Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Painting brake discs?
RazMan

posted on 19/10/06 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
Painting brake discs?

After a year of sitting in the garage (on the car) my brand new discs have now got a thin layer of surface rust on them and now look decidedly second hand Even worse, they are clearly visible through my Compomotive rims. I realise the pad area will be nice and shiny after a few presses of the brake pedal but everything else will remain rusty.
What is the best way to pretty them up a bit? Hammerite ok?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 19/10/06 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
I've used silver paint similar to hammerite on my volvo discs and kit car - so far it is still on. If you foresee getting you disc red hot, then proably no paint will survive that - maybe High temp paint would be better?
NS Dev

posted on 19/10/06 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
yep use high temp paint, black exhaust paint from halfrauds is pretty good stuff, I do all my brake bits with it, certainly unless you drive very slowly or never brake any normal paint will soon burn off the discs.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

mookaloid

posted on 19/10/06 at 08:57 AM Reply With Quote
I wire brushed the rust off then used Halfords Hi temp stuff.

Most paint will come off in due course so i regard this as something to be done once a year or so.

Cheers

Mark

[Edited on 19/10/06 by mookaloid]

RazMan

posted on 19/10/06 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys - I'll nip into Halfrauds later

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Sirius

posted on 19/10/06 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
I've had good results with Sperex VHT spray paint, comes in a few colours aswell including silver.

I got mine from the local motor factors.

C10CoryM

posted on 19/10/06 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Mask off the clamping area where the rim touches the rotor. Paint is just like dirt and can cause clamping forces to be reduced over time. Probably not an issue in this case, but may as well avoid it.

"Our watchword evermore shall be: The Maple Leaf Forever!"

RazMan

posted on 19/10/06 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by C10CoryM
Mask off the clamping area where the rim touches the rotor. Paint is just like dirt and can cause clamping forces to be reduced over time. Probably not an issue in this case, but may as well avoid it.

Good point - I had a strange wheel wobble on my Nissan which turned out to be a very thick coat of paint on the disc mating surface causing a small amount of runout. I sanded the paint off and all was well again.

Cheers,
Raz

andyps

posted on 19/10/06 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Before I fitted new discs to my road car I masked and painted them with exhaust paint from Halfords. It needed curing so I stuck them in the oven for a while to help it set, they stayed nice and rust free for two years. Didn't have the time last time and the disks have gone rusty very quickly.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.