Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Police impressed with mac1
fesycresy

posted on 20/9/06 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
Police impressed with mac1

After three weeks of the countries biggest gang pointing at me as they passed in the opposite direction (I thought they were being polite) they finally had me.

With no mirrors and no front number plate they've had their work cut out. But as we both approached a mini roundabout from different directions on came the lights.

They had a good look over the car, with me explaining it only had a 1 litre bike engine, they were pretty shocked.

But there's a problem, they gave me a producer and I haven't changed over the address on my licence.

Do I send it off quick and just explain it's at DVLA or produce the old licence ?

Cheers, Lyn.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

oliwb

posted on 20/9/06 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone know where the police stand on not having a front number plate?? I can't fit mine as it either overheats the car or smashes the first time you hit a ripple in the road! Was considering having one made up and storing it in several bits in the foot well "sorry officer it was smashed this morning!" I know legally I should have one but any idea if the police would bother stopping me??? Would rather not be as I'm in the middle of their application process! Oli.

PS.
Sorry for hi-jack!

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fesycresy

posted on 20/9/06 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Best answer; didn't someone say because it's below 550kg it doesn't need a plate ? Obviously bullshit, but worth a try. Do plastic pigs have front number plates ?

I can't put one on the front of my car because it would spoil the looks. So f**k 'em.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

nick205

posted on 20/9/06 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
Lyn,

If I were you, I'd take the license along with th wrong address and say you're about to send it off. In my extensive experience they'd rather see a licence than not, even if you tell them it's with the DVLA.

Last time I couldn't produce mine in time (student in Manchester, licence locked in student halls over summer holidays) they sent it straight to court, no questions asked. Much larger fine and 5 points instead of 3

JackNco

posted on 20/9/06 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oliwb
Anyone know where the police stand on not having a front number plate?? I can't fit mine as it either overheats the car or smashes the first time you hit a ripple in the road! Was considering having one made up and storing it in several bits in the foot well "sorry officer it was smashed this morning!" I know legally I should have one but any idea if the police would bother stopping me??? Would rather not be as I'm in the middle of their application process! Oli.

PS.
Sorry for hi-jack!

I know it doenst look the part but what about having one of the stick on ones on your nose one? are they even really legal ?

John

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jos

posted on 20/9/06 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
I'd produce the old license and be prepared for slapped wrists. Just dont say you moved house 6 years ago and havent got around to sending it off. I'd hope theyd let you get off with moving house a couple of months ago, but i wouldnt push my luck any further

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

jos

posted on 20/9/06 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
stick ons are no longer legal i think

thats not to say i wouldnt use one myself though

[Edited on 20/9/06 by jos]

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

DIY Si

posted on 20/9/06 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
The stick on ones are technically illegal as they don't meet the reflectivity requirements. But I've had one for years on a mini and not been pulled about it.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

JackNco

posted on 20/9/06 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
What about setting up a hindged system, so when stoped it hangs down from under bottom of the opening at the front, then at speed just folds away under, woudlnt spoil the look 2 much and if u gett pulled u could just say the nut cmae loose that holds it in place

John

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.

Humbug

posted on 20/9/06 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
The stick on ones are technically illegal as they don't meet the reflectivity requirements. But I've had one for years on a mini and not been pulled about it.

...and I think they have to be more or less vertical (so the cameras can get them!)

DIY Si

posted on 20/9/06 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Risky at best. If they spotted it, that'd take some explaining! I'd suggest getting a sticky plate and slap it on the nose cone. There's so many running around like it, the plod don't appear to give a monkeys about it. Some kind of hidden plate system would come in handy for speed cameras though.
Whilst the plate should be near vertical, mine's nearly horizontal on the bonnet. MOT man raised an eye brow and passed it anyway, so I consider it to be fine. If it's illegal anyway, sod it.

[Edited on 20/9/06 by DIY Si]

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Pants On Fire

posted on 20/9/06 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
I forgot to change my address on my licence some years ago, I got a 5 day wonder for a failed rear brake light.

When I produced I was cautioned under the PACE act and was told it was in the hands of the CPS as to what happened next. Nothing ever came of it.

fesycresy

posted on 20/9/06 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
It's not even a photo license, it's an old paper one, I've even got 15 points on it (kept for posterity).

