Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra diff size
Daft Lad Picko

posted on 2/8/06 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra diff size

I bought a 3.38 sierra diesel diff from MNR and am toying with putting quaife internals in. What size are they classed as: 6 1/2 inch (usually associated with 4x4's), 7 inch, 7 1/2 inch (usually associated with cosworths) or 9 inch (whoa there big fella!!!)?

Have been ill over the last few months so building has stopped, but I'm back on it, hope to have it ready for SVA'ing in the next couple of months. By the way Howlor, if you're reading this, your car looks the dogs choddies, fancy a breakfast at the Redbeck so you can show her of to me?

Cheers

Neil

There are two prices....the real one and the one you tell the wife!

RichieC

posted on 2/8/06 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Majority are 7". 7.5" as you say were RWD Cosworth and some Scorpios.

The larger diffs were Ford Motorsport special builds.

Out of interest why are you looking to put Quaife bits in?

Rgds

Rich

[Edited on 2/8/06 by RichieC]

Daft Lad Picko

posted on 2/8/06 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Out of interest why are you looking to put Quaife bits in?

The diff is currently out, I have no idea of what nick the internals are in and how am I gonna get the tail out like G Man with the inner wheel wearing my tyre out?
Plus I like donuts

Seriously though, I'm contemplating it at the build stage cos I wanna drive it as much as possible once built, not have to jack it all up again at some later date to drop the diff.

What diff are you running Rich?

Cheers

Neil

RichieC

posted on 3/8/06 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
Sierra diffs are generally very reliable things, unless the car it came from had a massive mileage on it Id be pretty content it was fine.

I certainly wouldnt be shelling out for quaife internals. If you have doubts about the internals, its a very easy job to pop the cover off and have a look, any damage is easy to spot.

Im running a 3.62 LSD. Not sure if I misunderstood your post but it wont be a worn diff which is preventing you from getting the tail out and generally buggering about - you need an LSD to do it properly.

Rgds

Rich

[Edited on 3/8/06 by RichieC]

G.Man

posted on 3/8/06 at 06:55 AM Reply With Quote
Richie

Thats why he wants quaiffe lsd internals..

I am using the 3.62 Cossie myself, but the 3.38 7inch with quaiffe internals and those lightweight half shafts will be much lighter...

[Edited on 3/8/06 by G.Man]

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

mcerd1

posted on 3/8/06 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
6.5" = front diffs form 4x4's (completly different)

9" = motorsport (completly different)

7" = normal, in rear of most sierras and all 4x4's

7.5" = cossies (and some later DOHC & Zetecs)

Your will be either a 7" or 7.5"

the easy way to tell is from the front/ top mounting:

if it has tapped holes like the bottom ones its a 7.5"

if it has plain holes and a long through bolt its a 7"

See FSOC: http://forum.fordsierraclub.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5843&highlight=diffs

Krismc

posted on 3/8/06 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
the easy way is too measure it!!!!

isnt it???

if its 7 then its a 7 and so on??

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

RichieC

posted on 4/8/06 at 06:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
6.5" = front diffs form 4x4's (completly different)

7.5" = cossies (and some later DOHC & Zetecs)

Just in case thats a bit misleading. Only RWD cosworths have the 7.5" LSD. The 4x4 has the same 3.62 7" LSD as the XR4x4/2.0 4x4.

quote:
Originally posted by G.Man
Richie

Thats why he wants quaiffe lsd internals..

I am using the 3.62 Cossie myself, but the 3.38 7inch with quaiffe internals and those lightweight half shafts will be much lighter...

[Edited on 3/8/06 by G.Man]

Ah ok, still think its an expensive option of getting a LSD.
Weight wise, you could always do what I did and combine the lighter weight shafts from a non LSD with the CV joints from the LSD....best of both worlds.

snapper

posted on 12/8/06 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
I know i am adding this post well after the interest has gone however it may help. 3.38 will be a 7" diff and the easier/cheaper option is to find a 3.6 LSD from a 2.8 sierra or a 3.9 from a DOHC 4x4 and take your crown wheel and pinion out and replace it with your 3.38. May need setting up by some one that knows diffs but will be loads cheaper than a Quaife
RichieC

posted on 13/8/06 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
I know i am adding this post well after the interest has gone however it may help. 3.38 will be a 7" diff and the easier/cheaper option is to find a 3.6 LSD from a 2.8 sierra or a 3.9 from a DOHC 4x4 and take your crown wheel and pinion out and replace it with your 3.38. May need setting up by some one that knows diffs but will be loads cheaper than a Quaife

2.8 Sierra being only an XR4x4 (which also came in 2.9)
3.62 LSD only came in 4x4 cars.

Rich

Daft Lad Picko

posted on 16/8/06 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info fellas, it's much appreciated. 7" it is then (but don't tell our lass!!). After talking to Marc at the Harrogate show, I think I'm gonna just build it as is and upgrade through winter. Not keen on the Ford LSD idea, I've heard from people in the know that they are hit and miss at best and better to splash out the extra and fit a Quaife.

Cheers

Neil

chockymonster

posted on 16/8/06 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Daft Lad Picko
Thanks for the info fellas, it's much appreciated. 7" it is then (but don't tell our lass!!). After talking to Marc at the Harrogate show, I think I'm gonna just build it as is and upgrade through winter. Not keen on the Ford LSD idea, I've heard from people in the know that they are hit and miss at best and better to splash out the extra and fit a Quaife.

That's exactly what I'm doing when funds allow.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.