Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oulton Park - Any tips?
gingerprince

posted on 6/10/06 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Oulton Park - Any tips?

Right, I've booked myself on a trackday at Oulton park in November (with ARDS training so should be good). Any tips from anyone who's driven it before? (apart from pray for dry weather!) What's it like for run-off etc?
Hellfire

posted on 6/10/06 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
November the 10th by any chance

We'll hopefully be there too.

Phil

gingerprince

posted on 6/10/06 at 12:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
November the 10th by any chance

We'll hopefully be there too.

Phil

Nope, November 25th. Was a bargain through an owners club (134 quid with ARDS training open pit-lane with dedicated sessions for the training).

Hellfire

posted on 6/10/06 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
Only a fiver cheaper than we'd be paying!

Still... it's a fiver...

Jubal

posted on 6/10/06 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
I'm there on the 10th! Be good to say hello Hellfire.

As for the track, it's great. I'm still learning it in this car. The thing I like is the high speed corners, Cascades especially. But I've seen some big offs there on trackdays so it makes me a bit wary. The major danger point is Druids, it's a double apex at high speed and very easy to get wrong. I once saw a tin top racer barrel roll about 10 times before hitting the barrier. All he had done was clip the curb on the inside, it threw him out wide, onto the curb on the outside and over he went

higgsti

posted on 18/10/06 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
mitsubishi lancer day? did cadwell with them end of september on a damp track and first time there .they had a grip advantage .there was 25 evos there like wasps .oulton park is a great track with decent run off be carfull at druids because the evo boys have 4 wheel drive etc they dont understand the principle of rwd the car doing most of the driving for them and so might try and push you faster than you would like into corners just be carefull and remember its up to the person behindto make sure its safe to overtake
Duncan Mould

posted on 19/10/06 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Oulton Park

Oulton park is my favourite circuit in the UK, Its like a mini roller coaster such a nice circuit to drive on, beware of deers leep it can bite you and have seen people overcook it and slam into the pitwall.
Are you doing the full circuit or 3/4 ?
Have fun

markrally73

posted on 24/10/06 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
Been there today riding with a friend and a scooby drifted wide at druids and he hit the brakes and so we t-boned him!!!

Not much damage but lost loads of tracktime fixing the car.

Good circuit though, was in MAzda 323 turbo severely modified, passed a new 911 turbo (£110k worth) The driver came in after us and came over to our garage to see what was under the bonnet!!!!
Best part of the day.

Going back soon, november the 4th (£89 for a full day)

Cheers

Mark

higgsti

posted on 25/10/06 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
whos that day with
Stu16v

posted on 27/10/06 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by markrally73
Been there today riding with a friend and a scooby drifted wide at druids and he hit the brakes and so we t-boned him!!!

Not much damage but lost loads of tracktime fixing the car.

Good circuit though, was in MAzda 323 turbo severely modified, passed a new 911 turbo (£110k worth) The driver came in after us and came over to our garage to see what was under the bonnet!!!!
Best part of the day.

Going back soon, november the 4th (£89 for a full day)

Cheers

Small world Mark, I was there too! The Mazda was a little rocket ship mate So impressive, that my mate is seriously considering the feasability of sticking one in the front of his locost (it seems he has blown the Zetec up...again!).

Fantastic day. Probably the best I have been too in fact - and loads of track time. The only time my car was stationary was for driver change/fuel.
Clocked 250 miles (and I'm sure my speedo is under reading ATM), and used over 100 litres of fuel. Yep, I used approximately half a full tank in the car, and emptied 5 20 litre jerry cans into it!

Dont just build it.....make it!

Jubal

posted on 10/11/06 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
So, I was at Oulton today. It started greasy and one of the MK lads stuffed the new single seater into the tyre wall early doors They seemed quite relaxed about it.

As the day went on it dried out and I picked up speed but there were cars dropping off the track everywhere. I've never seen so many stoppages! We lost loads of tracktime. A broken green hayabusa MK cost me a cold 30 min wait in the pitlane.

The came the rain, I was running slicks and for a few laps things were fine but once the heat went from the tyres and it was like dancing on ice. I can only imagine what it must be like with more power. Eeek. I came in and over the tannoy the marshall was bemoaning the fact that 7 drivers had chucked if off in the last 5 mins!

The stoppages were a pain but the attitude of the marshalls over the tannoy was the most annoying thing. At one point they were shouting threats into the paddock like a primary school teacher. Come on guys, you know the culprits - either pull them up and show your teeth or STFU. Don't threaten everyone.

I'm back there on the 1st. Hoping for a bit more track time

chriscook

posted on 11/11/06 at 11:29 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a bad day. Had a great day there myself on Tuesday. Some off board video here. The phoenix is me, the Astra GSI is the GF's brothers and the porker was just in the garage next door but the GF's dad got a drive. Rescued attachment Phoenix2_small.jpg
Rescued attachment Phoenix2_small.jpg

Jubal

posted on 11/11/06 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Not a bad day as such. Just a bit frustrating. The car was awesome, hunting down Evos and Subarus so I was happy enough

Have a pic of me seeing off a Tiger (?) and chasing down said Evo. Rescued attachment oulton10thsmall.jpg
Rescued attachment oulton10thsmall.jpg

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.