Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost race engine BHP
stevetzoid

posted on 7/9/06 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Locost race engine BHP

Hi all, ok come on everyone what BHP can you expect at the wheels of a locost 750 race engine, I will be having mine checked in the winter and would like to have some idea. AT the Wheels??.
Regards Steve Evans.

GParkes

posted on 8/9/06 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Mine is 80hp at the wheels, thats without pushing the regs, and with an exhaust that others tell me isn't the best! I'd be suprised if others were getting much more than 85.

Remember though that you also need to look at the power throughout the rev range not just at max revs, and different rolling roads will read slightly differently.

Gavin

D Beddows

posted on 8/9/06 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
That's a virtualy impossible question to answer as it's sooooo dependant on the rolling road you go to! On most if you're aound the high 80's early 90's you'll be about right BUT as has just been mentioned the maximum BHP is a pretty meaningless figure on it's own and unless there are other Locosters who go to the same road, pretty useless as a comparison as well

Just as an example when I used to build Brett Townsends engines my 'regular' rolling road used to show around 91/92 max BHP, just as a test we went to Pete Baldwins once (which is a favorite for Locost racers) and his road showed 107...... didn't believe it for a second obviously, but it explained a few of the numbers people had been spouting......and it was nice that it was a record figure at the time BUT even though we allegedly had more BHP than anyone else Bretts engine still wasn't the all round quickest by any means

DarrenW

posted on 8/9/06 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
I guess bhp of a race engine is irrelevant. You know you have enough when you win. So many other factors are more relevant such as drivetrain set up and driver ability.

If you are looking to have a good race engine built then i guess the important factor is who will build it and what success do they have - at least then you have half a chance of getting one at the peak of the regs.

I have been made aware the rolling road operators can apply different correction factors. For the serious racer i bet there are some operators that have huge experience and can give you close data but i bet they also know how to send the boy racers away with a big smile on their faces and a sheet of paper to boast about to their mates.

(see Dave - i have learnt something from you already!!!!!)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.