Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: soft top - weather gear
Dutchman

posted on 11/8/06 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
soft top - weather gear

where to find some drawings of soft top - weather gear construction and how it is fold in a trunk ... or any image of bear metal ...

Tarzan English with foreign accent!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Surrey Dave

posted on 11/8/06 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Look Here!

http://www.groovy42.freeserve.co.uk/extras.htm
Marcus

posted on 11/8/06 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
MAde something similar after seeing the prices charged by some people.

Description
Description

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Surrey Dave

posted on 11/8/06 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Where's my royalty!!

Rescued attachment hood1trim2.jpg
Rescued attachment hood1trim2.jpg

Marcus

posted on 12/8/06 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
It's just different enough to avoid copright issues! It has an extra small hoop to raise the centre above head height. Initially saw them at Newark in 2002 on a pair of Robin Hoods. Jill Judd makes something similar, that's what I saw costing over 100 quid!

Marcus

C10CoryM

posted on 16/8/06 at 01:07 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe a silly Q, but have you noticed any more strain on the windshield frame? Just thinking the force of the top either flapping, or pulled taut could be too much for the frame or its attaching points. I need wet gear too so just curious.
Thanks.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

Marcus

posted on 16/8/06 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
I've used the wrong vinyl really - it's too stretchy. The problem is with the flapping. I've since doubled the amount of poppers on the screen frame, and it's better. As long as the screen uprights are scewed well onto the scuttle, I see no problems with excess strain. Wouldn't do more than 90 with the roof up though!

Marcus

jack trolley

posted on 16/8/06 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
There was an exhibitor at Stoneleigh selling tops and the car they were
displaying had a crack down the middle of the windscreen.
The windscreen frame is only aluminium channel and will bend under load
even if the side supports are steel.

Taz Surfleet

posted on 17/8/06 at 12:29 PM Reply With Quote
the locust lot used to make good weather gear may be worth looking them up, if I remember rightly tho the locust is slightly smaller than the locost
Dutchman

posted on 18/8/06 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
thanks , Good idea I will do it something like that for first but must do a folding one like on cabriolets...

was thinking to fing some golf mk1 cabrio on scrapy and modify that soft top... or make from fiberglass hard top , it is so good feel to drive it it would be ashame to be in a garage during the winter

Tarzan English with foreign accent!

C10CoryM

posted on 20/8/06 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote

Probably the best looking top Ive seen.
Looks like it has fairly sturdy A-pillars to handle the load though.

Ive considered making a simple 3 peice top from aluminum. Over lap and lock it together and fasten a peice of lexan to the rollbar hoop for the back. Thing that worries me is going around a corner too hard and flexing the un-triangulated cockpit and breaking the windshield. Need to figure out a way to have the top float a little while still sealing.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.