Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Racing a BEC - 750MC update
progers

posted on 12/10/06 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Racing a BEC - 750MC update

I just thought I would let the wider BEC community know that the 750Motor Club has a specific racing series for Bike engined cars called the Road Going Bike-engined series - RGB for short.

This year some imprtant changes have been made to the class structure to allow more types of cars and engines to race. The class structure is :-

Class C - front engined cars running standard carburetted Fireblade
Class B - Front and mid/rear engined cars with ANY engine under 1000cc
Class A - Front and rear/mid engined cars over 1000cc and less than 180bhp (standard)

The main change has been to class B which has effectively become an open class for anyone running a <1000cc motor. This is the class I run in with a 2003 injeted R1. Its now open to GSXR's ZX10's R1's latest fireblade etc the more the merrier!

Anyone who is interested in racing or just wants to find out a little more about what its like to race in RGB then please feel free to drop an e-mail and I will be as open and honest as I can. I started out doing lots of trackdays and felt to the need to move on to something a bit more competitive. There may be a few of you in this position but feel a bit daunted by taking the "leap" into racing. Having just completed my first year all I can say is that it was one of the best decisions I ever made - its great fun and a real challenge. The RGB itself is very friendly and welcoming and is an ideal start to your racing career, as well as being one of the cheapest ways to get into circuit racing.

Cheers

Paul

e-mail : progers63@btopenworld.com

StevieB

posted on 12/10/06 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
I'd like to know a bit more about racing - mainly the costs involved.

My grand plan is to do some track days and maybe a few sprints next year, then look at either getting a bit more serious with sprinting, and maybe entering a couple of one off events for a proper race.

progers

posted on 12/10/06 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi StevieB,

There are certain fixed costs (clothing, car, race entry fees) and a few more "variable" costs which are to a certain degree down to luck... here's a quick run through

1) Get an MSA "go racing" pack ~ £40 it explains what you need to do to get a race licence and includes a video to help you pass the ARDS written test
2) get you race licence - ARDS test cost around £250
3) Pay the MSA for your licence ~ £40
4) Join a club - the 750MC fees are about £40 yearly + entry fee for the series around £45
5) Buy your equipment - race overalls, boots and helmet. If you are smart you can save money on these buying secondhand. New it will be around £500
6) Your car - base cost of car will vary depending on race series. You will need to equip it with the required safety gear as described in the race series regulations. As a min you will need FIA battery cut out switch, plumbed in fire extinguisher, LED rain light. Full roll cage is not enforced but I would get one just for self preservation...

Most of the above are one off costs just to get started. After that its a case of

1) Entry fees typically £180-220 per race weekend in the 750MC. That will get you one or two races + practice time on circuit
2) Accomodation costs - you can stay in B+B or sleep in the back of the car... I bought a cheap motorhome as I wanted the family to come along too. You see some good converted transit vans which are ideal for 1-2 people. Need to budget for travel and eating out for the weekend
3) Consumables. Tyres, oil etc. I have managed to race nearly all year one set of Yokoham 048s. They cost £270 a set
4) Need a fund to cover cost of putting right any mechanical failures. In my case this has been minimal but some people do blow up engines for example...
5) Crash damage - again an element of luck here. You are likely to get a brush of some description with another car. This usually leaves just a mark on the bodywork more often than not. However some people have been unfortunate enough to have more major damage that requires panel and/or chassis repairs. In club motorsport people tend to try not to hit each other and contact is very much frowned upon by the governing bodies, even so it does happen.

Phew I think thats about it! As you can see the cost is not trivial but if you are sensible it can be kept at reasonable levels. I would hazard a guess that my first seasons racing of 8 meetings has cost me around £3000 excluding car and cost of racing kit etc. Thankfully I have not had major failures and/or crash damage. The temptation is to spend lots of money on go faster bits but in reality the best time gain is in the driver themselves. Get training and learn from the other guys around you :-) Having said that I'm thinking of upgrading the suspension over the winter and fitting a paddle shift....racing is rather addictive y'know

Paul

mark chandler

posted on 12/10/06 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
I fancied having a go at this but got lost on the type of car, the cost effective classes (read cheap blade engines) seem to require a production body. As my BEC is based loosely on a Locost frame I assumed that I could not use it.

As most true Locosts (read hand built not kit) will have the builders interpretation which class are we looking at ?

Regards Mark

progers

posted on 12/10/06 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
There is no reason why a home built locost could not compete in RGB. In class C you need to have "standard" bodywork but all that requires is taking a picture and submitting it. It is more a means of checking that people aren't adding things like front splitters etc which are not part of standard bodywork. Whatever you do for yours is standard is it not :-) For class B and A anything goes apart from aerodynamic aids such as wings.

There is at least one locoblade competing in class C this year, in the past there have been several dotted in class B and C. If you are at all concerned I can put you onto the formula rep who would be more than happy to discuss with you on a one-to-one basis.

If you want a cheap engine why not ZX9r in class B. These are cheaper than blades and have a better (more reliable) gearbox. Same for CBR1000. We all race together in most meetings so there will always be someone racing at your pace regardless how fast you are.

Paul

markrally73

posted on 12/10/06 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
Would a hayabusa mini be allowed then ?
180 bhp as standard

Cheers

Mark

G.Man

posted on 12/10/06 at 03:21 PM Reply With Quote
should be

Opinions are like backsides..
Everyone has one, nobody wants to hear it and only other peoples stink!

progers

posted on 12/10/06 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Can't see why not as long as it meets the technical RGB regs about ride height, weight, tyres etc. There is a rule about having a bulkhead between driver and engine, not sure how that would affect you.

As far as car type the regulations just state "for competitors competing in two seater (non-tandem) cars powered by a series production 4 stroke motorcycle engine...."

Don't think it will be that competitive but I'd love to see it on track!

Paul

mark chandler

posted on 12/10/06 at 06:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply Paul,

I see in the notes someone lives 5 miles up the road from me in Rotherfield so once I,m running I may look him up.

Cheers Mark

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.