Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Please Sir, can you check this!
mistergrumpy

posted on 21/8/06 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Please Sir, can you check this!

Just trying to get things right in me head. Would really like to have a go at building my own chassis but in my mind I see a few problems.
Dunno the length of a Sierra rear diff/driveshafts so not sure how wide to make the back end.
Thinking of a zx9 engine and again not knowing the dimensions, will I have enough 'engine bay' space so to speak of and I don't want it sit too high, how high should it sit from the top of the chassis?
Are these things such a problem at this stage or should I just get cracking following the 'book' and bodge everything when I come to it?
Any comments would be great. Thanks.

Gunner1

posted on 21/8/06 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
When we designed our chassis, it was all around the dimensions of our diff, and axles. As well as using front suspensions with compatable bolt patters. We have a solid axle, so it is a non negotiable item in terms of design.
Also, we made sure we had the wheels we needed as well as tire dimensions before designing with the required off set to ensure tire clearance.
This turned out to be +2 when using Mustang 2/pinto rear ends and stock 15 x 8 wheels.
Suggest you think about the whole project before you start welding so as not to paint yourself into a corner (s) and end up compromising the result.

mistergrumpy

posted on 21/8/06 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
Think you're probably right. Thanks.
JoelP

posted on 21/8/06 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
zx9 engine wants the sump shortening really, u2u chris gamlin as his uncle does this sometime. Then hang it with up to one inch below the chassis rails. The engine fits inside 22 inches length wise. Width, put it fairly close to your feet with the prop towards the o/s, and you shouldn't have too much trouble making the rest fit on the left (ie exhaust etc).
Gav

posted on 21/8/06 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Ive built my chassis from scratch with a fireblade engine in mind.
Take a look at my build pics at http://gallery.differently.net

If you want to come and have a look at my chassis and a natter about all the fiddly bits your more than welcome to pop up to blackburn for a cuppa.

[Edited on 21/8/06 by Gav]

mistergrumpy

posted on 21/8/06 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
Excellent mate, looks a good solid build to, you a welder by trade? Did you design it yourself or copy it from somewhere cos I see its slightly different from what I've seen in the back end. You make the wishbones yourself too? I am impressed mate, good job.
Gav

posted on 21/8/06 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
When i left school i did a structural engineering apprenticeship which involved quite a lot of welding

The chassis is a mix of the Mcsorley plans and the GTS plans for the rear which uses a De-deion axle with seirra running gear.

The wishbones and de-deion/trailing arms i bought from GTS as i was unsure of all the dimensions but now i wouldnt hesitate to fabricate my own in future.

Id say the worst bit of doing the chassis is making sure all the brackets are in the right places, when i triangulated the wishbones to the rear dedion it was only 4mm out which i can tune out using the panhard rod.
I was pretty chuffed it was that close on the first attempt!.

I actually just got the chassis fully painted now too with only a few bits and bobs left to do before the real work of bolting it all together really starts

mistergrumpy

posted on 21/8/06 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Are these plans available anywhere or did you have to buy them and did you use their measurements or your own based on your workings?
Gav

posted on 21/8/06 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
The Mcsorley plans are freely available from
http://mcsorley.net/locost/

The mods for the rear end are also freely available from GTS however i did buy the full chassis plans from GTS also.
You can get the GTS rear mods from Flakmonkeys site http://gtslocost.locostsites.co.uk/downloads.htm
their are also plans for IRS form Rorty there as well that you can adapt also.

The mcsorley plans are the most detailed and effectivley gives you a drawing for each tube with the exact dimensions and angles.
Where as the GTS plans is just the chassis drawings so its a little more work to get each tube cut to length properly.

Ive made some changes to the chassis as ive become more confident in what im doing and changed bits to suit how i wanted things.

GTS site is http://www.gtstuning.co.uk

oh and btw youve got a u2u

[Edited on 21/8/06 by Gav]

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.