Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: porsche engines?
02GF74

posted on 21/7/06 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
porsche engines?

anyone using one? or not locost enough.

Or is rear drive the problem for mating to a gearbox.

I would have thought a flat 4 or 6 in the front would do wongers for CoG but then what do I know......

iank

posted on 21/7/06 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
The 6 cylinder boxers are probably too wide for a 7.

Possible for a middy with gearbox mods to turn them round the 'proper' way (straightforward allegedly).

Turning the engine round might make them rotate the wrong way for a normal FWD gearbox, but I'm not sure which way they rotate so I couldn't be sure - someone will be along soon to let us all know

NS Dev

posted on 21/7/06 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
flat 6 porsche engines cost a FORTUNE!!

trust me I have looked for a long time at using one in the back of a grasser!

Ideal engine but £3000 for a fairly crap one is too much money!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

apex

posted on 21/7/06 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
A Subaru engine with turbo.....
Alan_Thomas

posted on 21/7/06 at 03:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by iank

Turning the engine round might make them rotate the wrong way for a normal FWD gearbox, but I'm not sure which way they rotate so I couldn't be sure - someone will be along soon to let us all know

This takes me back - When I was a student many years ago I helped a friend change the transaxle in his beetle. The only transaxle we could get came from a VW van. The guy assured us that all we had to do was remove the 'reduction boxes' from the ends of each halfshaft and replace them with our back plates and drums from the old unit. No problem doing that and after a about a day and a half every thing was back together.

Start the engine, select reverse and bang we hit the front garage wall. Running perfectly 1 forward and 4 reverse gears!

The reduction boxes reversed the drive and in a van box they build the crownwheel on the other side of the diff

John Bonnett

posted on 21/7/06 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Probably missing the point here but a 944 Turbo develops 250 horse power and is front engine with transaxle. How about that for weight distribution. Although I used to own one I have no idea whether the bits would go into a Locost but they are a reasonable price (well the non turbo ones are anyway)

John

zetec7

posted on 21/7/06 at 08:49 PM Reply With Quote
There's a fellow bulding a 7 using 924 running gear on the US Locost Builder's site. I have a 944 myself, and wwould have thought the engines to be too high, but then they are leaned over a fair bit in the original car, so it might fit. As far as the transaxle is concerned, it also contains the IRS, so that is something else taken care of. However, they are designe to use a "torque tube" to join the engine and transaxle together solidly, with a driveshaft running inside it - that would have to be engineered. But, it has been done!!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark Allanson

posted on 21/7/06 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
The 924 2.0 engine is basically the VW LT28 engine, I would have thought there would be a strong possibility that the LT gearbox could be adapted to fit (or may just fit without mods)

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.