Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Get 'em off!
David Jenkins

posted on 15/5/03 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
Get 'em off!

Tyres, that is...

I've got 5 Ghia alloy wheels that I want to get renovated. First, I've got to get the crummy old tyres off. Trouble is, I can't even break the beads off the rims!

Once the beads are broken then I think that I can manage.

Any useful hints and tips gratefully accepted...

David

paulf

posted on 15/5/03 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Why not take them to your local tyre shop and make out you are going to buy tyres from them [even if your not] and tell them you need the tyres off to renovate the wheels first .They might charge a small amount or do it free as you will be buying tyres from them later.
Paul.
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
Tyres, that is...

I've got 5 Ghia alloy wheels that I want to get renovated. First, I've got to get the crummy old tyres off. Trouble is, I can't even break the beads off the rims!

Once the beads are broken then I think that I can manage.

Any useful hints and tips gratefully accepted...

David

geoff shep

posted on 15/5/03 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'd just get a tyre fitter to remove them. If you use any sort of tyre lever you risk damaging the alloy rims quite badly.

Its what I did when I renovated mine.

Oops, beaten again by seconds

[Edited on 15/5/03 by geoff shep]

Mark Allanson

posted on 15/5/03 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
If you realy DO need to get them off yourself, take the centre out of the valve and...

1, Garden spade in the bead and jump on it
2, Put the tyre in a vice and wind it up
3, Jack up your donor, take off the front wheel and then lower the disc onto the tyre.

ChrisW

posted on 16/5/03 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
I'd go down to a tyre fitter about 3pm on a friday with a fiver in hand

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 16/5/03 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Put a plank on it up to the bead and drive a car up it. It worked for us.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

David Jenkins

posted on 16/5/03 at 09:57 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
I'd go down to a tyre fitter about 3pm on a friday with a fiver in hand

Chris

I can just imagine the reply to "could you just take these off the wheels? Oh, and I don't want to buy any tyres off you for a week or two (and then only if you've got the ones I want, at a decent price...)"

This all goes back to the fact that I've got 5 wheels, all needing restoration, all with crappy remoulds on them. 4 are on the car at the moment, and I want to 'experiment' with the 5th one to see how much restoration I can do myself (some cowboy sprayed them very badly with a can of wheel paint - over the tyres as well).

The aim is to avoid paying for a proper restoration as I will get some better wheels in the future, once the SVA is over. At present, I just want them to look neat and tidy.

(CHEAP? Moi?)

DJ

[Edited on 16/5/03 by David Jenkins]

ChrisW

posted on 16/5/03 at 10:16 AM Reply With Quote
Not done this myself but a few people have told me it's possible to do a half decent job of it yourself. Apparently there is some kind of metallic filler out there that sorts out chips then it's just a case of rub down and paint.

Chris

[Edited on 16/5/03 by ChrisW]

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stephen_gusterson

posted on 16/5/03 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
I cannot believe that you cant go to a small independent fitter, flash him a tenner, cash in hand, and ask him to spend 5 mins taking the tyres off the rims.

One of the bigger companies might consider it against their rules, but a small guy making a buck would help.

Our local scrappy in Rothwell even sells tyres - bet he would do the work!

atb

steve

StuartA

posted on 16/5/03 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
A local tyre fitter to us fitted and balanced our lovely new tyres on our lovely new wheels for a fiver a corner.

Can't think that an independent would refuse you if you waved a fiver in their direction... and if you are stuck then you aren't that far from Stowmarket, I can point you in the right direction.

A fiver has got to be better than shelling out loads for new alloys when you knacker the old ones trying to get the tyres off.

timf

posted on 16/5/03 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
where to go

dave

take them to x-spurt tyres in christchurch street,ipswich they will do it for a small fee no problems

Tim

James

posted on 16/5/03 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stephen_gusterson
I cannot believe that you cant go to a small independent fitter, flash him a tenner, cash in hand, and ask him to spend 5 mins taking the tyres off the rims.

I'd be surprised too. I went down to the garage I've been going to for years (only place I know of in area I trust) and they were willing to help out even with getting the hub nuts off by diff.
They helped me out even though in the middle of another job (even though the customer was waiting!!!) and it was then a battle to get him to take any money from me!

Cheers,

James

theconrodkid

posted on 16/5/03 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
wouldnt happen at my garage james

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Metal Hippy

posted on 16/5/03 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
(some cowboy sprayed them very badly with a can of wheel paint - over the tyres as well).

That you, was it Dave?

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

David Jenkins

posted on 16/5/03 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Metal Hippy
That you, was it Dave?

I get it - this is one of those "re-arrange the words into a well known phrase or saying" quizzes, isn't it!

DJ

David Jenkins

posted on 16/5/03 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Tim,

You're a hero (again!)

DJ

quote:
Originally posted by timf
dave

take them to x-spurt tyres in christchurch street,ipswich they will do it for a small fee no problems

Tim

StuartA

posted on 19/5/03 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Looks like Suffolk is turning into a bit of a 'hotspot' for builds. What are you building Tim?
timf

posted on 19/5/03 at 11:46 AM Reply With Quote
building

currently collecting parts for viento with 350 chevy v8, mainly cosworth running gear as i had it in the garage.

previously built book locost 4 years ago be fore the forum so encountered all of the problems like chassis sizes wrong etc.
and cobra replica

StuartA

posted on 19/5/03 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
Well, a belated welcome to the madhouse! Visited DodgyRoger in Newmarket on Saturday. Very useful to meet up and exchange ideas, not to mention tips about local suppliers.

The Viento looks pretty sweet, Luego are a good bunch and no complaints about the products.

Sparky

posted on 24/5/03 at 12:10 AM Reply With Quote
Another 'local' here!

Also building a Luego, I could really do with a look at some other builds to gather some motivation!

By the way, if anyone else needs any tyres knocked off their rims, I have access to fitting and balancing equipment. Feel free to send me a message.

David Jenkins

posted on 24/5/03 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Link noted for future reference...

Mind you, I went exploring today - couldn't find the tyre place Tim mentioned, so I went to the place I usually visit for tyres for my "real car".(Hadleigh Tyres, Ipswich)

Explained what I wanted, gave the tyre to a fitter, went into the office to discuss cost of new tyres. After a while I said "how much for taking that old tyre off?" - the reply was "Err, don't worry about it - come and see me when you wan't some new ones, and we'll see what sort of deal we can arrange..."

DJ

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.