Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pinto will not turn over
Moose

posted on 27/7/06 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Pinto will not turn over

Hi guys,
Need help again! Recently I had a Pinto which would not start when hot - now I have a pinto that will not turn over with the starter.
When I turn the key it sounds like the starter is engaging but jamming. So got a another starter from scrappy - same problem. On bench starter appears fine - ie pinion flys out and spins. I can turn the engine over with a spannner (it is hard though - how hard should it be?).
Engine is a Pinto modified by Vulcan (2.1 , 165hp ) and has done ~700 miles.

Any thoughts appreciated before I despair! (getting fed up on life on y back with nose 2 inches from starter).

Oh - jump start from another car makes no difference. Also tried extra earth from battery to engine block- nope.
Cheers
M

splitrivet

posted on 27/7/06 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
If the starter works OK out of the engine.

Sounds like youve got a mismatch between starter and flywheel,the same thing happened to me.

Check if the flywheel teeth are close to the rear of the engine or whether they are spaced away from the rear of the engine through the starter motor hole.Then get a starter that matches that type of flywheel from the scrappies.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

bob

posted on 27/7/06 at 04:49 PM Reply With Quote
Check timing, if your 180 degs out which is possible it will only just turn over.

snapper

posted on 27/7/06 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
A phone call to Vulcan.
I remember another builder that had a problem and it was sorted very efficiently. Sounds to me like the barings have got a bit tight. Last weekend i turned my 2.1 over with my hands round the flywheel so you should be able to turn it with a long ring spanner.

Macbeast

posted on 27/7/06 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
Is this the same starter that used to work?

If so, it's obviously not mismatch starter / ring

Have you checked connection battery to starter ? You could connect spare battery directly to starter terminal and starter mount via jump leads to eliminate voltage drop in car wiring to see if the engine will then turn over.

splitrivet

posted on 28/7/06 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like an engine swap,which is what I did and used the flywheel that was on the new engine.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Moose

posted on 31/7/06 at 10:32 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys.
OK had a good look at the flywheel.
Looks like my flywheel is farther than the pinnion on the latest starter reaches! I had one older starter that just reached but as the engine is tough to starter is started slipping and trashing the flywheel. Hopefully it will be OK if I can get the corect starter!
The replacement starter from scrappy just could not throw out the pinion far enough.
Now I just need to get a starter that will reach but how the heck I find that as I have no model # etc...!!
Guess I need to trawl some scrappies.
Did actually manage to start it on Sat with the older starter (and went for a blast ;-) ) but darn't keep trying as that starter is slipping and I fear trashing me flywheel!

I look forward to the day I just turn the key and it starts!
Cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.