Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: vx xe baffle plate fitting
gregf27

posted on 19/7/06 at 10:56 PM Reply With Quote
vx xe baffle plate fitting

I've bought the vauxhall redtop shortened westfield sump, which came with the baffle plate already fitted to it,
on one web site I found, it said to fit the original baffle plate too?? and to use the rubber sump gasket - not the cork one??,
can anyone confirm that this is correct?

on the SBD web site it has mods to do to the baffle plate if fitting a dry sump system, ( am using the wet sump for now!) but if I do have to fit it, is there any mods to do to it first?
I thought the baffle plate fitted by westfield would be sufficient?? any ideas??
regards,
Greg

ned

posted on 20/7/06 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
Do you mean the curved windage tray to stop oil splash on the crank? I left mine out when i fitted the westfield sump to mine, but the only running the engine has had is on the rolling road. Can't remember which gasket I used tbh but I've heard a lot of people use the rubber gasket off the 8v.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
gregf27

posted on 20/7/06 at 07:43 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Ned,
yes its the windage tray I was referring too - getting confused!!,
Cant really see any benefits to having the baffle plate and the windage tray fitted?
I have got both types of sump gaskets, think i'll fit the rubber one.
regards
Greg

Danozeman

posted on 20/7/06 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure of the windage tray. If westy say fit it then i would.

As for the gasket. The rubber 8valve one is much better than the cork ones which tend to leak after a short time.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

ned

posted on 20/7/06 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
just remembered - some people have found problems with aftermarket rod bolts (ie cosworth or arp) fowling the windage tray - think this is the very reason i removed it from my engine. my opinion was also that the sump baffle includes a horizontal plate that should perform the same function as the windage tray.

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
apex

posted on 20/7/06 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Isn´t the windage tray to avoid that the crank has to push large volumes of oil? Hence some performance is gained by keeping it.

[Edited on 20/7/06 by apex]

ned

posted on 20/7/06 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
yes, what you say is correct but i don't know how much difference it makes in reality, maybe on a race car, but not on a road car.
the westfield sump has a horizontal baffle which I guess most of the oil capacity is meant to sit below so imho this acts in the same way as the windage tray, worst case it reduces any oil splash onto the crank by reducing oil surge/slop in the sump.

Ned.

[Edited on 20/7/06 by ned]

apex

posted on 20/7/06 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
OK, I´m not familiar with the Westfield one. Myself I´m waiting for my "Big Wing" one from Yuk Performance, provides 40 mm better ground clearence.
Stu16v

posted on 20/7/06 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Greg, fit the VX windage tray. One of the reasons is that when the oil is filled to Max on the dipstick (or to the bottom of the 'M' of Max if oil surge is to be prevented...), some of the oil will naturally be sat above the sump's baffle plate. The sump's baffle WILL NOT do the same job as the original windage tray.

The dipstick will need shortening, or a small hole will need to be drilled into the baffle plate. I chose the first option, as you only need to know when the oil is at Max, not Min...

IIRC the rubber gasket that some use is off the Ecotec 16v.

Dont just build it.....make it!

gregf27

posted on 20/7/06 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Stu
I'll clean the windage tray up tomorrow!!
I'm off work for a few months , as I've had a back fusion operation, and cant drive for a few weeks -Docs orders !!!
So I'm a bit limited to what I can do at the min!!
still ,I can make it to the garage and potter about!!! even managed some welding today!!
thanks again ,
Greg

apex

posted on 21/7/06 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Stu16v
Greg, fit the VX windage tray. One of the reasons is that when the oil is filled to Max on the dipstick (or to the bottom of the 'M' of Max if oil surge is to be prevented...), some of the oil will naturally be sat above the sump's baffle plate. The sump's baffle WILL NOT do the same job as the original windage tray.

The dipstick will need shortening, or a small hole will need to be drilled into the baffle plate. I chose the first option, as you only need to know when the oil is at Max, not Min...

IIRC the rubber gasket that some use is off the Ecotec 16v.

I heard of a guy having problem with the oil light coming on occasionaly, during cornering, with the Westfiels tray. Could this be related to the above?

Stu16v

posted on 21/7/06 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Most of the commercially available low line VX sumps seem to allow oil surge under certain conditons. Keeping the oil level above Max helps - but the only real answer is a dry sump kit. It does depend on how you drive, how well the car corners/brakes, and how valuable your engine is...!

Greg, get well soon mate. Do you still want to have a poke around my car?

Dont just build it.....make it!

gregf27

posted on 21/7/06 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Stu,
I would love to get the chance to have a look round your car and pick your brains (a lot!)
I'm only done the road from you, I'll give you a call over the weekend mate, and try to jack up a time
ive still got your mobile no in my phone ,
cheers , Greg

mickebo

posted on 21/7/06 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
I´m using the sump gasket from X20XEV, rubber and plate moulded together. Works great.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.