Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: alternator wiring
auzziejim

posted on 14/10/06 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
alternator wiring

i have a nippon denso alternator from a daihatsu charade and having searched the archives i find out the alternator needs a feed through the battery light on the dash as well as an ignition live feed. however with my digidash2 how do i splice into the battery light as there is no wire for it

cheers

james

RazMan

posted on 14/10/06 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
I could be wrong so don't quote me on this ....

The Digidash has a voltage sensing warning light (only comes on when volts drop below a threshold) and therefore you will need to wire a separate filament bulb to the 'L' connection on the alternator. The other side of the bulb goes to a switched feed. This will give you the right conditions to excite the coils and start the alternator charging.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
auzziejim

posted on 14/10/06 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
would that mean the bulb will be constantly lit?

any normal warning light will do i suppose with a feed from the ig +

RazMan

posted on 14/10/06 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
No, the bulb would only light when the alternator stops charging for any reason or when the engine is switched off. This is a requirement for alternators but the digidash has an led which does not give the right conditions to trigger charging.
It is a coincidence that I was having problems in this area but with my Evodash. It turns out that the Evodash emulates a filament bulb and therefore works in the normal way.

edit: Any bulb will do - it just needs to be a low wattage filament bulb. When it is fed from both sides (alternator and switched feed) the bulb is at zero voltage. When the alternator switches to earth, the bulb lights.
The Digidash will give a similar warning but it has to wait until the battery drops below around 12V which would also indicat that charging has failed.

[Edited on 14-10-06 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.