Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: daft but interesting question
NS Dev

posted on 27/7/06 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
daft but interesting question

Quick question, any ideas how it might be possible to arrange an external hydraulic pressure feed to an automatic gearbox such as a vauxhall cavalier one for example??

I have been toying with the idea of removing the torque convertor from one and altering it to drive through a conventional clutch, but this then also removes the hydraulic pump, which is obviously required for the shift hydraulics.

The idea is obviously to get a hydraulic clutchless powershift box but with a normal clutch for the startline and to avoid the parasitic losses of the convertor.

Problem is I have no idea what pressure and flow requirements the clutch packs in the box have!

The idea is to have a play with the old grasser once I have built the new one, and sorting out a powershift box was one idea that might be cheap and effective!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

ned

posted on 27/7/06 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
no idea really but would a hydraulic power steering pump be able to be rigged up in any useful way?

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
3GEComponents

posted on 27/7/06 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
I remember reading somewhere about 4x4 racers (land rover/range rover specials) using small torque converters for racing, they gave fantastic acceleration but tended to overheat on long stints.
MustangSix

posted on 27/7/06 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
If you do a google for B&M Clutchflite or B&M hydro stick transmissions, you'll find some info.

Basically, you add a clutch in place of the torque converter and you're left with a planetary transmission that can be shifted without a clutch after launch. It's primary application was in drag racing where you are more concerned with upshifts during the 1/4 mile run.

Also do a Google for the Wilson preselector transmission, another planetary that was popular in racing in the 30's thru the 50's.

[Edited on 27/7/06 by MustangSix]

paulf

posted on 27/7/06 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Isnt the hydraulic pump seperate to the torque converter? If so you just need to arrange an input shaft and clutch some how.
Paul.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.