Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Boot fails.
Dusty

posted on 6/10/06 at 11:14 AM Reply With Quote
Boot fails.

My desktop is having boot problems. Switch on and despite fans and lights it dont boot. No beeps. No whirr from the floppy.
Press hard reboot button, wait, press again and it boots as normal with one beep and loads XP which works fine.
Any ideas what is going on?

mookaloid

posted on 6/10/06 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
There are people who know more about this stuff on here than me, but it sounds like hardware to me. I had something similar once and it was the on/off switch!
ecosse

posted on 6/10/06 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
If its not reaching post it could be either PSU or Mobo, more likely PSU if does eventually boot as mobo failures tend to be terminal.

Do you have a lot of extra cards in the PC or USB devices connected?

Cheers

Alex

RazMan

posted on 6/10/06 at 12:12 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a similar problem with one of my Shuttles. It was the psu going intermittent. Unfortunately the Shuttle jobbies are quite expensive at £45 but if yours is a standard PC you can probably pick one up for about half that.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Spyderman

posted on 6/10/06 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
I've had similar problems when the processor fan started failing. Sometimes it would need two or three resets before booting up.

Spyderman

Dusty

posted on 6/10/06 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Usb cardreader and mouse. Only card is the video card. One cd writer and one floppy disk. 1 Gig of ram and 2800sempron.
Peteff

posted on 6/10/06 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Bios battery still alive?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Hellfire

posted on 6/10/06 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds very much like PSU - has a strange acrid smell been eminating from it lately? They suck all sorts of sh!t into them and they rarely get looked at... hope it's not took MB with it (mine did!)

Good luck

Steve

pbura

posted on 6/10/06 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like your PSU is not sending a "power good" signal to the motherboard, hence the non-boot. Hitting the reset button provides a fake signal, so up she goes.

The lack of signal could well be due to uneven voltage (not good for your computer) so it's best to not run it using the reset trick.

Something you could try is reseating the power supply plug into the mobo. The power good signal comes from the orange wire, so you might take a good look at that one.

BoL!

Pete

graememk

posted on 6/10/06 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
i'll post you a new one for £10 if you like 400w

graeme

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.