Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BBC News kit car crash
Peteff

posted on 8/10/06 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
BBC News kit car crash

Read this article on the BBC site.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

john_p_b

posted on 8/10/06 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

mookaloid

posted on 8/10/06 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
That's very sad news.
nick205

posted on 8/10/06 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
not good!
Deckman001

posted on 8/10/06 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Very Sad news, No-one on here I hope !!

Jason

seadog

posted on 8/10/06 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
How Awful, It sends a shudder down my spine just thinking about it. I too hope it's no-one here we know.

[Edited on 8/10/06 by seadog]

JoelP

posted on 8/10/06 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
gutted. Makes me feel bad about all the times ive nearly lost it on the road with passangers. Sort of glad its only doing trackdays nowdays.

Lets just hope it wasnt driver error or somone is going to feel very bad indeed.

TimC

posted on 8/10/06 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, I know what you mean. The new build is for track only and then no passemgers!

ch1ll1

posted on 8/10/06 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
sad news !
does make you think though !

mad dad

posted on 8/10/06 at 02:25 PM Reply With Quote
Really sorry to read this its so easy to think the handling of these cars is invincible........

asn163

posted on 8/10/06 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
Very sad and our thoughts and condolences must go to friends and family.

However, just a thought but why did they need to emphasise "kit car" in the headline? Are they trying to imply that if it had been a normal car things would have been different? Even in a tin-top the last thing you want to run into is a tree!

In these PC times the last thing we need are people suggesting that we as drivers, or our cars, are unsafe.

Simon

JoelP

posted on 8/10/06 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
if i had the choice of hitting a tree in my normal car or a cow in my kit car, id choose the tree all day long. Point is, these cars ARE unsafe compared to 'normal' modern cars.
mookaloid

posted on 8/10/06 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
You get more protection in a car than on a motorbike - which one of the reasons why I drive one of these cars rather than still riding a motorbike.
smart51

posted on 8/10/06 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by asn163
why did they need to emphasise "kit car" in the headline?

Journalists are not normal people. They just can't stop themselves "making" news stories "interesting". Thats why they say things like 'John Smith, 34, arrived at his home to find it had been burgled'. His age has nothing to do with it. If it had been an Aston Martin that had crashed, it would have been called the 195 MPH super car as if its top speed some how caused a 50 MPH crash.

Sadly, you have to know how to "read" news stories to get at the facts.

iank

posted on 8/10/06 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
From the news story it could have been anything from some really dodgy 70's kit used as a wedding car to a BEC. The fact the report mentioned front seat passenger could be read to imply it was a 4/5 seater (but it's probably just lazy reporting).

Hitting a tree (or a cow) in any car will probably kill you. 7's are actually pretty safe in a front accident, getting a side/rear impact are their weaknesses.

Still crap to be family of a fatality, worse if the head injuries are what is making him hard to identify

TangoMan

posted on 8/10/06 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Really sad news and only just down the road from me!!!

I drive through Austerfield most weekends in the seven (and often in the tintop).

There is a yellow seven lives between me and Retford that was not on his drive when I drove past earlier. I hope he was out for a blat!!

One of my workforce lives in Austerfield so I will see what he knows on Monday. Just hoping it's not a yellow seven or anyone of the forum!!

I had a bad crash last year in my TVR with my son in. Thankfully although I was badly injured he only got seatbelt bruising. He also suffered lots of mental anguish as he saw his dad in a bad way. He used to love cars but won't get in one now unless he has to. I still drive too fast on my own but am much more careful with passengers.

I still feel really badly about it so can't imagine how this driver will feel. Lots of sleepless nights for while I fear. I just hope it wasn't his fault.

Summer's here!!!!

jacko

posted on 8/10/06 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
apparantly on the news it was a blue westfield from Retford
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 8/10/06 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Genuine heartfelt sympathy from here too the all family and friends of all concerned............

Sad news.

SixedUp

posted on 8/10/06 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Journalists are not normal people. They just can't stop themselves "making" news stories "interesting". Thats why they say things like 'John Smith, 34, arrived at his home to find it had been burgled'. His age has nothing to do with it. If it had been an Aston Martin that had crashed, it would have been called the 195 MPH super car as if its top speed some how caused a 50 MPH crash.

Sadly, you have to know how to "read" news stories to get at the facts.

If you want to understand how and why journalists write stories the way they do, read "Writing for journalists" by Wynford Hicks. I got a copy to try to improve the way I write technical articles for publication. It's a very interesting book, very readable, and is often used as a textbook on journalism courses. About a tenner on amazon etc.

No association/relation/financial interest etc

Cheers
Richard

SixedUp

posted on 8/10/06 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
if i had the choice of hitting a tree in my normal car or a cow in my kit car, id choose the tree all day long. Point is, these cars ARE unsafe compared to 'normal' modern cars.

Sadly, you'd be likely to fare little better in a tintop than a kitcar. Car vs tree apparantly almost always results in fatalities. Even if you had a rollcage, and stopped the intrusion / deformation, the deacceleration would probably kill you if you were doing much more than about 60mph. We were just never designed to cope with those kinds of forces

Cheers
Richard

wilkingj

posted on 8/10/06 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Poor bloke died of head injuries. Dont know if he was wearing a helmet, but I will now for all journeys.

Not knowing the exact circumstances, its always difficult, as we will probably never know the exact cause of the crash.

A sad day for us all.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Marcus

posted on 9/10/06 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
I know the road very well, that corner tightens as you go round with a bump mid corner - one of my faves. On Local radio, they said it was someone from Haxey - I know of an MK and a Westy in Haxey - hope it's neither of them

Marcus

Because kits are for girls!!

iank

posted on 9/10/06 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Marcus
I know the road very well, that corner tightens as you go round with a bump mid corner - one of my faves. On Local radio, they said it was someone from Haxey - I know of an MK and a Westy in Haxey - hope it's neither of them

A previous post suggests a blue westy.

richardR1

posted on 9/10/06 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
There is a thread on the Westfield forum about this. Seems like it was a guy who had only recently got the car in a deal against an Evo 8 he had and he was letting his mate have a drive. Absolutely tragic, we all need to take care out there, especially with the greasy roads at this time of year.

[Edited on 9/10/06 by richardR1]

MK Owners Club Member 1015

NS Dev

posted on 10/10/06 at 08:17 AM Reply With Quote
yep, don't forget there will be a lot of mud on the road with it being maize harvesting time, its bad enough in a normal car, lethal in a 7.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.