bernard
Junior Builder

Posts 9
Registered 24/2/06

Photo Archive Go!
Building: robin hood , zetec 1800, bike carbs ,mega jolt

posted on 21/7/06 at 05:28 AM Reply With Quote
zetec mapping

hi, can anyone in this laptop help me because i am running out of ideas. I have i nstalled a zetec 1800 , running bike carbs and mega jolt . electronic ignition in my robin hood 2b plus. I have a missfire at 4000 revs in top gear despite trying every possible map i can find i still have this problem. last week bogg brothers set up the carbs for me but its still missfiring at 4000. any ideas or help would be very gratefully received, Bernie

[Edited on 21/7/06 by bernard]

rayward

posted on 21/7/06 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

and welcome.

have you used screened cable for the connection bewteen the VR sensor and the EDIS unit??.

if so, is the screen only connected to ground at ONE end??.

Ray

paulf

posted on 21/7/06 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
Also check that the earthing point is a common connection for all the shields at the Edis unit, I connected the VR, pip and saw cable sheilds together and earthed them on a tag on the Edis mounting bolt.
Also would be worth trying another coilpack and checking the rev limiter is not set to low.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by rayward
Hi,

and welcome.

have you used screened cable for the connection bewteen the VR sensor and the EDIS unit??.

if so, is the screen only connected to ground at ONE end??.

Ray

Surrey Dave

posted on 21/7/06 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
How did Bogg Bros set the carbs if it misfires at 4000rpm , does it clear and reach full revs OK , did it misfire on the rolling road?
TangoMan

posted on 21/7/06 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bernard
last week bogg brothers set up the carbs for me but its still missfiring at 4000. any ideas or help would be very gratefully received, Bernie

[Edited on 21/7/06 by bernard]

If they set up the carbs, how come it is still missing. Was this done static or on a rolling road. If it was done static with no load them it would suggest your problem to be electrical. Either earthing of screened cable as suggested or possibly just a lead breaking down.
How far is your sensor from your toothed wheel.
I would suggest getting it on a rolling road as you can then analyse what is happneing when it satrts to miss. Could be one cylinder, could be them all. At least you will see what is happening with the spark so can exclude it.

Summer's here!!!!

bernard
Junior Builder

Posts 9
Registered 24/2/06

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 21/7/06 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
hi, in answer to a few of your questions it only missfires in top gear at 4000 revs . When it was on the rolling road he did not have it in top gear ,it was fine in the others.When i took it out on the road to try it i coulnt find a road long enough ,it was missing ever so slightly . I told the old guy at bogg brothers who suggested new champion plugs would cure it so i got those but still no better.It probably wasnt a proper rolling road he was just tuning the carbs because it was running a bit weak.As for the screening of the vr senser i didnt know it had to be earthed at both ends. Help ! bernie
rusty nuts

posted on 21/7/06 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
Are you using the standard Ford HT leads ? have known them to break down and cause problems . From experience I would not use Champion plugs , would recommend NGK . You may find if it is the leads you might have problems with the plugs even though they are new . Also try parking somewhere dark and lifting bonnet, check HT leads/coil for small sparks tracking out . BUT DON'T try this in a garage !
MkIndy7

posted on 21/7/06 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
Every map you can find?

That could be one of your problems

Unless your very accurate at setting the disk and sencor you could be out on your TDC... hence your map might not be correct for everybody elses.

Might be worth advancing and retarding a good map by 5 deg over the whole table to see if it helps. I.e what was 10 deg becomes 5 deg etc.

Is is running a MAP or TPS System? maybe it could be a weird value on either.

Have you watched the runtime display when it hits the problematic situation?

paulf

posted on 21/7/06 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
It should NOT be earthed at both ends , only the edis end.
Paul
quote:
[iAs for the screening of the vr senser i didnt know it had to be earthed at both ends. Help ! bernie

Surrey Dave

posted on 21/7/06 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
It could still be a bit weak then , if it couldn't be measured in top gear on the rollers.

When mine was a little weak it was undrivable on the motorway in top ( full load).

What size carbs ,what size main jet did you end up with?

They look like R1 carbs in your achive , most people seem to be jetted around 170 - 190.

[Edited on 21/7/06 by Surrey Dave]

bernard
Junior Builder

Posts 9
Registered 24/2/06

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 21/7/06 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
hi, yes they are R1 carbs , I just had a look and the jets are 140s,
Surrey Dave

posted on 21/7/06 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
If they are 140's that sounds small , my carbs are 38mm and i'm jetted at 160 , you will have to check whether they really are 140 or if Bogg Bros drilled them larger ,which is quite likely , you'll need some micro drills to put in the hole.

Or ask Bogg Bros i'm sure they would remember , they do lots of R1 carbs I believe

[Edited on 21/7/06 by Surrey Dave]

bernard
Junior Builder

Posts 9
Registered 24/2/06

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 23/7/06 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
thanks for all the feedback ,I have started a process of elimination ,relaced plugs, new coil pack on , checked the wires from the throttle sensor,I am going to put some new leads on working my way back to the EDIS then the megajolt. Keep everybody informed if i ever find out what i did wrong ,cheers
MikeRJ

posted on 24/7/06 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Possibly a fuel starvation problem. What fuel pump are you using?
bernard
Junior Builder

Posts 9
Registered 24/2/06

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 4/8/06 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
I am running a fireblade pump which Bogg Bros said would be fine .I did a flow test on the pump and it is fine.I managed to get a disk from Emerald so I am going to try to sort a map out .I will keep trying thanks.
bernard
Junior Builder

Posts 9
Registered 24/2/06

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 9/8/06 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all, I would like to thank paulf for his help ,he made the megajolt for me and was kind enough to come all the way from kettering to help with the missfire, it turned out to be a problem with the advance on full throttle ,I would recommend him if any one wants a megajolt building . He is on the locost site if anyone wants to get in touch with him , I couldnt have sorted it out without his help , thanks for everyones help and advice .
paulf

posted on 9/8/06 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Bernie
Glad we got it sorted and your happy with it, i was very impressed with the performance it was fun going flat out whilst Mapping it , the bike carbs seem to work well in conjunction with the megajolt I really need to get the zetec in mine but may have problems with the height of it.

Bernie Just thought you may like to check the rev limiter set point, on my copy of the map I started with the limit is set to 6000 rpm, I know it was reving to 7000 but the soft limit may be coming in so would check its set to 7000 or more.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by bernard
Hi all, I would like to thank paulf for his help ,he made the megajolt for me and was kind enough to come all the way from kettering to help with the missfire, it turned out to be a problem with the advance on full throttle ,I would recommend him if any one wants a megajolt building . He is on the locost site if anyone wants to get in touch with him , I couldnt have sorted it out without his help , thanks for everyones help and advice .

[Edited on 9/8/06 by paulf]

bernard
Junior Builder

Posts 9
Registered 24/2/06

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 9/8/06 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
If you need any help paul dont be afraid ring me ,I know a bloke who does ally welding .Its a shame you cant lay it flat like we put it in the back of your car !

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.