Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: adding javascript to canned web page
pbura

posted on 18/10/06 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
adding javascript to canned web page

To raise cash for my Locost project (and food ), I've started a small business of making custom wooden jigsaw puzzles, and am now creating a website.

To set up the web pages, I'm using Yahoo Sitebuilder, a "dummy-proof" utility that works very well for many functions. I need to create an interactive form for customers to generate a price estimate. My service provider does not permit cgi scripts, but that's not a big problem. The form does not have to interact with any kind of database. The customer would enter the name of the picture in a text field, the size of the puzzle and the base price in other fields, then start applying options and calculate a total.

The Sitebuilder program has a tool for making forms that are javascript-based, with various form elements such as text boxes, drop-down lists, and radio buttons. However, there is no way to designate fields as being numeric and performing calculations. So, I'm looking for a workaround, namely to add javascript code to the page, using WordPad or the like.

So, here are my questions:

1. What's a good book/online source to learn how to write the code?
  2. Do you think the Sitebuilder proggie would freak out if I did my manual massaging of the page before publishing the site?

Any insights or suggestions would be most welcome!

Pete

Arthur Dent

posted on 18/10/06 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Javascript should do exactly what you need. You'll need to edit the html files with a text editor of course. Not sure on the particulars of Sitebuilder but it hopefully wouldn't bugger it up too much. If it does you can always switch to a proper hmtl editor. Javascript isn't hard to learn (but very annoying to de-bug) - borrow a book or find a website tutorial.

'The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.' Douglas Adams

pbura

posted on 18/10/06 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Ah, it's good to hear an informed opinion. :

I'm one of those people whose eye's glaze over when they hear SQL- or PHP-speak, definitely old school (first computer a Kaypro II in 1982). I was up til 5 A.M. this morning trying to figure out WTF was going on.

Thanks, Arthur, I'm off to the library!

Pete

JackNco

posted on 19/10/06 at 01:43 AM Reply With Quote
Fraid im all PHP n SQL !

I wouldn't recommend JavaScript to anyone that doest know what there doing, ive done quite a few sites and i wouldn't recommend java at all, i avoid it at all costs!

Give me a call after about 5 tmrw n ill happily give u any advice i can

John

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
JackNco

posted on 19/10/06 at 01:44 AM Reply With Quote
ok just noticed ur in the states, deafeningsilence_@hotmail.com im on MSN most of the time

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pbura

posted on 19/10/06 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the offer, John! I have learned almost enough javascript to do my dinky form, so will proceed that way for now, just to get up.

Thank God it's only one page!

Pete

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.