Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Is it just me?
StevieB

posted on 13/9/06 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Is it just me?

Has anybody else had problems getting their orders out of MK?

Everyone there is friendly and helpful - all the reasons I chose MK in the first place. But, I've paid for stuf and it's taking an age to materialise and every time I ring, they seem to hacve forgotten that I've paid for stuff and they haven't even started making it yet!

Just wondering if it's just me, or is it par for the course (and having a gripe about it all too!)

DaveFJ

posted on 13/9/06 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
to put it in context - how long have you been waiting and for what?

I only ask because there have been cases on here of people griping about delivery times but it turned out they had un-realistic expectations.........

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

StevieB

posted on 13/9/06 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
I ordered all of my stuff in May, and the majority arrived in July(ish), but there were a few bits missing. Not a problem as they were bits that I didn't really need, apart from the ali floor, which I went and picked up along with a few other bits.

What I'm waiting on is the paddle shift gear linkage and the aeroscreen. The aeroscreen I understand, because there was a problem with the form and it was being rectified. The gearshift is a different story - I've rang a few times and each time it's not yet built and low and behold, rang today:

"We'll struggle because it's Doningotn at the weekend"

I'm a generally understanding person (outside of my work!), but I've paid for this stuff months ago - I'm a bit fed up of having to chase things up myself, and even remind them who I am every time I ring.

It'd have cost more, but I bet I wouldn't have had this problem at Westfield!

Guinness

posted on 13/9/06 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
I have to say that MK where on the whole pretty helpful during my build.

However they were not faultless, but usually sorted any problems out pretty quickly.

When I picked up my kit they didn't have the nose cone, pedals or upper wishbones.

I got them a couple of weeks later at the Donnington Show.

I tried phoning to get the propshaft made a few times, but in the end went down there on a Saturday to get it done while I waited.

But that said, when I was standing in my local motor factors trying to decide which brake fluid to get I rang them and they had an answer straight away.

Swings and roundabouts really!

They are no worse than any other company out there, with the exception of MAC1, who everytime I ordered something from them it arrived the very next day (admittedly stock parts, nothing to be fabricated).

Mike

StevieB

posted on 13/9/06 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
I appreciate that - I just feel I haven't had the full MK treatment that people recommend them for. More being cast aside while they chase new orders at shows becuase they've already got my cash.

I realise this is a hobby industry rather than anything more professional, but I'm finding it incredibly hard to be understanding!

Next car will be from MNR!

DarrenW

posted on 13/9/06 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
'Tis a bit of a shame when this happens. One reminder you can handle. Even a second is Ok ish as long as it gets results but when it continues...

Sounds like there isnt an ordering system in place that is regularly monitored to check everything is sent out. A simple file for open orders in date order and another for closed orders would work. They might of course have one already. I guess we are all human and things do occasionally get missed in all walks of life.

Most people seem to have a good relationship with MK. Seems that face to face contact often wins the day in general (i dont mean just Mk, just in general). At least then you can push for a final date. Might be worth having a drive down sometime and talking about it. Unfortunately going public doesnt seem to get desired results, although in your defence (although no defence really needed) you have only asked if others have had similar experience.

Maybe someone can ask for you at a Sat morning meet or at a show.

[Edited on 13/9/06 by DarrenW]

StevieB

posted on 13/9/06 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
It was Baz I spoke to.

I'm fairly appreciative that they're busy etc. and the things I've been waiting on have been in development/redevelopment. But I have paid them nearly £5,000 of my money and I have certain expectations for that sort of cash - perhaps knowing who I am without me having to describe myself, where I live and wait for the penny to drop!

Cheers Darren - I said to Baz I'd ring back early next week to remind them on and would pick up the items the following weekend - I'm understanding about deadlines for shows etc because my life revolves around them (however, I get an absolute bleeching if I miss one, as do the guys who work for me!). These should be last parts I need from them, so that'll sort out the problem for future!

[Edited on 13/9/06 by StevieB]

DarrenW

posted on 13/9/06 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like the wait isnt the main issue, lets face we it we can all accomodate a decent (ie lengthy) leadtime for quality low volume bits.

I know what you mean when you have to explain yourself each time. I occasionally come across this, problem is it doesnt instill confidence. Mind you i bet its difficult for some companies to remember everyone and their order details all of the time. My memory is well crap, i wouldnt relish such a job in customer services etc. i at least try and keep people informed of progress from time to time. Its surprising how tolerant some people are when you are late but have at least kept in touch.

I hope it goes well for you. Fingers are crossed.

zxrlocost

posted on 13/9/06 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
mate I loved my MK its a great looking car

and they are very friendly people

but you are right you have given them thousands of pounds of your hard earned money

during my build I had so many occasions where it held me up or caused me problems

theres like some conspiracy theory free masons thing in the Kit Car Industry where if you run anyone down your the one to blame its great I wish I could do it in my business Id be closed down withing the week

there Unorganisation is unbelievable
but we cant say anything Ok

its like your to expect it from the Kit Car industry

I purchased quite a few items from different 7 stlye manafacturers and I would say they were all as organised as each other

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

StevieB

posted on 13/9/06 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
It'd be a simple computer database so when someone rings, you call up their file and it has a list of issues/past discussions etc. At worst, a notebook with the same. Basically, a set of minutes for every conversation with every customer. It's simple to me, but I deal with £millions (of other peoples money) and it's a basic expectation of the client.

