Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Starter Solenoid / Relay
Stuart Walker

posted on 8/8/06 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Starter Solenoid / Relay

Hi,

Can anyone tell me (or have a picture??) of how to wire the starter solenoid for an X-Flow?

I've assumed the big bolt-on terminals are for Battery in and Starter Motor out, and the smaller terminals are for the switching, but it doesn't seem to work. If anyone has the details I can work out whether there's a fault here or somewhere else!

Cheers!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stuart Walker

posted on 8/8/06 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
This one... Rescued attachment relay.jpg
Rescued attachment relay.jpg

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 8/8/06 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
As you say, the big terminals go to battery and starter. Apply 12v across the smaller terminals and it should work. If it doesn't it may be faulty.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

MikeR

posted on 8/8/06 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
or you can press the buttom

easy test, ground the big metal bit hanging off the side, apply 12 volts to the little terminal and measure resistance over the big terminals, if there is no / little resistance its fine.

(note the grounding bit - the switch needs a ground)

Bob C

posted on 9/8/06 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
I used that very solenoid - I think you'll find that the coil is connected between one of the spades and the metal chassis. The other spade is to short the resistor in ballasted ignitions.
It's easy to find what's what if you use a DVM - & these can be got for around a fiver if you shop around.
Bob

Stuart Walker

posted on 9/8/06 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, got it up and running now! Nearly got the engine running too, but doesn't want to spark... Hmm...
MikeR

posted on 9/8/06 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
been there, spent the afternoon reading the haynes manual checking everything with a multi meter .......

for me it turned out to be dodgy coil, just take it step by step and check every contact. It will work.....

no spark - i guess you've removed the plugs and seen that there is no spark. Have you got a spark from the coil to the dizzy? work it through ....... just takes time and about 10 reads of the haynes manual.

(how much did you pay for your solonoid and where from? mines an old one and doesn't have the bypass wire bit i need)

Bob C

posted on 9/8/06 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
I got mine at local motor factors (autoden) & it was just over a tenner if memory serves.....
Bob

Robster

posted on 21/8/06 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Solenoid - dumb questions!

Hi Guys,

I've got a new starter motor fitted (type 9 box onto xflow) which I'm assuming is an Inertia type as there is no solenoid attached to the starter - I've been told that the pre-engaged starters for this setup all have the solenoid build in - is this true?

If I do have the inertia starter, I assume that I do still need a solenoid? If so, why are they not just attached to the starter just like the pre-enaged ones?

Do I need a specific one, or just any solenoid from my local motor factor?

Thx!!

Robster

posted on 24/8/06 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Is there really no-one out there who can help me??? Please, I need all the help I can get!
The Doc

posted on 25/8/06 at 06:11 AM Reply With Quote
Yes - you need a remote solenoid like the one shown above by Stuart in his second post. 'Traditionally' all solenoids were mounted in thisway. The pre engaged motor has the solenoid as one and the same coil which 'throws' the starter into mesh. The former is just like a big relay so that switches don't get burned out under the heavy loading.

HTH

Mike

kango

posted on 26/8/06 at 04:17 AM Reply With Quote
Hopefully this will help.

This is what the solinoid looks like inside.

Remember to earth it as the coil needs an earth. This was problamatic on my car once it was powder coated.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.