Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: MegaJolt software is driving me nuts!
David Jenkins

posted on 17/9/06 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
MegaJolt software is driving me nuts!

I have spent a major part of this weekend trying to get the MegaJolt configuration software working, without success, and it's driving me nuts.

I know that the MJ unit is probably working OK as I can send it commands from a terminal emulator, and it also works OK when I run a prototype windows exe version I got off the MJ site (written by Alexander Chukhlebov). That works, but it's a bit flaky and tends to crash.

I have been trying to install the Java SDK, RXTX (Linux only) and the 'official' config program onto Linux and Windoze machines, and getting different error messages with every install.

I'm not 'appy!
<end whinge>

If anyone with a Linux setup can let me know how they set their system up then I'd be very grateful.

David

oliwb

posted on 17/9/06 at 05:35 PM Reply With Quote
I never did manage to get the Java config program to work. I've just been using the developer one you mention fo windows. Seems to work OK though a bit fragile if your using a USB to Serial adaptor thingy....Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jed

posted on 17/9/06 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
I've just powered down the Linux box with the MJL software on it but from memory I just followed the instructions on the website. However, I did change the permissions on the serial port device to give me rw permissions but I can't be sure if that was just for the old serial camera or the MJL.

Oh and the serial cable needs to be a pin to pin one.

Edit: My JRE was a 1.4.x version - not that I'd expect that to be the probelm

[Edited on 17/9/06 by Jed]

David Jenkins

posted on 17/9/06 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
My main linux issue is the link between java and the bit that talks to the serial port - RXTX. There are 3 or 4 sets of instructions for installing RXTX, none of them work, and they contradict each other!

My problem with the windoze program is that the only PC I have with that OS is a Toshiba Libretto, with a very small screen that's only 640 x 480. The jave prog fits OK, but the Windows one goes off-scrren - it's just a little too big.

It's my only complaint about the MJ system - the kit obviously works as many people have used it, but getting java to talk to the serial port is near-enough impossible. It lets the whole thing down.

DJ

paulf

posted on 17/9/06 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Try the software on this site http://www.performancelocost.co.uk/files/
There is a self installing package on there that has worked everytime for me , it has the correct java version with it and is a 13mb download.
It is in the locost files area.
Paul.

[Edited on 17/9/06 by paulf]

David Jenkins

posted on 17/9/06 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Is Megajolt_Tune-setup.exe the one I need? I guess that's a Windows program - might give that a try.

Cheers,
David

paulf

posted on 17/9/06 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Yes thats the one, it is the original java based software and self installs with the correct java version on to any pc running windows 98 or later. It should work on your laptop, I would recomend that you remove any existing java on there before installing it though as i had many problems caused by the fact that i had a later java version and it wouldnt work with the megajolt software.
I have also found the windows trial version software to be a bit unreliable but it does work most of the time and has some usefull features such as the ability to mark points in the map whilst running.
Paul.

kipford

posted on 21/9/06 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
David
Not sure if this helps, but I have just finished and got running MJ on my Pinto engine. I will admit I did not build the MJ but did all the rest of the install. Anyway I am using the windows tuner on my works laptop which runs XP professional. I have a serial port adaptor to connect to the MJ.
This all seems to work with no problem. The windows tuner does not crash, it happily pulls the map from MJ and allows modifications etc, does what it says on the can?

David Jenkins

posted on 21/9/06 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Don't worry - I'm just an awkward beggar! I refuse to join in MicroSnot's XP pricing policy, so I use Ubuntu linux for most of my work, with an old copy of Windoze 2000 for times when there's no alternative (a rare event, these days).

I haven't had time to try out the 'integrated package' yet, but that'll be on an ancient and very small Win 98 machine. If it works it'll be a bonus, but otherwise I'll just keep plugging at the linux app.

cheers,
David

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.