Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: magnets
dilley

posted on 11/10/06 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
magnets

Im installing a digidash with speedo pickup on the propshaft, do the magnets have to be 180derees to each other or both together?

what i the best thing to stick them with??

Thanks Andrew.

DIY Si

posted on 11/10/06 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
The magnets should be equally spaced around the shaft.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

dilley

posted on 11/10/06 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
thanks Si.
DIY Si

posted on 11/10/06 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not sure how to best attach them though. I've heard various ways, and success and failure with most ways. Some use araldite or othe glues, some use a strap of some sort or all manor of other ways.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

watsonpj

posted on 11/10/06 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Glue magnets

Plenty of araldite and then skim some over the top aswell . I also used sellotape and put araldite over that also. Their not going anywhere .
Jon Ison

posted on 11/10/06 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
180* best you can don't have too be 100%, araldite works for me, i drilled a small hole and dimpled them in too, I did lose one years back on the isonblade, as you know I got the car back recently after a 3 year absence, guess what I found stuck too the inside wall of the transmission tunnel whilst I was checking her over ?

Correct, the missing magnet.

If your on a limited mileage policy it can help if one falls off from time too time, ok you lose the gear indicator but speed is easy too manage as it just reads exactly 1/2........ Not that i would condone such actions.

DarrenW

posted on 12/10/06 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Dare i suggest the unfriendly ' do a search' for magnet bonding. Ive had more than fair share of problems. Recently posted some recommendations for improved adhesion.

woo hoo! not so friendly this time - just found the link - http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=44083&page=2

I updated it from 25.9.06 with better ideas and experience.

[Edited on 12/10/06 by DarrenW]

HAL 1
Builder

Posts 226
Registered 5/2/06
Location bolton

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built haldane 100, retirement project Marcos GT

posted on 13/10/06 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
magnets

I'm using an electronic speedo on my kit (non 7) which doesn't use magnets but just needs four evenly spaced pick up points on prop, This might seem a stupid thing to say but are we talking of different things altogether ?

check out http://ruscoe.net/haldane/ or google 'haldane 100' and see what i mean

alternatively could these things not be riveted to the prop, please bear in mind that i haven't seen these things so i dont know how big they are.

DarrenW

posted on 14/10/06 at 12:03 AM Reply With Quote
ETB DD2 use 6mm magnets. after extensive research best nethod seems to be drill 6.2 mm hole half magnet height and bond in place. Also bond over top to seal. Do search to find spec of ultimate glue - not cheap though.

Fast set araldite is NG.

Im trialing sikaflex currently.

furyblade35

posted on 14/10/06 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
ETB also do the bolt head pickup for the DD2 picking up bolt heads instead of using magnets...usually 4 bolt heads.

But that solution is more expensive than the standard magnetic pickup. Talk to ETB.

Cheers,
Al.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.