Poll: DNA [View Results]
Yes it would help stop and solve many a crime.
No way.
Jury's still out for me on this one.

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DNA
Jon Ison

posted on 4/10/06 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
DNA

Its in the news at the moment, would you be happy for you and yours too provide a sample? Should samples be taken at birth ?

Discuss.

DIY Si

posted on 4/10/06 at 05:54 PM Reply With Quote
Just on principle, no. I'm not a fan of the nanny state/big brother bit as it is, and this just wanders further down that path. Bit like the ID card stuff, I just don't like everyone/the Gov't knowing all there is to know about me.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

Paul (Notts)

posted on 4/10/06 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
Just looking into having my little girls DNA tested as part of our famiily tree reaserch.

no problems with big brother keeping records taken at birth

would help to put a lot of people away!

Jon Ison

posted on 4/10/06 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I would be happy too have mine on a data base, think it would help solve many a sex crime too, cant be a bad thing can it ?

flak monkey

posted on 4/10/06 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
Ditto Jon and Paul. It would help the police no end. And at the end of the day if you have never done anything wrong, theres no reason to refuse... well IMHO.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

DIY Si

posted on 4/10/06 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Don't get me wrong I can see the good points of it, lots of time saved finding/convicting criminals etc, it's just me being ackward to some extent. Although I do realsie that it's just a more technical version of finger printing, and that data base has been around for some time.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Hellfire

posted on 4/10/06 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
It's my DNA and nobody else has a right to it, so I say no.

Phil

DIY Si

posted on 4/10/06 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
Good to know I'm not the only ackward sod on here.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

StevieB

posted on 4/10/06 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
My opinion (and general experience) is that anyone who refuses to give a sample (not DNA, but any evidence/statement) is immediately on the hit list.

You often find that the ones who protest will actually be very accomodating once you face them down with a few harsh realities!

An ID card and DNA sample wouldn't help to reduce crime though - it'll just open a new industry in ID faking. Out of every set back, there is an alternative opportunity - crims are good at figuring this one out!

[Edited on 4/10/06 by StevieB]

coozer

posted on 4/10/06 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
I'm with Hellfire on this one. I want to be anonymous as much as possible. That should be my right. I'm no criminal so why should they have me on the database, they have enough already.

Also is DNA confirmed as being a definate match? I've not seen anything to say it's 100% correct.

I've been framed by police in the past who threatened me and got the odd punch in when no one else was looking, so I dont trust them one bit.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

DIY Si

posted on 4/10/06 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
I do think it'd help reduce crime, but only certain types. I don't even think the reduction will be that big, as people will just end up being more careful, buying thicker latex gloves etc etc. It's only of use if you/the criminal leave a trace behind. As an aside, how many crimes/trials, as a percentage for example, actually use dna testing to prove guilt?

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

ch1ll1

posted on 4/10/06 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
I AGREE
Ive not got anything to worry about ( i hope )
but its just another thing that they know about us !

it like they know who you are before they stop us in the cars ( so why do they ask us )
i try to keep myself to myself ( even though i a gobby little poo ! ) but that's my problem and i want to keep it that way !

if they got my DNA i would be pulled in every week ( my brother is a druggie)
AND HE CARNT WORK CAUSE HE HAS TO NICK EVERY THING THATS NOT NIALED DOWN
beating ten barrels of crap out of him don't work, nor does prison (he loves it sad git)
i know it wont be exactly the same but it will be near enough and i don't want all that crap
i know some of you will say that's why we need a DNA list
but its not you that get the boy in blue knocking on your door at 3 in the morning !
so there you have it a big NO from me

Simon

posted on 4/10/06 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently DNA is good enough for a 1 in 6 billion chances of a match.

Unfortunately, there are now, well see here (and be afraid!!)

http://www.worldometers.info/

1 in 12 has a DNA duplicate!

As for the q, if I'm req'd to provide a sample for a specific purpose (such as an offence), I'll give willingly, but I want it back afterwards!

ATB

Simon

graememk

posted on 4/10/06 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
its a good idea, but i think your dna should stay yours untill you break the law, then i think its fine to have to give a sample and you lose the right

Johnmor

posted on 4/10/06 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Chances of match.

The chances are less than you think.

The current standard for testing for DNA is a 10 point match, this means a one in 60,000,000 chance.

The americans use a 16 point match.

one in 2,000,000,000.

