Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: fitting twin webbers to 2ltr pinto
captain carruthers

posted on 9/8/06 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
fitting twin webbers to 2ltr pinto

Guys,
Im a total newbie to kit cars and have recentlly bought a completed Indy. Im thinking of upgrading the carbs as I think the one that is on the engine at the moment isnt performing too well. and of course i want it to sound bigger and better!!!

Question is how the hell do I go about it ?
I have seen some carbs on Ebay but not sure if they will be ok. Is it quite straight forward to fit the new carbs?
er any help would be great .

Cheers
Jim

02GF74

posted on 9/8/06 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
you'll need the correct inlet manifold.

depending on tune of engine, 40s may be ok, 45s more suitable, 48s

there may be some water plumbing changes needed plus possible vacuum pipe to distributor removed. oh, and the linkage for throttle and choke may need to be changed. and different air filter.....

(it is not rocket science for sure).

cadebytiger

posted on 9/8/06 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
I think somone is selling some 40s with manifold on this website. not sure what engine they have been run with (if it is a pinto of similat tune then you might get away with not changing the jets and such)

Remember also that if you have to disconnect the vacume advance you will need either and change of dizy or an ECU.

Rupert

mcerd1

posted on 9/8/06 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
How much do you know about your engine ??

which carb has it got at the moment ?
What cam does it have?
does it have the early block & head or the later injection type ? (injection heads flow better - injection block will have 205 cast into the side, injection heads have 'egg' shaped inlets)
has it had any head work done?

also have you considered bike carbs ??

MikeRJ

posted on 9/8/06 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Just buying a set of carbs and bolting them on is unlikely to provide good results unless they came off an engine with very simmilar specifications to yours. Carbs have to be jetted to suit the engine they are fitted to, which inevitably means a session on a rolling road to set them up.
captain carruthers

posted on 9/8/06 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
as far as i know the engine is standard. the carb on it is a twin choke webber.
I have tried tuning the current carb but can never get it to idle properly, it runs fine once you are driving but the idle is rubbish. I know the guy who owned it last tried to get it tuned but also had no luck.

se7ensport

posted on 9/8/06 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
captain carruthers you have U2U.
captain carruthers

posted on 9/8/06 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
whats the advantage of bike carbs over car carbs. which is easier to set up?
se7ensport

posted on 9/8/06 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Both the same to set up correctly; they will both require jetting and rolling roading.

I haven't seen any figures comparing overal performance between bike carbs and webers etc.. on the same engine, although bike carbs are supposed to give smoother progression.

Alex

cryoman1965

posted on 9/8/06 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Hi CC,
What you need is someone to sell you a set of GSXR 600 carbs already jetted and fitted to a stainless steel manifold. Bolts straight on to a 2.0 ltr Pinto and runs of the pinto fuel pump.
Works great. ?

Cheers Nige

andrew.carwithen

posted on 9/8/06 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
Robbie D. recently fitted a bike carb conversion (bogg bros.) to replace his twin 40 webers on his pinto.
He took me for a long drive in his Tiger Cat recently and having previously been a passenger when he had the webers fitted, I immediately noticed how much more cleanly it accelerated throughout the rev range with no spitting back, hesitancy, etc.
He also claims to be getting much improved fuel economy as well. (Approx extra 40miles to the tankful!)

Andy.

mcerd1

posted on 9/8/06 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Not to mention that a re-jetted and cleaned set of secondhand bike carbs with a manifold can be alot cheeper than twin webbers without the linkage or manifold

[Edited on 9/8/06 by mcerd1]

captain carruthers

posted on 9/8/06 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
hmmm now that sounds like a better option ...cheaper and easier to install.. anyone now if there are some nokin around?
roadboy

posted on 9/8/06 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Jetting S/H Webers could end up costing a lot of money, thats assuming they are in good condition to start with. Changing chokes & jets is costly. The bike carb route is probably the cheapest.
Reghds
Ian

Jude Performance Services

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.