Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Why build your own chassi
JackNco

posted on 21/9/06 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
Why build your own chassi

Before i start, i dont mean this in any way as an offence to anyone building there own chassi. the chances are im missing something...

OK so here i go...

Why build your own chassi? i mean after youve invested time designing the thing, then money on the materials and time building it. which has got to be worth something as anyone doing it must be a skilled welder.

Also the chances of builind a chassi thats as good as a tred and tested chassi frm MK or Tiger thats "only" going to cost about 500.00 is it worth it?

I mean I do kind of get it if its just so you can say, yep i built that, even the chassi and just as a challenge to your self. but it still doesnt entierly make sence to me.

So i ask, just out of interest. not as a challenge. why do you guys that build your own chassi do it?

John

[Edited on 21/9/06 by JackNco]

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
UncleFista

posted on 21/9/06 at 01:25 AM Reply With Quote
I just don't understand you kit-car builders, why assemble something someone else has made when you can make your own ?

Personally, I'd do it again (in fact I'm planning to when the new book comes out) and there's a few people on here who've built a kit, then gone on to "roll their own"

Also, I like the fact you can start to build your car with £80 for some steel tube instead of finding a few thousand to get you started, just don't believe for a second it'll be cheap to finish

[Edited on 21/9/06 by UncleFista]

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

C10CoryM

posted on 21/9/06 at 02:03 AM Reply With Quote
For me the Locost is a lesson in fabrication so I can build other cars that are not available to buy .
There are 3 types of car guys: Collectors, builders and drivers. Im a driver, but I am too poor to pay other people to build my stuff. Id never lift a wrench again if I could afford it (Note: I am actually an auto tech by trade :p )

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zetec7

posted on 21/9/06 at 03:11 AM Reply With Quote
Why? Because I wanted to build a car, not assemble one. And the design we ended up using allows more flexibility in tuning the suspension than ANY kit (the cost of pre-fab suspension pieces like these would be prohibitive for the end-buyer). Final result? A custom-built, ultra-high performance car that I built entirely with my own two hands. Kind of a cool thing to be able to say in response to the usual question...
Gunner1

posted on 21/9/06 at 04:19 AM Reply With Quote
I have no reservations in recommending that a person does their own frame, even if it means a welding course at the local college....a great experience!

I had the incredible opportunity to custom design a 2+2+2 frame with Jim McSorley over a period of months. The end result was a frame that fit perfectly the Mustang2 suspension pieces, is fully adjustable and accommodates the Zetec and T-5 without an inch to spare.

And it just looks right.

There is so much time, money and effort that goes into building one of these things - Why start by limiting yourself at the onset, or trusting that some one else can do a better job than you.

It's not the destination - it is the journey anyway.

nitram38

posted on 21/9/06 at 05:10 AM Reply With Quote
Why?
Because my car is unique.

Danozeman

posted on 21/9/06 at 05:40 AM Reply With Quote
I started to make my own chassis but gave up due to having no where inside to build it and it rusted faster than i could get it together. When i bought my house i looked at starting to build it again but still no where inside to do it, so i bought a chassis to save me the hassle which i have modified anyway.

IF i had a garage i would make the chassis myself and build another, for one simple fact. I can say "I made that myself". Plus the metal will cost u 100 quid and several hours in the garage. The remaining 400 u would have spent will buy you some of the other bits u need.

As per the book it should cost u £250 to do the whole thing

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

RazMan

posted on 21/9/06 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
Why build your own chassis?

You could ask that question about every other part of the car - Why do your own wiring? ...... why make your own bodywork? ...... why set up your own suspension?

The answer? ...... BECAUSE YOU CAN!

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

ch1ll1

posted on 21/9/06 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
as the book says build your our sports car

i think most of the fun was building it !
thats why when i finished mine , i started on my next one !

we can all put lego together !
buy a chassis for speed,
or you can build your own and say i built that !

russbost

posted on 21/9/06 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
You will also find, having learnt to weld, it is very useful in fabrication of all sorts of other more minor bits like brackets etc. during the rest of the build. World would be a sad & boring place if we all had/built/wanted the same.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
whitestu

posted on 21/9/06 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
It depends how much time you want to spend building the car.

Most people decide which bits of the build they will find difficult or don't want to do and get others to do it for them.

In a perfect world I'd probably have a go at building a chassis but as time didn't allow I bought a kit.

The whole thing was finished in 9 months working one evening a week and extra time here and there as opportunity allowed.

I'd be nowhere near finished if I had scratch built the car.

I'm pleased witht he result and definately wouldn't consider building a chassis if I did it again.

Stu

caber

posted on 21/9/06 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
I think it is an interesting challenge to build from scratch but more than anything i have learned a lot! My welding skills are improved as are fabrication skills. I now understand a great deal more about chassis design and construction and I agree I have taken a lot of time and not saved a geat deal of money when i count in the cost of sundries including welding gas, grinding wheels, welding rod, etc. etc. However I wil be able to say i built it all myself and he minor modifications i have made will give me an absolutely unique car at the end of the day.

