Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering Wheel Height
Ivan

posted on 29/9/06 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Steering Wheel Height

I am busy making the brackets for the steering column. I sat in the car to decide on the steering wheel location (with suitable brrmmm brrmm noises) and decided that 350 mm from the floor to the bottom of the steering wheel felt good

But from outside the car this looks far too high with the steering wheel sticking about 125mm above the scuttle

What have you used and are you happy with the result - if not what would you change it to?

I can move the wheel lower but it might not be as comfortable - but maybe comfort is no big deal in a locost type car!

DarrenW

posted on 29/9/06 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
im sure there are guidelines in the SVA manual. I failed on mine being too high first time around. Tester jumped in car and his view of road was impeded by the wheel. He then got the gauges out to confirm.

My fix (adjustable column) was to slot out the brackets a touch more and drop it to its lowermost position and also fit smaller aftermarket wheel with suitable crash boss. Using different wheel brings in a new set of regs so you have to be careful (no slots in spokes, suitable radii, different exempt area on dash for switches etc).

irvined

posted on 29/9/06 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
What size wheel are you using?

The center of my 10" wheel sits just under the middle of the scuttle, its a luego which is quite tall, and the top of the steering wheel is a couple if inches above the top of the scuttle.

Sitting in the car is fine, i put it at this height so that my arms where comfortable when i was driving it. If your worried you could always use an adjustable column from a later sierra.

HTH

David

http://irvined.blogspot.com

DarrenW

posted on 29/9/06 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
I used the adjustable column and std wheel when i failed. Cos i only had a hole through dash i could adjust it. However i did find after slotting the dash that it would adjust far enough - hence modding the brackets slots further. Adjuster mech also removed and bolted up solid. As suggested by the tester i then fitted my post SVA wheel (13" dia) and all was well.

Ivan

posted on 29/9/06 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks - In South Africa we obviously don't have an SVA test so no SVA Manual

My scuttle is fairly low so the wheel might not be that high after all - I can see about half the bonnet length over the top of it so hopefully all is OK.

I think I will lower the mounting bracket and use spacers to set the right height once the car has the seats and pedals in.

Building from scratch I have got very used to re-doing things!

caber

posted on 29/9/06 at 05:41 PM Reply With Quote
I am setting mine up with the adjuster working so I can lift the whel to get in and out of the car and drop it down below sightlines but above knees when I am sat in the car

Caber

lexi

posted on 30/9/06 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
Surely sightlines are dependent on seat height. My wheel is set high on purpose and it is well above scuttle. I have long arms. Are there any strict measure definitions? My seats are high.....espectially when I hit ejector button.
Alex

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.