posted on 4/8/06 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
locost £1995
and w7de i think was £2170

Fat boy 1

posted on 8/8/06 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
Still the best value as kit for the money. I think any way.But then I have one
nludkin

posted on 8/8/06 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I will be creating mine from scratch next time. Much better value for money :-)
BKLOCO

posted on 8/8/06 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nludkin
Personally I will be creating mine from scratch next time. Much better value for money :-)

That depends what value you put on your time......
If I can earn roughly £25 / hr then to build a chassis, Bones, dedion etc. would cost a darn site more than I paid for the GTS one.
And it wouldn't be jig welded.

But hey each to their own.
Maybe some don't have the same earning potential.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

nludkin

posted on 8/8/06 at 11:22 AM Reply With Quote
Some people place value on enjoyment of their hobbies.

And why do you feel you have to do cheap snipes at peoples earning potentials? Regardless of what people earn they can always afford what they set their mind to.

I would rather spend some quality time doing my hobby than doing my very very badly paid IT consultancy work.

[Edited on 8/8/06 by nludkin]

craig1410

posted on 8/8/06 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
Come on lads, put your handbags away...

I don't think BKLOCO meant to offend and he is correct in that you are unlikely to be able to build your car from scratch even at minimum wage levels ! However, having (almost) built my own car from scratch I and many others on the forum appreciate how satisfying it can be. This is something which is almost impossible for anyone to appreciate unless they have experienced it themselves.

A good example of this was the other week when I failed miserably to explain to my work mates why the Top Gear crew building a Caterham 7 in 8 hours was somewhat different to what I have been doing for the last 4 years+. I just couldn't make them understand the difference much to my frustration...

Anyway, each to his/her own. Personally, now that I have built a car from scratch I think next time I'll buy a kit - or at least a chassis.

Cheers,
Craig.

jonnyfinn

posted on 8/8/06 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
When i get my kit i will get it as a kit coz i dont trust myself to pass the sva with making it all myself.
BKLOCO

posted on 8/8/06 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Tut tut
Someone's a bit touchy...
I was not sniping at anyone I was simply putting another point of view... and illustrating it...

If you wish to take life so seriously and you hate your job so much just remember you allways have an option....

I value my many hobbies very highly but I happen to think that sometimes you have to stand back and view the whole picture from your own perspective.

Have a nice day!

quote:
Some people place value on enjoyment of their hobbies.

And why do you feel you have to do cheap snipes at peoples earning potentials? Regardless of what people earn they can always afford what they set their mind to.

I would rather spend some quality time doing my hobby than doing my very very badly paid IT consultancy work.

[Edited on 8/8/06 by nludkin]

nludkin

posted on 8/8/06 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
What I was originally saying about building the next one myself was merely meant to be a reflection on the fact that anyone can do it if they set their mind to it. It wasn't really meant to be a question regarding the economics of it as I am sure that everyone on here knows that a hobby rarely makes economic sense.

But it's great to say you've made a car yourself. It's even better if you can say it was completely from scratch :-)

BKLOCO

posted on 8/8/06 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
What I was originally saying about building the next one myself was merely meant to be a reflection on the fact that anyone can do it if they set their mind to it. It wasn't really meant to be a question regarding the economics of it as I am sure that everyone on here knows that a hobby rarely makes economic sense.

But it's great to say you've made a car yourself. It's even better if you can say it was completely from scratch :-)

IYHO?

nludkin

posted on 8/8/06 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BKLOCO
Tut tut
Someone's a bit touchy...
I was not sniping at anyone I was simply putting another point of view... and illustrating it...

If you wish to take life so seriously and you hate your job so much just remember you allways have an option....

I apologise if my offense to your finance illustration caused counter offence.

Also, am I missing something? Who said I hate my job? I love my job :-)

nludkin

posted on 8/8/06 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I agree :-)

Let's stick together and keep building :-)

dozracing

posted on 9/8/06 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Hi all,

I don't think the prices have gone up recently. I tend to change whats offered in the kit, and adjust the price accordingly, mainly i add more stuff that i see as being useful. I like to present as long a list of included items as possible.

We became VAT registered back last August so i had to charge VAT, but, that didn't effect the price much because iall my own costs reduced by 17.5%

I think Nathans right to a degree, the concept we started out with was to keep GTS as far in line with the original book principles of build it yourself as possible. Our chassis was first offered as plans, before we started making them solely becuase ome people weren't confident with making their own.

Now i look at it from my own (non-GTS) point of view and building a chassis was hard work for me, and i wanted my car finished faster than i could fabricate so i would in hindsight have bought a chassis, but i enjoyed the experience and everything i learnt from bulding my own.

Kind regards,

Darren

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nludkin

posted on 9/8/06 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
You've hit the nail on the head there Darren. When I started looking at building a kit car I definately didn't have the confidence to build one from the ground up.

Now that I have almost finished my W7DE, although I know I could save my own time and money by buying a chassis ready made I really feel like the challenge of making one myself. The fiberglass on the other hand I will be contacting you about if you are willing to supply?

Also, those nice new wheels mentioned in the other thread do look shiny :-)

Kind Regards,
Nathan

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.