Caber

ch1ll1

posted on 21/9/06 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
i took 3 months from start to finish (not inc sva)

built the chassis from scratch, lots of hours every night, loads of hassel from the wife

PaulBuz

posted on 21/9/06 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
I echo the sentiments of the other true locost builders here.
My objective is to make everything that I practically can ,myself.
I am fortunate that I have a lathe as well.
I would rather make a part,than buy something for possibly less than the cost of my materials.
Why?.................because its unique!

ATB
Paul

johnemms

posted on 21/9/06 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
If i took short cuts i may as well just buy a car ................

Everyone who knows me also ask how i'm getting on..........

When its finished my kids will look back and say...

If that old fool can build that - god knows what i can achive

It's gotta be done i'm afraid...

Mod Everything!!!!!!!

[Edited on 21/9/06 by johnemms]

StevieB

posted on 21/9/06 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
I'd have loved to have built my own, but by the time I'd bought all the equipment and learned to weld properly (lots of waste stel for mistakes!), it'd have been cheaper to buy a kit anyway.

I don't have the equipment, space or skills to weld, so I didn't have much choice.

Might consider building the next one though, when the new book comes out.

Peteff

posted on 21/9/06 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
Most of the people I know who have built chassis already had the know how and tools so it was just time and materials. When I built my chassis the materials were under £100 for the actual chassis not including the aluminium for the panels and the sheet for the floor. My time is free if I'm using it for my own amusement.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

DavidM

posted on 21/9/06 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
You could equally ask the question, why build a kit car when you can buy one ready built. The reasons are the same.

Anyone who is building a book chassis is building to a tried and tested design, it is after all a copy of a Westfield chassis. As long as the fit, finish and welding are up to scratch then there should be no problems.
I personally think that a lot of scratch built chassis are of better quality than bought items which will always be made to a price.

David

[Edited on 21/9/06 by DavidM]

[Edited on 21/9/06 by DavidM]

Proportion is Everything

StevieB

posted on 21/9/06 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
Production line items will never be a match for care and attention given to one item made by one person for his own needs (as long as there's no deadline to achieve!)
BusaLoco

posted on 21/9/06 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Next Time No Kit

I admit it.
I didn't believe I had the personal "kit" to self build and opted for a kit for my first car. My learning curve went straight up and now am confident enough to go ahead and "sratch" build the next one.... I'm dreaming of a BEC Middie...Woo Woo!.

nick205

posted on 21/9/06 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
I chose to buy a kit after reading THE BOOK and doing a bit of research. My choice was down to timescales rather than willingness to learn and desire to achieve. It's taken me 3 years to get to the point of being ready for the SVA, I suspect if I had embarked on making my own chassis, then building a car would be something I started, but never finished.

Perhaps a question for those who have built their own chassis (to which I tip my hat) is....

How many of you have gone the whole hog and built your own ally and/or GRP bodywork?

IMHO that would make a car truly individual IMHO.

See Steve Grabers photo archive (username "sgraber" for a source of true inspiration in what can be achieved - truely awesome!

Cheers
Nick

PS - you should also take a look at alanb's build as well, another true car builder who's designed and built his own bodywork

[Edited on 25/9/06 by nick205]

Alan B

posted on 21/9/06 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
......Perhaps a question for those who have built their own chassis (to which I tip my hat) is....

How many of you have gone the whole hog and built your own ally and/or GRP bodywork?........

Hand up here at the back....

StevieB

posted on 21/9/06 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
I would really like to have the bodywork on my Indy made of ali rather than GRP (a la original 7), with just the wings and nose made from plastic.

However, I just don't have the skille to make it look good and not have lots of hammer dings all over the place.

Anyone know where you can buy it/have it fitted?

NS Dev

posted on 22/9/06 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JackNco
Before i start, i dont mean this in any way as an offence to anyone building there own chassi. the chances are im missing something...

OK so here i go...

Why build your own chassi? i mean after youve invested time designing the thing, then money on the materials and time building it. which has got to be worth something as anyone doing it must be a skilled welder.

Also the chances of builind a chassi thats as good as a tred and tested chassi frm MK or Tiger thats "only" going to cost about 500.00 is it worth it?

I mean I do kind of get it if its just so you can say, yep i built that, even the chassi and just as a challenge to your self. but it still doesnt entierly make sence to me.

So i ask, just out of interest. not as a challenge. why do you guys that build your own chassi do it?

John

[Edited on 21/9/06 by JackNco]

Can't be bothered to read the whole thread, but having done the job both ways (built chassis and bought chassis) I can confirm that making it yourself, as long as you can wekd to a high standard, is actually the better option.

Most of the £500 chassis are not actually all that great!!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.