Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New hard drive
Peteff

posted on 18/10/06 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
New hard drive

I bought a new hard drive and am in the process of swapping it. I have been imaging the old one onto it so I don't have to reinstall everything and found a free program called g4u which runs from an iso image boot cd. I'm about to put it all back together now to see if it's worked.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mookaloid

posted on 18/10/06 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Good Luck
Agriv8

posted on 18/10/06 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Not a Norton product fan apart from 'Norton Ghost' possibly symantec now

Got me out of the Smelly a couple of times.

gost's disk images very well.

regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Peteff

posted on 18/10/06 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
It seems to have worked but the drive is 160 gig in bios but windoze reports it as 40 gig same as the old one. Some more fiddling about required I think

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

splitrivet

posted on 18/10/06 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Why dont you just use the old drive as a secondary Pete,saves a load of mither.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

Peteff

posted on 18/10/06 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
I will do but I wanted the new faster 160gig drive as the boot drive but it reports it as 40 gig in control panel although bios recognises it so I think the image software has copied the partition info to it and confused windows. Where's a partition manager when you need one?

yours, Pete

ko_racer

posted on 18/10/06 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
The software you used probably didn't resize the partition to the new drive size.

There may be an option in the software for this. I know ghost and drive image can both do this. They copy across the data and then expand the partition to the full size of the new drive.

Another option is to use partition magic to resize the partition on the new drive. All fairly simple to do. Not sure if there is a free util to do this though.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 18/10/06 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
Not really relevant but

I'm running off a Knoppix Live CD now I use Ubuntu on a computer upstairs and thought I'd just try this out, it's gone straight onto the net via another computer running windoze 2000 without me touching a thing, how cool's that? If it wasn't for all the stuff I use on here I'd run Ubuntu on here as well. I'll have to stop messing about now and get this put right so I can play out tomorrow

yours, Pete

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 18/10/06 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
I used acronis true image by far the easiest most user friendly imaging software i have used
pbura

posted on 18/10/06 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
I used a program called Move Me to migrate programs, data, etc., from a Windows 98 computer to a new computer with a fresh install of XP Pro. Everything worked with no re-installs, so I am a big fan.

It can be used for a new HD:

http://www.spearit.com/new_drive.html

Pete

David Jenkins

posted on 18/10/06 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ko_racer

Another option is to use partition magic to resize the partition on the new drive. All fairly simple to do. Not sure if there is a free util to do this though.

Do a google for "gparted" - you have to burn it onto a CD-ROM, then boot from that disk. When it starts it asks a few questions about your computer (screen resolution, etc) then opens a Linux operating system in the computer's RAM. All you have to do is run the partition editor (there's not much else!), select what you want to do, and then shut down and reboot in your favourite OS.

Worked well for me, and 100% free and legal.

David

JackNco

posted on 19/10/06 at 01:48 AM Reply With Quote
format it first the use the image CD

If that doesn't work im out of ideas, personally i find it easier to use a secondary drive to back up data and just do a fresh install every 3 months, ull find the computer is much fast as an image will have all the crap thats slowing the PC down as well. if its a badly made imaging program it will also be fragmented when u install it all again.
John

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 19/10/06 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
format it first the use the image CD

That's my next plan . I've got gparted on a cd somewhere with my linux stuff and didn't think of using it David, I'll have a look for it and give it a try. It's all good fun isn't it and a learning thing as well.

yours, Pete

chockymonster

posted on 19/10/06 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by ko_racer

Do a google for "gparted" - you have to burn it onto a CD-ROM, then boot from that disk. When it starts it asks a few questions about your computer (screen resolution, etc) then opens a Linux operating system in the computer's RAM. All you have to do is run the partition editor (there's not much else!), select what you want to do, and then shut down and reboot in your favourite OS.

Worked well for me, and 100% free and legal.

David

Pah, use a dos boot disk and diskpar, rewrite the partition table changing the end block of the partition. Takes 30 seconds. Done it loads of times with server migrations. Just make sure you don't change the start block

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

JackNco

posted on 19/10/06 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Dos, Floppy disks.......... didnt know anyonebothered with them anymore.... especialy floppy disks, everythings bootable these days. you can even run an OS from a thumb drive

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.

Peteff

posted on 19/10/06 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
I still use boot disks when I have to but a lot of my floppies don't read from one machine to the next, I reckon it's an azimuth thing. I've copied it with the g4u then resized with gparted, it took about 30 minutes to copy the 40gig drive and 30 seconds to resize it. There's probably easier ways to do it but it was free (if you don't count burning two disks) and pretty painless. I've just got to swap the jumpers to run as master now.

yours, Pete

chockymonster

posted on 19/10/06 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JackNco
Dos, Floppy disks.......... didnt know anyonebothered with them anymore.... especialy floppy disks, everythings bootable these days. you can even run an OS from a thumb drive

Very true, however we can't use external usb devices in our datacentres. It's a data security thing. All usb ports are disabled on all servers, the only common hardware that is always bootable is floppy disk

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

Peteff

posted on 19/10/06 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
I'm surprised how painless the operation has been and how little it's cost, £37 delivered for the drive and two free programs that will get used again whenever I build another computer but that won't be for a while yet as the old ones are still reliable and quick enough for what we do. If I see a decent AMD socket A processor cheap enough I may be tempted to up the old one a bit more but it's not desperate.

yours, Pete

JackNco

posted on 19/10/06 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
what u got now CPU wise? and what would you like?

ill keep an eye out for you. personaly i think its better to have a slow CPU and tons of ram than havening a fast CPU and 512MB of ram

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.