Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Audi's diesel does it!
mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 7/9/06 at 05:11 AM Reply With Quote
Audi's diesel does it!

Well it had to happen sometime.....Clarksons going to be happy Not

Diesel Audi takes series title

Audi has become the first car manufacturer to win an internationally recognised motor racing championship with a diesel car.

The Audi R10 TDI has a twin-turbo 5.5-litre V12 diesel engine producing more than 480kW; it made history by winning the Le Mans 24 Hours in June; now Allan McNish and Dindo Capello have won the American Le Mans Series (ALMS) championship.

McNish and Capello took their R10 to a hard-earned victory in the September 3 round of the series at Mosport in Canada to clinch secure the ALMS title with two races remaining.

McNish and Capello, together with Tom Kristensen, won the ALMS season-opening Sebring 12 Hour race on March 18.

It was the first victory by a diesel-powered sports-prototype in an international sports car endurance race. The car has now won six out of six ALMS races.

McNish said: "Audi's diesel sports car made history when Dindo, Tom and I won at Sebring and again when Frank, Emanuele and Marco won at Le Mans.

"Now Dindo and I have won an international championship with a diesel, which makes me very proud to be part of this revolutionary technology."

Published on the web by Motoring on September 5, 2006. © Motoring 2006. All rights reserved.

nick205

posted on 7/9/06 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
Formula one next then
apex

posted on 7/9/06 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Got one in my personal car, but it would me nice if someone tested to put one in a Seven...the torque is massive!!

And the fuel economy!! Locost, indeed!!

iank

posted on 7/9/06 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
Been talked about many times (and done by a couple, including westfield), do a search if you are interested.

Bottom line is that you really don't need huge torque in a 500kg car, and they aren't really loved. Doing your own thing is what it's all about though, so if you want to go for it don't let anyone stop you

StevieB

posted on 7/9/06 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
The only problem with sticking a diesel engine into a seven would be when you start it - it truly would be a tractor! Modern diesels are quiet, but mainly due to the amount of sound deadening put into them

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.