Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carbon fibre sheeting
ChrisW

posted on 8/5/03 at 08:52 AM Reply With Quote
Carbon fibre sheeting

Had an interior question and realised we don't have a section for it

Is carbon fibre sheet suitable for use for making the transmission tunnel panels? What thickness should I be using? Who are good suppliers?

I'm doing it for a looks thing rather than weight saving

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK9R

posted on 8/5/03 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
I saw a place at stoneleigh doing it, they had a carbon fibre steering wheel aswell that weighed less than a fly sh*t, but i can't remeber their name!

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kingr

posted on 8/5/03 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah I saw that place too, but it was extortionate, £35 a square foot if I remember rightly. Looked pretty nice though. I can't remember the name of it either.

Kingr

Alan B

posted on 8/5/03 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Chris, Jasper knows someone.....There was another thread about C/F sheet recently...
David Jenkins

posted on 8/5/03 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
From what I've seen, there's 2 kinds of C-F sheet: 'decorative' and 'real'.

The first is simply a layer of C-F on top of normal glass-fibre laminate - no extra strength, just looks nice. It is expensive 'cos the boy racers like it and don't seem to mind being ripped off.

'real' is expensive 'cos it takes a fair bit of skill and technology (over and above glass-fibre work, anyway).

...just my 2p's worth!

David

Champion Builder

posted on 8/5/03 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
IMO if you are using c/f effect to make the interior pretty, your best bet is to buy a length of c/f effect self adhesive film for about 25 squids that'll be about 10" wide by about 3 or 4' long which is perfect for a dash or a tranny panel??

[Edited on 8/5/03 by Champion Builder]

If it isn't low-cost it isn't locost!

kingr

posted on 8/5/03 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Only one problem with that - it doesn't look like genuine carbon fibre, it looks like stick on silver and grey chequered pattern plastic.

Kingr

Jasper

posted on 8/5/03 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
I dunno - a quick search on Google or this site would give you the name:

Hansell Composites Ltd - (+44)1642 713129

You need to specify exactly what you need, if you want it inflexible or flexible etc. The stuff I got needs backing as it's quite flexible.

macspeedy

posted on 8/5/03 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
carbon fibre

i looked into carbon fibre and most people charge far too much apart from one place, download load there brochure and enjoy... http://www.plays-kool.co.uk/ size 962 kb pdf the other company that was at stoneleigh is http://www.reverie.ltd.uk/ hope that is of some help.
ChrisW

posted on 8/5/03 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the suggestions. I guess what I really wanted to know was how thick it would need to be and what I should be asking for. Any ideas? Do I just ring up and ask for "carbon fibre sheet 5mm thick" or is it more complicated?

Chris

My gaff my rules

Northy

posted on 8/5/03 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
The stuff with glass fibre in the middle can be better in certain applications, but is a little heavier

BUT it also tends to be cheaper. If your going to give martain a ring, (Hansell Composites) the stuff with glass fibre in the middle is called CSC (carbon silica composite).

I would say that 3mm thick would be fine. I think your down south aren't you? Shame, because if you call in to see him, stuff can be very cheap

[Edited on 8/5/03 by Northy]

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

Liam

posted on 8/5/03 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
My mate made his dash out of fiberglass with a layer of carbon fibre on top like others have suggested. Looks real, cos well, it is, sort of, and sounds right when you give it a tap. Much cheaper than using all carbon fibre in the lay-up or buying ready made carbon fibre panel. He even had enough to make me a carbon fibre birthday card - the best thing I've ever received.

If you ask me though, i think that thanks to rudeboys and carbon fibre look sticky back plastic, even the real stuff looks tacky and poncey in vast flat expanses - like a transmission tunnel. I'd go for smooth matt black ally or something anyday - far more sophisticated. Just my 2p of course.

Liam

Rob Lane

posted on 9/5/03 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a sheet of carbon fibre covered glassfibre to use as a dash panel at Stoneleigh, it's 3mm thick but will still need a backing of 2mm ali for extra stiffness.

Reverie wanted £125 for a piece of true carbon fibre 1000 x 500 BUT .75mm yes, .75mm thick. Once you moved up in thickness to 3mm it reached £500 or so!!!!

I would look around for a supplier of the fibreglassed version, much cheaper.

Try www.hamiltonclassic.co.uk they supply it in any size you want at what appears reasonable prices. They also do genuine stuff including true carbon cycle wings at £135 a pair.

Rob Lane

sting

posted on 9/5/03 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
I looked into this recently best i came up with was @£90 for either side panel (didn`t ask about top panel though). This was a layer of c/f back with grp.
He advertises in Which Kit
Andy Carter 01623407868 or 07815510842
I haven`t decided if i`m sticking with alloy or going this route!
Cheers
Sting

philipLoco

posted on 3/4/07 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
just got some 2mm real carbon sheet from fleebay and made mine with a join so i can access wiring for hand brake and speedo etc. If you get the weave to line up just right you cannot see the join even really close up. Total cost £25 worth shopping around

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.