Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Job
AlexS

posted on 1/8/06 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
New Job

Bit of advice needed...

Im going for a career change, and as i have minimal commitments (no wife or mortgage) and minimal brain cells i haev handed in my notice before securing another job (the joys of being 22!)

I'm hoping to get into gas installation and plumbing but having some problems locating anywhere that can train me! Tried a couple of the big companies (british gas, Centrica, Kiers) and none are advertising for new trainees. Im in sheffield although can move back to Manchester (if i absolutely have too) was wondering if anyone on here knows of a good place to go looking for an apprenticeship?

Cheers Al

Coose

posted on 1/8/06 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Have a look here and do a search for gas fitting in Sheffield. That may be a good start.

Also, do a Google search for Mowlem, EMCOR, McAlpines etc., i.e. all of the bigger M&E maintenance companies as they tend to take on apprenctices.

Spin 'er off Well...

AlexS

posted on 1/8/06 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Ah excellent cheers lets see what i can find

Al

Coose

posted on 1/8/06 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Try here too!

Spin 'er off Well...

AlexS

posted on 1/8/06 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
Ah of course Corgi that would be obvious!

Only found 1 place thats recruiting so far and they are looking at september 2007

Rumour has it British Gas have loads of places but they seem to be keeping quiet about it! I know a couple of manchester staff with British Gas so much as Id rather be in sheffield i may have to move back to manchester if thats where the work is

Hellfire

posted on 1/8/06 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
British Gas: considering a few years ago they were paying daft money for fitters/service technicians with little/no experience are now paying the consequences with massive losses. I would not work for them purely under the risk of them making a mass clearout of the afore mentioned.

Steve

AlexS

posted on 1/8/06 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Yes i saw the losses on the news too but having spoken to someone who has worked with British Gas for years, apparently they are still short of people

And to be honest im not arsed if they lay me off as long as they train me first :-P once trained theres plenty of work out there

My main problem seems to be that i am over qualified-dont want to sound big headed but they ask for 3 GCSEs or a year on the job seekers allowance gets you priority and i have 11 GCSEs, 4 A levels, 2 years of accountancy and business management study and a good years work experience :-/

DarrenW

posted on 1/8/06 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
There is a simple way around the qualifications thing - dont declare them. Just tell them about the GCSE's. Only problem it might bring up is the hole in your CV between leaving school and first job.

There is nothing wrong with tailoring a CV for a particular job. Im not saying lying here, just perhaps omit some of the over-quals. What is most important is that you never declare a skill, experience or qual that you dont have as that can lead to dismissal. Ive never however heard of someone being dismissed for having more quals that were required or declared - i stand to be corrected though.

AlexS

posted on 1/8/06 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm good plan, just had a quick chat with current boss (very friendly despite me leaving which is a bonus) and he offered to reference me for 3 years working so as to hide the university time. That should help. Gonna speak to a couple of mates tonight see if i cant pull some strings behind the scenes

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.