Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Book chassis engineered??
SkinnyG

posted on 29/7/06 at 05:08 AM Reply With Quote
Book chassis engineered??

My local Inspection Supervisor requires evidence that the Locost chassis design (or better, the Book with Aussie mods) has been certified by a Mechanical Engineer.

Can anyone help me out at all?

Without this I am pretty royally screwed.

My car has passed Structural Integrity and welding has been ok'd by a ticketted welder. I just need a paper that says something to the effect of the design being as good or better than the original 7 frame it replicates.

Please help....

Greg

The Lethal Locost

zetec7

posted on 29/7/06 at 05:37 AM Reply With Quote
Where are you located? I'm in BC, and here we just need a certificate of structural integrity first (for the frame & suspension mounts), then a general inspection when it's built. The structural integrity guy's certificate is all that's required for the frame, nothing about the design of the frame itself. I'm thinking the guy's leading you down the garden path....is this a government inspector, or a private company? Worst comes to worst, ship it to a neighboring province with friendlier rules, register it, drive it home and transfer to new plates. Screw em! After all, if you buy a new Toyota you don't get a mechanical engineer's certificate!!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zetec7

posted on 29/7/06 at 05:48 AM Reply With Quote
I've just looked at your website, and it appears you're in BC as well. The process is to take your certificate of structural integrity to ICBC, get a BC-assigned VIN, then take the completed car to an approved testing facility (eg. Canadian Tire, etc.) for final inspection. Talk to your friends, find a FRIENDLY inspection station, and you're done. What the guy's asking for does not exist...he just doesn't like home-builts, and won't approve them no matter what paperwork you get. Find another guy, and you're away to the races.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
SkinnyG

posted on 29/7/06 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
My guy was cautious, and called MoT (gov't inspector) to come take a look. Everything went to hell in hand bag from there.

Check ICBC's section "3.17 Altered Cars and Trucks" - Replica reg requirments vs. Ubilt reg requirements - I may have an out.

G

The Lethal Locost

zetec7

posted on 29/7/06 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
I don't think you've got a problem, if you find the right inspector. You definitely want to go with Ubilt - no need to provbide any of the specs of the original, then, and not comparing yours to any others...just have to show that yours is structurally sound, which you've already done. Go to a different inspection facility (busy ones are good - they want to get you in, inspected, passed, and out the door).
Gunner1

posted on 29/7/06 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
Yikes, unfortunate turn of events, but
check out the Specialty Vehicle Assoication which could prove quite helpful. They can be found at www.sva.bc.ca

They have worked hard to develop a good relationship with ICBC to deal with situations like this and might come up with some options/resources.

Hopefully you can pick up your marbles, go home, and hide until the dust settles....

Here in BC government officials are so paranoid, they spend much of their time sitting in their little cubicles thinking about how paranoid everyone thinks they are....

(I speak from experience)

James

posted on 29/7/06 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SkinnyG
the design being as good or better than the original 7 frame it replicates.

Greg

Weird! How does that work if you're car isn't a replica? ie. a totally scratch built car of your own design?

Or does it come under different set of rules then?

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

SkinnyG

posted on 29/7/06 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
There are two ways to your car is registered. Replica (which looks like something previously made) and Ubilt (which looks unique).

Replicas need only meet our provincial safety standards.

Ubilts need to pass provincial safety standards, federal safety standards (including impact standards), structural integrity, and engineer's report.

I appear to be the only one in the province who has been put through this process. I'm not overly happy about it.

Has nobody had the frame checked out?

Is Uncle Ron actually an engineer?

Greg

The Lethal Locost

Peteff

posted on 29/7/06 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Show them the book, how can they doubt it?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Canada EH!

posted on 29/7/06 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Book chassis Engineered

Must be the mild winters, and too much rain, Stay away from the Federal stuff, In Ontario (were real cars are made) the same rules apply as a re-sale vehicle lights, brakes, exhaust, and general appearence. What does the Provincial Government Insurance have to say? There are problems here with Private Insurance, neighbour is paying $2600.00 a year for a SS 100 Jag kit on a VW chassis.
Arthur Dent

posted on 29/7/06 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
Leugo had their chassis studied by Crane University (or similar) - maybe one of them could copy the report for you.

'The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.' Douglas Adams

Chippy

posted on 29/7/06 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
I thought things were bad enough in the UK, it sounds as though you have us beat, (in trumps), over there. I'm sure if you stick at it you will win out in the end. You can't be the only person to have scratch built a Locost in Canada, there must be dozens, (or more). Regards Ray.
SkinnyG

posted on 30/7/06 at 03:26 AM Reply With Quote
I have the Wesley Linton document you're thinking of. The Luego isn't really the book chassis, but maybe it's close enough. It doesn't really say anywhere that the design is roadworthy.

From what I understand, I am a very unique case. Generally it is relatively easy to get a vehicle registered. I know of nobody else being required to get the chassis engineered.

Still, anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

The Lethal Locost

leto

posted on 30/7/06 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I think there are some plans for a Lotus 7 frame at McSorley's site. Just comparing plans might be enough to convince someone creditable to write that paper.

“I'm gonna ride around in style
I'm gonna drive everybody wild
'Cause I'll have the only one there is a round”. (J. Cash)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.