Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto - will not start when hot
Moose

posted on 14/7/06 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto - will not start when hot

Hi all,

I have a Pinto (Vulcan 2.1) in a Tiger CAT. Ignition is via points, has twin Dellorto 45s.
Starting from cold is difficult - starting from warm or hot is impossible! Engine turns (slowly) but will not fire. Remove plugs and you get a decent spark. Any ideas appreciated!
Cheers

mookaloid

posted on 14/7/06 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps you have a lazy starter motor? i.e. it's on it's way out or maybe the battery is below par.

A high compression Pinto does take a bit of turning over so those parts need to be up to the job.

Obviously the ignition and timing should be tip top also. I have my doubts that points will give the best spark particularly when the starter is taking the lions share of the current from the battery, or if they are pitted and the gap is wrong etc

HTH

Mark

Anglia66

posted on 14/7/06 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
When it's hot is the electric rad fan on as this draws so much power it can prevent the starter motor from getting enough juice to turn over the engine fast enough to start it.
If you wait until the fan switches off and the engine starts ok then there's your problem and it's easily solved with a manual over-ride switch.

[Edited on 14/7/06 by Anglia66]

mookaloid

posted on 14/7/06 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Forgot to mention you would perhaps be better with some sort of electronic ignition. rather than the points.

Cheers

Mark

britishtrident

posted on 14/7/06 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
Problem is even older than the electric starter ---- too much static ignition advance.

Either retard the timing throughout the range or change the advance curve so you get less advance bellow idle speed..

britishtrident

posted on 14/7/06 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
Forgot to mention you would perhaps be better with some sort of electronic ignition. rather than the points.

Cheers

Mark

Suspect a stronger spark will actually make the problem worse.

rusty nuts

posted on 14/7/06 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Old tip from David Vizard is to use a starter from an Pinto automatic, it has more cranking power . Also to cut down on voltage drop on Motorcrap distributors make up and fit a small earth wire between the points securing screw and the baseplate securing screw and if it's still on bi pass the small black box on the side of the distributor. These mods should give a better spark when cranking.
Jon Ison

posted on 14/7/06 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Problem is even older than the electric starter ---- too much static ignition advance.

Either retard the timing throughout the range or change the advance curve so you get less advance bellow idle speed..

that would be my 1st port of call, ignition.

rusty nuts

posted on 14/7/06 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Have you checked the engine to battery earth cable connections?
westf27

posted on 14/7/06 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
you may have a decent spark with plugs removed but when the starter is turning engine under compression it may be robbing the coil of 12v supply if you have faulty connection eg engine earth

zilspeed

posted on 14/7/06 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
New starter on the Sylva cured this problem for me. It seemed like a poor battery, because cranking was very laboured. Tested the old starter out of the car and it seemed fine. Fitted a new starter and it whizzes over like a good thing - hot or cold.

I also go along with the over advanced ignition theory as well.

fully sideways

posted on 15/7/06 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have exactly the same problem when i have a large compression ratio.. Bigger battery and a change of starter motor fixed it ..

I would change the ignition as a matter of course even if the motor started ok..

Have you had the car on a set of rollers to have the whole set up checked ?? this may save you a lot of ££££ in the long run as you may not need to change anything ?

Andrew

Is throttle wide open ?

UncleFista

posted on 15/7/06 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

Or go with Megajolt

I've mapped my ignition so that there's very little advance up to 500 rpm, it makes a big difference when starting, it spins much quicker

It's made a massive difference to the overall running, the car just seems to pull like a train now, it's probably the big fat blue sparks from the Mondeo coilpack that make the difference rather than my amateurish attempts at mapping

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

fully sideways

posted on 15/7/06 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
Moose, If you are looking for a budget dizzy and electronic ignition i may have one that we can do a cheap deal on ..

It came from Roland Haynes of HT racing .. it has worked great on my Cozzie.

Andrew

Is throttle wide open ?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.