Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Ebay scam
Mike R-F

posted on 21/9/06 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Ebay scam

Anyone aware of any current Ebay scams? I'm just received a mail purporting to be for Ebay suggesting that my account has been hijacked & requesting me to click on a link to verify my account details. I'm slightly suspicious.Apparently if I don't do this within 72 hours, my account will be temporarily suspended.
smartmove

posted on 21/9/06 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
Don't click on any links coming from ebay. If they have a genuine query regarding your account it will be flagged up when logging in to your account at ebay.com. Don't belive anything you may appear to receive from them in email.
BKLOCO

posted on 21/9/06 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Ebay, Banks, Building societies, etc. etc
NEVER EVER ask for account details by email.
IF ITS IN YOUR INBOX ITS A SCAM.

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

Macbeast

posted on 21/9/06 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Don't be slightly suspicious - be VERY VERY suspicious.

E-bay and banks do NOT send e-mails like this.

Never ever give out your bank, or indeed any, personal information - unless it's to me, whom you can trust implicitly

StevieB

posted on 21/9/06 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Go to the Ebay site and register your conmplaint - they take thios sort of thing very seriously!
UncleFista

posted on 21/9/06 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Log into ebay as you normally do, check your messages, if ebay ever send you an email there'll be a copy of it in your messages folder. If it's not there, it's a spurious one.

As for the dodgy email, forward it to spoof@ebay.com

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

RobBrown

posted on 21/9/06 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
I've just had one of these.

I stupidly clicked on the link to unsuspend

Went straight into ebay and changed password, after realising. Also registered complaint with ebay.

Hopefully changing the password would have stopped them doing anything with my account.

There wasn't a message in my ebay messages inbox, to say I was suspended, so must be a scam.

Rob

TPG

posted on 21/9/06 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
..or click the link and fill in your eBay name.Something childish and stupid normally works for me.And then your password,Again something very childish and silly.And then sit back and laugh at the person trying to work out why Havingaf**kingbigshitee and password:hackypolpbreath don't work....

..Which was nice..

clockwork

posted on 22/9/06 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
^^^ I wouldn't click the link as they will know you received the email, then you will be on the spammers email list forever . . . . and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and ever and . . . .
MikeRJ

posted on 23/9/06 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
I always follow the links in scammers emails, just out of curiosity.

About 12 months ago I found a scammers web site that hadn't been set up properly so all the files were visible as a directory listing. Amongst them was a list of all the people that had been scammed with credit card numbers, PINs, passwords, home addresses etc.

Reported it to ebay who were utterly useless. They simply don't care about anything other than making lots of money.

Rang up Internet Crime Division of the Metropolitan police, who thanked me for the details, but said they were powerless to do anything as the server was located outside the UK (I traced it to a university in Iraq!).

The list was growing daily, and with the knowledge that virtualy anyone could stumble accross the files as well as the scammers, I felt I had to do something, so ended up phoning all the people in the UK (~100) and emailing everyone else (~400) to warn them to cancel cards etc.

Responses were interesting, lots of people very gratefull but several very suspicious (understandably, I would have been) as they wouldnt believe I would be phoning them if I didn't have something to gain. Explaining how I came to be in possesion of their phone number and credit card details to each person was a bit tricky, they simply couldnt belive that the details they had entered could be freely available.

Any decent email client should show the real links instead of the text when you hover over the link, so if it doesn't look right (e.g. just an ip address, or completely diferent URL) don't click.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.