The situation is the same as you had with finger print, if the jury was told that the prints matched , they always found the person guilty, even when the experts were wrong .

There has already been two cases of DNA mismatch resulting in conviction of inocent people,

In 2003 a wheel chair bound paralysed man was arrested and charged on a burglary count when it took place 300miles away and the perp climbed through a top floor window.
The police were so convinced by the so called experts and their DNA test they refused to drop the charges until 2 medical report showed the guy had been paralysed for almost 3 years.

Dont believe the hype, DNA test are not fool proof and its often fools that use them.

No i would not offer my DNA for a test, goverment records get lost and end up on tips, + you might like this goverment but what about 20 years down the line.

What if someone got hold of your DNA records and used that to steal your identity, who would believe you then..

DNA tests are not a magic bullet for crime detection, just another tool and in the wrong hands a dangerous one.

Its just a way of keeping tabs and reducing your freedom.

Sorry but thas the way i see it.

RichardK

posted on 4/10/06 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
My own personal view is that a dna sample should be taken at the time of your first conviction/imprisonment, at least that way next time they break the law they can be caught a little quicker as stats show high reoffending rates for these sorts of crimes (sex & violence) and if you are a law abiding person it wouldn't affect you.

Just my two penneth

Rich

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 4/10/06 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
My own personal view is that a dna sample should be taken at the time of your first conviction/imprisonment, at least that way next time they break the law they can be caught a little quicker as stats show high reoffending rates for these sorts of crimes (sex & violence) and if you are a law abiding person it wouldn't affect you.

Just my two penneth

Rich

I am with richardk if you get CONVICTED of a serious crime not SP30 you should get your DNA on recorded for a set time like the sex offenders list.

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

StevieB

posted on 4/10/06 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
What about cases where people are commiting serious crimes that totally f**k the lives of the innocent (serial rapists and peadophiles)?

If you had a DNA record for every person, you'd narrow down the offender as soon as you've got a trace of DNA on the first crime - no-one else needs to be hurt.

They've also just announced a new breakthrough in DNA technology in this country that far outweighs the US tech (according to the story, not me)

Peteff

posted on 4/10/06 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
It wouldn't bother me

Being an alien, I can change my DNA sequence at will as can all my clones

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

caber

posted on 4/10/06 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
jon,

"Personally I would be happy too have mine on a data base, think it would help solve many a sex crime too, cant be a bad thing can it ? "

That's some admission! Plod will be round in a minute

Caber

RazMan

posted on 4/10/06 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
My view is that if you have nothing to hide you need not worry about anything like a fingerprint or DNA sample being on file. If it can eliminate you from a list of possible offenders and speed up the capture of a criminal then I am all for it!

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_claydon

posted on 5/10/06 at 07:24 AM Reply With Quote
If DNA becomes too relied upon and trusted by juries then it won't be long before criminals start scattering other people's DNA in some for at a crime scene so the police get the wrong man. BEWARE!
ch1ll1

posted on 5/10/06 at 07:28 AM Reply With Quote
but why should we !
like some one said yesterday

they can have mine when ever they want
but i want it back straight away !

soon they will be telling us when to breath and when to walk,
they already tell us how fast we can drive or were and when we can drink and smoke !
no problem with then taking mine but i will want it back

Macbeast

posted on 5/10/06 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Well we all know that our governments are totally benign and fair, ho ho ho. But Blair is already saying unborn kids should be monitored for anti-social tendencies.

Wouldn't it be handy, in say 10 years' time, for a computer to identify members of a particular racial or ethnic background.
The computer could then e-mail you your ticket to the gas chamber. I bet they thought it couldn't happen in Germany either.

Remember how the Data Protection Act would ensure that your personal details would not be released to outside agencies? So how come local council parking office can locate me from my registration number ?

I'm sure it happens already but Insurance companies could look at your profile and tell if you are likely to develop cancer, and use this to refuse cover. How long before the NHS does this?

If you trust the police and the Government unreservedly, then go ahead, send in your DNA. But it's going to show you're terminally naive

NO TO DNA REGISTER

[Edited on 5/10/06 by Macbeast]

Catpuss

posted on 5/10/06 at 07:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jon Ison
Personally I would be happy too have mine on a data base, think it would help solve many a sex crime too, cant be a bad thing can it ?

I think you may need to reword the above

That is unless you are Jack the Ripper from old London Town

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.