Aah shite this could get sticky.

JackNco

posted on 20/9/06 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
15!!!!!!!

ok heres what you do, get your self a big coat.... and hide under it.

Failing that there must be someone you can ring for aadvice, solicitor or something?

John

DIY Si

posted on 20/9/06 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

ok heres what you do, get your self a big coat.... and hide under it

What sort of advice is that? You need a big BOX, not a coat!

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

StevieB

posted on 20/9/06 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
The stick on ones might be illegal, but they used to be OK. If you have a Q plate, who'd know (apart from the fact you only had it SVA'd last week or something!)
russbost

posted on 20/9/06 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
No number plate, or an incorrect/damaged plate is a £30 fine & no points! Bargain! my front plate isn't exactly vertical (in fact nearer horizontal), but probably generates a bit of downforce! Not been pulled - yet.

On the subject of the licence just take it in & explain you've moved & forgot to send it off, I doubt they'll do anything about it.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
JackNco

posted on 20/9/06 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
quote:

ok heres what you do, get your self a big coat.... and hide under it

What sort of advice is that? You need a big BOX, not a coat!

LOL sorry its a quote from the simpsons

Mr G

posted on 20/9/06 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
I can remember getting a producer and definately did'nt have my current address on my license when I went in.

I did'nt have any problems and all I did was explain the situation and my terrible memory.

Maybe I was a lucky one?

pifular

posted on 20/9/06 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
no plate clarity. since jan 1st 2004 it has been illegal for a number plate retailer in england and wales to supply self adhesive letters or a flexible background. If you have one from before that date you are ok until it needs replacing for wahtever reason hence why plods are not pulling people for them.

other than that just go to southern ireland ( read as internet ) or scotland for your replacement plate. the law will come to those places eventually and in around 89 trillion years they will achieve the goal of having us all with camera friendly plates by starving supply. perhaps we should set up a flexy plate and number exchange scheme on here

DIY Si

posted on 20/9/06 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
There's no need to go to such far away places. Go to your nearest sign makers and ask them to make one. I think mine was only £10-12. No eye brows raised either.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

UncleFista

posted on 20/9/06 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oliwb
Anyone know where the police stand on not having a front number plate??<snip>

We have no front plate on our Locost and it's been on the road 3 years and many (far too many) thousands of miles, gets driven at night a lot too (less traffic) and only once have we been questioned about it.
It was during a regular "speeding" pull when the panda driver asked, I bluffed him by saying it didn't need one 'cos it weighs less than 650kgs, he seemed happy to accept that (but no doubt a trafpol officer would have been less gullible .

As an aside, the local ESSO petrol station refused to serve me with fuel because they couldn't note my reg before dispensing fuel. I'm usually an easy-going chap but it pissed me off so much I argued the toss until the bloke served me, the winning argument was that they served motorcycles

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Avoneer

posted on 20/9/06 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
TBH, it's been a very long time since I saw any number plate offences go through the Court system.

Whether they are dealt with by fixed penalties is another matter as that's nothing to do with the Court, but as far as the CPS go, I must have only ever seen about 5 number plate offences in the 8 years I've worked at Court.

Leave the front plate off, but carry it in the passenger footwell - say it's just fallen off!

Pat...

No trees were killed in the sending of this message.
However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

snapper

posted on 20/9/06 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
If you court danger sooner or later you will get bitten. If the law want they could just about nick any car and any driver on the road. Don't flaunt the law you will not win, pay lip service to it and 9 time out of 10 you will get away with it. A stick on plate or a very small one would probably got you away with it or at least a ticking off with a get it fixed ticket.
coozer

posted on 20/9/06 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I'm concerned its not illegal to not have your home address on your licence. It only helps when they are behind you and get all your details before they pull you.

I've moved around a fair bit in the last 25 years but my licence still has my mams address on it since I passed my test.

I passed a bus driver test in a RMC decker for London Transport in 1986. Even though I was living in London at the time and LT had my Twickenham address my licence came back with my mams address on it.

And there it stays untill I die...

My old Striker had a stick on number plate on the front and still has I think. Look at Awinters avatar. In fact the rear one is stick on as well.
Never had any problem with the DVLA or any MOT's.

Steve

[Edited on 20/9/06 by coozer]

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.