Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA & MoT emission regs
russbost

posted on 19/9/06 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
SVA & MoT emission regs

There was a topic on here recently regarding the above with large amounts of confusion & disagreement over the technicalities. I've done some checking & can confirm the following (I was until very recently an MoT tester & this info comes direct from the Manual - the MoT testers bible).

"Vehicles having a Q registration - for emission purposes only, all types of vehicle are to be considered as vehicles first used b4 1st Aug 1975. For all other testing purposes should be considered as vehicle 1st used b4 1st June 1971."

The next section is the one that causes confusion including amongst MoT stations - IT DOES NOT APPLY TO Q REG VEHICLES!!!

"For emission purposes only Kit car & amateur built vehicles first used b4 1st Aug 1998 are to be considered as first used b4 1st Aug 1975. Kit car & amateur built vehicles first used on or after 1st Aug 1998 are required to obtain SVA & should be tested to the limits stated on the registration document"

So, at last, there is a good reason for having a Q plate, even if you SVA & register a vehicle now & it has a 2006 engine, although you'll need to pass a CAT test at SVA you can then take it off once passed as you don't have a CAT test at MoT time!

I would point out that a LOT of testers are unsure of the rules, but if they try to insist on a CAT test on a Q plate car, or a pre Aug '98 car (irrelevant of what age of engine is in it now or at SVA) print this off & show them, they should then be able to find the relevant sections of the manual. If that fails ask them to check with their local area office, if that fails ask for an appeals form if they fail the car - no MoT station likes appeals because it involves extra "Ministry Attention" - believe me, never welcome!
If you're in the Basildon area of Essex I would suggest using Amethyst Autos at Laindon 01268 413166 from whom this info was obtained & where you won't get a "silly" fail.
Hope this helps straighten things out!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
alister667

posted on 19/9/06 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to have to query the emmisions fail I was initally given this year.
I'll quote this information, although the regulations for N. Ireland are different from the mainland.
The big problem is that my limits are printed on my V5, and thus on the computerised V5 records, so with the recent computerisation of the test the tester has no choice as to which limits to use with the test - it's taken from the V5 documentation - which shows my limits as declared by my **** of an SVA inspector!

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
russbost

posted on 19/9/06 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
I believe the test only came in to N Ireland relatively recently & I'm sure you have different regs to ours, which seems potty when we can all drive on the same roads, so can't help on your regs, but worth double checking.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
alister667

posted on 19/9/06 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
The only problem is I believe that MOTs are being computerised all over the UK, mainland as well. I'm pretty sure I am not the only one with emmisions limits in my V5 special notes section - in one of our initial discussions I saw a response from some folks on the mainland with this on their V5. It's quite likely they will find themselves in the same boat as me once all MOT test centers get hooked up to the net.
I genuinely hope I'm wrong. As it stands I'm seriously considering taking my own car off the road and building another with an old engine, SVA'ing, registering then replacing the engine as I see fit. Ridiculous.
I took the time, there now, to look up the DVLNI's e-mail address and I've explained the situation to them. I await their response.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Humbug

posted on 20/9/06 at 06:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
There was a topic on here recently regarding the above with large amounts of confusion & disagreement over the technicalities. I've done some checking & can confirm the following (I was until very recently an MoT tester & this info comes direct from the Manual - the MoT testers bible).

"Vehicles having a Q registration - for emission purposes only, all types of vehicle are to be considered as vehicles first used b4 1st Aug 1975. For all other testing purposes should be considered as vehicle 1st used b4 1st June 1971."

Surely that can't be completely right (that for all other purposes it should be considered pre-1971)? - MOT testers now have to check that number plates are "legal" - does that mean a Q plater could now used black and white plates as far as MOT is concerned? Similarly, I believe rear fog lights apply to cars bult from 1979, so would this not apply to Q-platers???

I appreciate that there may be other laws that have to be complied with, but technically what you are quoting is that you can't get an MOT fail on black number plates or lack of fog light (and anything else brought in since 1971)

the words "left hand" and "right hand" relating to UK laws come to mind

Jimbo

posted on 26/9/06 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost

The next section is the one that causes confusion including amongst MoT stations - IT DOES NOT APPLY TO Q REG VEHICLES!!!

"For emission purposes only Kit car & amateur built vehicles first used b4 1st Aug 1998 are to be considered as first used b4 1st Aug 1975. Kit car & amateur built vehicles first used on or after 1st Aug 1998 are required to obtain SVA & should be tested to the limits stated on the registration document"

So, at last, there is a good reason for having a Q plate, even if you SVA & register a vehicle now & it has a 2006 engine, although you'll need to pass a CAT test at SVA you can then take it off once passed as you don't have a CAT test at MoT time!

I would point out that a LOT of testers are unsure of the rules, but if they try to insist on a CAT test on a Q plate car, or a pre Aug '98 car (irrelevant of what age of engine is in it now or at SVA) print this off & show them, they should then be able to find the relevant sections of the manual. If that fails ask them to check with their local area office, if that fails ask for an appeals form if they fail the car - no MoT station likes appeals because it involves extra "Ministry Attention" - believe me, never welcome!
If you're in the Basildon area of Essex I would suggest using Amethyst Autos at Laindon 01268 413166 from whom this info was obtained & where you won't get a "silly" fail.
Hope this helps straighten things out!

not quite correct, we've just gone through this. go to http://nw.rhocar.org/MOT%20emission%20testing.htm to see the actual page from the MOT testers manual, and reasoning.

Q plates can be funny, also cars that were built in the early days of SVA, when it wasn't functioning all over, ie 1998 to 2002.
Basically, it's when your car was "first used" not when your kit was first registered, so if you had a 1984 sierra for donor, but registered it in 1999, then it should come up as first used in 1984, so would be under the 1975 emissions test, ie visual only.
If the figures are on the testers sheet (& your log book) then, tough, that's what's used.

[Edited on 26/9/06 by Jimbo]

[Edited on 26/9/06 by Jimbo]

gingerprince

posted on 29/9/06 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alister667
I'm pretty sure I am not the only one with emmisions limits in my V5 special notes section

Nope, mine has the SVA limits in the special notes section. HOWEVER in the body of the V5 itself there are separate sections for the various emissions levels - and I would assume that these figures (if they existed) would be the ones used by the computer. Mine is blank in these spaces so I will be using the Q-plate printout when I get an MOT!

russbost

posted on 29/9/06 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
I think you are confusing the issue again - I have previously had this as a question on the paper at the MoT testers refresher course given by VOSA - if the car is a Q plate it's date of reg, first use or anything else is irrelevant it has to meet only the pre '75 requirements for emissions.
If you have an age related plate then you start getting into engine age etc etc & you may well have to have a CAT test (unless you have a pre '95 engine.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.