However, the car will still be great, and I'm sure all these little dissapointments will wash away with the first feel of the wind in my face!

zoom

posted on 13/9/06 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi just be thankful it not robin hood sports cars your dealing with.

Customer service is a 4 letter word to them it seems to me

Plus they may have gone t#ts up

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevec

posted on 13/9/06 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
10 months and still no tasty bonnet badge,
Think I will put Robin Hood one on it. LOL

StevieB

posted on 13/9/06 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
It'd almost be better if MK were not friendly to deal with - it's much easier to get torn into people who you don't like over those who are admin biffs but freindly with it!
iank

posted on 13/9/06 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zoom
Hi just be thankful it not robin hood sports cars your dealing with.

Customer service is a 4 letter word to them it seems to me

Plus they may have gone t#ts up

No may about it. See Volvorsport's comment here, he should know he work(s/ed) there.

ch1ll1

posted on 13/9/06 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
i phoned them last monday,
ordered an exhaust and gear linkage

baz said about 2 weeks,
told him i needed it quicker
and went up saturday and when i arrived he was still making the linkage !( but no problem)
but everything else was there

so i didnt have it delivered but the service was SPOT ON !

will use them again well worth 450 mile trip ! and i got a cup of tea !

but the wife says they looked like HILL BILLYS !!
NOT SURE WHAT SHE MENT !

StevieB

posted on 13/9/06 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
I've no doubt they're good in general, it's just the little things that make me regret parting with my money - if I was buying a tin top car, you can bet the service would be a hell of a lot better!
ch1ll1

posted on 13/9/06 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
sorry,
i under stand what you mean !
i forgot for a while about kit car makers
having finished my build early this year !

it more frustrating, there were time i wanted to go and kill certain people .

at the moment im just changing my engine and trying to buy parts instead of making them (for speed)
and certain firms ( who wont be named) just didn't want to sell me things !

i wont even think about using them anymore, some firms i tried before when i was building and told me to get lost
but gave them another go and still same reply !
one firm told me its not our car and were only selling to our customers !
which i though was strange, as if i cannot buy from them , how the hell do they think they will sell me a car.
certain firms are so far up there arses its untrue

[Edited on 13/9/06 by ch1ll1]

StevieB

posted on 13/9/06 at 05:20 PM Reply With Quote
I think the problem is that it's a hobby industry - because we're all supposed to be friends together with a shared interest, service doesn't matter. However, these firms are asking us to part with thousands of pounds, which goes a little beyond general disposable income in most homes.

In all honesty, they should suck up a bit more, because it's not as if you're buying an essential item - they need to convince you that spending all of your extra pennies with them is wothwhile!

Maybe we should march on parliament or something?

ch1ll1

posted on 13/9/06 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
here here

if it wasnt for people like you and me and people on websites like this

would they still be trading !

StevieB

posted on 13/9/06 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe there should be some sort of JD Power type survey for kit manufacturers?
alister667

posted on 13/9/06 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
I have to admit I was pretty hacked off with the wait involved with getting my half chassis and other bits and pieces from MK after I hit my car. Ironically, now I'm thinking of build another road car I'd probably go for an MK again!

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
StevieB

posted on 13/9/06 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
I'll probably have a much better shop around next time!
graememk

posted on 13/9/06 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
in fairness, i ordered front wings wednesday collected saturday

ordered grill monday got it in the post thursday etc etc not had ant probs myself

DarrenW

posted on 13/9/06 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
I think the problem is that it's a hobby industry - because we're all supposed to be friends together with a shared interest, service doesn't matter. However, these firms are asking us to part with thousands of pounds, which goes a little beyond general disposable income in most homes.

Sorry Steve, you are being too polite here. We build cars - that is our hobby. Those who manufacture and supply parts for commercial gain are professional businesses. It is not out of order to expect a reasonable amount of customer service once the order has been accepted.

There is not much to differentiate most se7en kit manufacturers, they all have similar designs, similar products, similar pricing structures. As far as i can see there is only customer service that can differentiate them. What keeps a lot of them afloat is blind customer loyalty. As said already if we were talking about a tin-top main dealer here they would be flamed and banished to hell for far less.

Im not making comments referenced to Mk here, Just a general rant about the industry that iam passionate about. Oh and the magazines........... best not go there

StevieB

posted on 13/9/06 at 10:09 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah - I had a notion of some form of jD Power type customer satisfaction survey - but it'd fall down on some major points:

1. Dumb customer loyalty in the kit car industry - a bit like supporting a football club I think, regardless of how well your team is doing, you'll still think they;'re great and slag off all the others.

2. If it was done by one of the mags, they appear just a bit too close and cosy with some manufacturers for my liking.

3. Would anyone pay attention due to point 1?

I'm not keen on Westfield's product or Caterhams pricing, but they've got the customer service thing licked if you ask me - they behave like a corporate machine selling a lifestyle, rather than some of the manufacturers, who almost discourage new entrants to the hobby like me because you feel like there's a wall to break down first to get into the club. I've never been much of a conformist anyway!

[Edited on 13/9/06 by StevieB]

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.