Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Helmet Visor Law
Alfa145

posted on 3/9/06 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Helmet Visor Law

Wearing a helmet to drive the car, thinking about getting a tinted or irridium one, my question is where does the law sit on this I know on a bike you should carry a spare Clear one but with the car would just carrying a pair of clear safety glasses satisfy Mr Plod or would I need to take a clear visor with me?

Cheers

Rob

StevieB

posted on 3/9/06 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
I think the law applies the same as it would for a windscreen on a car - limited tint. Iridium visors are illegal on the road alltogether I think, and tinted visors are limited to how dark they can legally be.

Safety glasses wouldn't satisfy the police as you could just put your visor down again when they've gone

MkIndy7

posted on 3/9/06 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
It isin't compulsary to have eye protection so you could just risk wearing the visor and if you got caught just take the helmet off completely or disconect the visor.

Or do like bikers do and wear sunglasses underneath! how daft is it that you can wear any sunglasses you wish underneath to ride or drive!

nitram38

posted on 3/9/06 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Caberg V2 helmet. I bought it on ebay for around £80.
It has the normal clear visor plus an internal tinted flip down one inside, which operates from a lever on the side of the helmet.
It looks cool and I look like a fighter pilot!!!
Besides, with my car I like to remain anonymous in London.
I am going to put 'I am the Stig' on the top of the visor!!!!!!!!!!

LINK

[Edited on 3/9/2006 by nitram38]

Paul M

posted on 3/9/06 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
Second vote for the Caberg V2, I've got one and it's a really good looking,comfy helmet, plus, you can get iridium internal visors for it , slide lt out of the way and drive at night with the external clear visor
Alfa145

posted on 3/9/06 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Bother and Blast, just bought myself a cheapie helmet on Fleabay the other day for 40 notes, wish I had held off now and gone for the Caberg

Edit: Poor spelling

[Edited on 3/9/06 by Alfa145]

pifular

posted on 3/9/06 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
have recently brought this up with one of my local constabularys finest whilst we were ahem - having a quick word - about a minor over sight on my part ( 110 on a dual carriageway after midnight shouldn't always be illegal ) anyway........... helmets worn in cars are policed in the same way as those worn by bikers and therefore tints are a no-no.
only re assuring thing was, is that he did have to get on his phone to check on the visor issue, and he was a traffic officer. so under normal circumstance they are unlikely to come after you on the visor tint alone.

nitram38

posted on 4/9/06 at 03:15 AM Reply With Quote
As the caberg internal visor only acts as a more convienient pair of sunglasses and can be removed quickly without removing safety protection for your eyes, I would fail to see how the law would stand up in court.
It would be more dangerous to open your visor whilst moving and try to put sunglasses on.
Also if you change direction into the sun, it must be safer to do things this way.
You are hardly likely to keep stopping on a motorway, just to put on/take off sunglasses!!!!!!!!
I can understand permenant tints being illegal, because they stay the same, no matter what the weather or time of day.
Would you wear sunglasses at night?

MkIndy7

posted on 4/9/06 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nitram38
Would you wear sunglasses at night?

Have you tried as a passenger?

I've got some blue lensed ones! and its Trippy as hell lol, like your in a computer game or something!

nitram38

posted on 4/9/06 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
I think that you should spend a bit more time building..................

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.