Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Shed Size
TimTricker

posted on 12/10/06 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Shed Size

Ahoyhoy! Long time no speak, been away working stupid hours, but now im back to a normal-ish work pattern.

Sooo, now we got that out the way i can get back to the question at hand.

What is the perfect sized shed to work in to build a car in? Ive considerd having a garage in the back garden to build a car in. The main factor in bumping that off is the actual cost of it! So i thought what the hell, i will go and buy a shed. We live in a safe area so it wont be broken into.

SO what size then? Or any over means of coverd holding to build a car in?

Tim

ch1ll1

posted on 12/10/06 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
size wise
i would go twice as big as you think !
i built my first one in a single garage,
most have, but later in the build when you havent cleaned up and all the tools are building up
you will wish you had !

if size isnt a problem or money go as big as you can !
well thats only my view

nick205

posted on 12/10/06 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
see this thread...

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=52551

StevieB

posted on 12/10/06 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
I'd say as a very minnimum, you'd be looking at a single garage with a shed or workshop extention to do your machine work in comfortably.

I'm building in a single garage that's built into a modern house - I spent the first couple of months camping out in the drive under the garage door as it's the only place I could stand. I now have to programme in some time at the end of each garage session to tidy all my tools up and clean the place and spend a good hour or two after each 'phase' of the build squaring everything away. It's a pian int he arse, but the only way I can get some decent working space.

The biggest problem is the safety risk of trying to use power tools in a confined environment where there's too many things to trip over - I've had one or two close calls whilst using a wire brush drill attachment.

Next time, I'll build a shed in the garden as a parts store so I don't keep tripping over the bloody things!

TimTricker

posted on 12/10/06 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
We have a garage out back, but thats got the old mans motorbikes in there. But we got plenty of room down the bottom for a garage. I was thinking along the lines on 10ft by 8ft? Would that be big enough? I say that because ive been offerd a shed that size for free from a bloke i work with.

Oh, and all my tools live in old mans garage.

I would like that massive shed, but we wouldnt have the room for it!

jacko

posted on 12/10/06 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
The chassis are about 10foot long so i dont think 10 x 8 will be big enough ?
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ch1ll1

posted on 12/10/06 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
my garage was 8ft wide x 20ft long
and it was tight (needed it wider )
no i have built another garage 16ft wide x 28ft long so got loads of room in both
but im forever filling them up so
go as big as you poss can !

[Edited on 12/10/06 by ch1ll1]

RazMan

posted on 12/10/06 at 10:36 PM Reply With Quote
I built my beasty in a standard single garage - but never, never again! I know that my car is a bit bigger but it was getting ridiculous in the bad weather - I had to work on it outside as there wasn't enough room for both me AND the car inside.

I'm moving house soon and the first thing on my 'must have' list was a double garage!

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JackNco

posted on 13/10/06 at 12:57 AM Reply With Quote
depends how good u are with ur hands.... big sheds are espensive.... but if u decided to buy 2X 7*5 Sheds you could remove to walls and join them together. instant 14*5 or 10*7 shed!

Make sure you order one with a pent roof though.

N problay for about 240. or if ur from around the coventry area i still know some guys that work in BnQ i can get them to look ut for one with a damaged wall and get one nice n cheap !

John

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

locoboy

posted on 13/10/06 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
mine went for 500 in the end, bloody good deal tho be honest,

18 x 10 was ample, not over spacious but big enough so long as once a month you had a tidy up

ATB
Locoboy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.