Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Arc or Mig?
Alfa145

posted on 28/7/06 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Arc or Mig?

New owner of a secondhand locost here, bought fully built and reg'ed (cheated I know)

I'm looking for a welder, I have never welded before but need to learn to make a few adjustments, so nothing major, my budget is quite small about £150ish so I could get a low power mig, about 95amp gasless or a better quality arc but which would be best to go for? Which is easier to use/setup by a complete novice?

Cheers for you help

DIY Si

posted on 28/7/06 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Gas mig. Easy to learn with and easier to use than gasless. Get something capable of 130-150 amps.
Alfa145

posted on 28/7/06 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers but for £150ish? I must be looking in the wrong places then
RazMan

posted on 28/7/06 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
As said, gas mig all the way

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 28/7/06 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Many on here will slate the SIP tiff, but I've done just fine with it. Even got it from halfrauds. Or you could ebay something? Someone will be along shortly with more ideas.
froggy

posted on 28/7/06 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
where are you? im sure someone near you will show you how to use one
Alfa145

posted on 28/7/06 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Something like this then?

Linky...

bit more than I was looking to pay but as it's only for minor fixes and mods is a gas one worthwhile?

Alfa145

posted on 28/7/06 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froggy
where are you? im sure someone near you will show you how to use one

Profile updated with my location

RazMan

posted on 28/7/06 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alfa145

Linky...

bit more than I was looking to pay but as it's only for minor fixes and mods is a gas one worthwhile?

The very one that I have got - easy to train on and will handle up to 4-5mm steel reasonably well. Gas is always an expensive consumeable but so much better than gasless.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Danozeman

posted on 28/7/06 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Thats the welder iv got aswell. Works a treat.

Youl get one for less than that site. Have a look at tooled up.co.uk or machine mart.co.uk Im sure youl find a 130 for your money.

If your looking to buy new dont go lower than 130.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

mark chandler

posted on 28/7/06 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
You will not want to use disposable bottles as they cost a fortune, invest in a regulator and borrow a pub gas bottle.

CO2 does not weld as nicely as argoshield but spray with anti-splatter before starting improves things.

If you have never welded before ARC would be a steep learning curve as its suited to thicker metal, MIG makes a bad welder look good.

You are probally best buying a second hand set off Ebay with everthing included.

Regards Mark

[Edited on 28/7/06 by mark chandler]

Alfa145

posted on 28/7/06 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
So I take it from the reccomendations so far that gasless is a bad idea?

[Edited on 28/7/06 by Alfa145]

caber

posted on 28/7/06 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
OK here is a controversial idea. Go Gas! Oxy Acetelene is by far the most versatile method of welding and you can add gas cutting for not a great deal of extra cash. It does require skill and you will need lessons but once you can gas weld it is reasonably easy to pick up TIG which is the best arc/metal welding system, a bit expensive in original capital outlay but so good!

Caber

Chippy

posted on 28/7/06 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Definately gas, gasless is a real pain. I have a Seally Mig 100, I think the max amps are about 80, and this will weld all that you will want to do. I know that it will weld 3mm steel with ease, and at a pinch will even handle 6mm, using two or three pass's. When doing work on a Locost you are normaly welding 1.5 or 1.6 mm thick, with the odd 3mm. So IMHO there is absolutely no need for a high amps welder. Oh and I have had it since 1984, never had to buy a spare, and it has built four cars, and welded umpteen items for other people, includiong S/Steel boat parts. Get a cheap one, learn to weld, and if the need arrises, buy a bigger one later. Just my ten pence worth. Regards Ray.
Catpuss

posted on 29/7/06 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
quote:

Linky...

The very one that I have got - easy to train on and will handle up to 4-5mm steel reasonably well. Gas is always an expensive consumeable but so much better than gasless.

I've seen one of those in the local Halfords , IIRC £150.

Machine mart do another 130W one that got a good auto trader review. They do bottles for about a tenner each (I presume disposables).

You can get a trade card from them to get some discount too. I got one thrust upon me becuase I wanted to get some spanners. I guess the spod behind the desk wanted to keep up his reputation of the area #1 trade counter person type thing.

Then again the other cluess f**kwhit at another Halfords store said (standing next to a MIG welder) that they only did the small hand held ones. I asked him "wot like those ones in Aliens?"

lexi

posted on 30/7/06 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Iwill be selling a Sip 130 when I get my Mutha Fucka unit. My little Sip has welded my chassis and more. Has new metal liner and big bottle adaptor. 5yrs old works perfect.
Alex

MikeRJ

posted on 31/7/06 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
So I take it from the reccomendations so far that gasless is a bad idea?

Not sure why people are so against it to be honest. The downsides are primarily the high cost of the wire and the fact that you get a flux deposit left on the weld so it needs wire brushing afterwards.

However, if you are only ever going to use a MIG for the occaisional small job it works fine, and actualy works better than gas if you have to weld outside in a breeze.

People frequently mention "borrowing" pub bottles as well, I would love to do this but where on earth do you borrow them from? My local pub isn't interested in loaning one. Also the high capacity small bottles last a long time IME, I did most of my chassis with one, including welding the steel floor on.

One thing I would say is that 90Amps is really only suitable for light gauge metal. I used a 100Amp MIG for a lot of my chassis and it was always maxed out welding 16 gauge ERW, though it did a pretty decent job. Now I have a 150Amp and the difference is huge, you can confidently tackle 3mm plate etc. without worrying about penetration.

[Edited on 31/7/06 by MikeRJ]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.