Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Where to mount fuel pump?
Northy

posted on 25/5/03 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Where to mount fuel pump?

Hope this is in the right place

I have a Facet red top pump and was just wondering where other people have mounted theres. Pictures would be nice

Thanks

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stu16v

posted on 25/5/03 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
As close to the petrol tank as possible.

HTHStu.

Dont just build it.....make it!

Gizmo

posted on 26/5/03 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
Graham, wot Stu said and as low as possible so it's gravity fed.

---john---

Northy

posted on 27/5/03 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys,

80+ views, 2 replies, not bad

Has no one else fitted the fuel pump yet?

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mark H

posted on 27/5/03 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Graham,

Mine is near the tank too, but i thought it could go anywhere on the system. Main advantage (I'm no expert) is space in the "boot" area.

PS I was one of those 80, and guilt led me to write!

Cheers,

Mark

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

craig1410

posted on 27/5/03 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
Mark,
The reason for putting it close to the tank is because these pumps work well at "pushing" fuel but are not so good at "pulling" it in from the tank and hence need some help from gravity. The best pumps are immersed in the tank but don't try this with one which isn't designed for it...

Try to make sure that your pump is gravity fed through as short and straight a piece of pipe as possible (within reason) and try to avoid loops and kinks which might trap air. Some pumps prefer to be in a particular orientation too so bear that in mind. Also, they often use the fuel passing through as a lubricant and coolant so don't run them dry for any length of time.

Finally, you may wish to use some sort of rubber mount to insulate the chassis from the pump since these can be quite noisy. It's not going to bother you doing 70MPH with the hood down but might whine a bit when sitting at the traffic lights. The rubber mount is also good at keeping sharp vibration and shocks from reaching the pump and thus prolong its life a bit.

HTH,
Craig.

ps. I've not fitted my pump to my Locost yet but didn't want to view the post without replying...

Northy

posted on 28/5/03 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys, much better effort. Good deed done for the day.

[Edited on 28/5/03 by Northy]

Graham

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.