Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Derusting calipers
Indymike

posted on 8/9/06 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Derusting calipers

Hi guys,

I'm new on this forum. Well actually i've been following it for quite a while, but i've just bought a MK Indy kit from the dutch importer, so I'm eager to start building! And probably will need lots of advice!

But first I have to do some cleaning, as I have some very rusty parts in my garage. I've read the threads on electrolysis and it sounds very good. Does anyone know if it's save to put my calipers in if I first remove the seals and piston?

Cheers

Build manual? What build manual?

Bluemoon

posted on 8/9/06 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
I have so I hope so! I put it in with the seals and pistons (these are going to be replaced) with a blead nipples in both outlets/inlets to stop water getting in the piston boars, I figured that on the car the bit's now left exposed get wet anyhow..

Dan

whitestu

posted on 8/9/06 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Personally I'd buy new calipers - I got mine for £28 each after spending ages cleaning the old ones and eventually realising they weren't worth bothering with.

Stu

02GF74

posted on 8/9/06 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
as bluemoon said, I'd keave the old pistons/seals in and would even plug up up all the holes as I woudn't want to be electrolysing the internals.
mookaloid

posted on 8/9/06 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
Personally I'd buy new calipers - I got mine for £28 each after spending ages cleaning the old ones and eventually realising they weren't worth bothering with.

Stu

I agree with Stu - loads of work for something that won't be as good as something you can buy for not a lot of money

Cheers

Mark

Kissy

posted on 8/9/06 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Phosphoric Acid is what you need (in a slightly higher concentartion than they put in Coca-Cola!).

It'll dissolve the rust leaving you with clean steel. If you are going to paint the calipers I suggest you bake them in a gentle oven as the iron is porous. All the grease and cr*p will 'sweat' out. HTH

major

posted on 8/9/06 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone you recomend?
Hammerhead

posted on 8/9/06 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
so whitestu, where did you get the calipers from??

Gunner1

posted on 8/9/06 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
This is incredible but what has worked for me in derusting all of my parts is a mixture of 1 part blackstrap molasses (the kind you feed horses) mixed with 8 parts of plain water. I keep in in a 45 gallon Rubbermaid trough with a lid outside. If you take the paint and oil off and give it a rinse before dropping in the mixture, the part will come out perfectly clean in about a week or so. The mixture lasts for months (although gets pretty cruddy). Once you are done with it, you hose it into your lawn as it is nothing more than smelly sugar and iron oxide. Only the rust is affected. I have used in on rusty brake drum and with a wipe with SOS pads, it was natural cast rust free metal.
Honest, it really works! I wonder if it would work better with electrolysis applied, but I have not had a need to do it yet.
Zetec 7 who posts here has seen it and can vouch for the process.

whitestu

posted on 8/9/06 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

so whitestu, where did you get the calipers from??

Local Motor Factors - Universal Auto Spares in North London [NW9] 02082059728.

Thye were £28 Exchange for the Vented disk type.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.