Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Controversial...... ??
Jon Ison

posted on 20/10/06 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
Controversial...... ??

The veil amongst others things in the news at the mo........

IMHO when in Rome.........

theconrodkid

posted on 20/10/06 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
and if you went to "rome" could you order a bacon sarnie with your beer?

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Jon Ison

posted on 20/10/06 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
and if you went to "rome" could you order a bacon sarnie with your beer?

No but the week I spent in a Muslin country during Ramadan I respected there customs and wishes....

When in Rome.

lexi

posted on 20/10/06 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Is Muslin not a thing you polish paintwork with? I think you`re at it
Alex

marcjagman

posted on 20/10/06 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Exactly, you respected their traditions in their country so should they not respect ours in our country? I couldn't care less, I think it's a lot of fuss over nothing. She's probably ugly under there any way.
auzziejim

posted on 20/10/06 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
may well be contraversial but i agree, live in this country abide by our rules. like jack straw i wouldnt talk to someone wearing a veil.

alister667

posted on 20/10/06 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
When was it a rule what you can and can't wear over you face???

I must have slept through the day they passed that law!

She can wear a toilet seat over her head for all I care!! And good luck to her!

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alister667/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MkIndy7

posted on 20/10/06 at 07:41 PM Reply With Quote
From what I've seen that woman has a massive sack of spuds on her shoulder! telling the PM to "shut up" oooh how grown up, glad she isin't teaching any of my realtives with that attitude.

As for her teaching capacity, whilst wearing the veil it would be severely comprimised.

People in industry may well have noticed whilst wearing ear defenders you can understand a conversation suprisingly well,,,, but should 1 of the people have their face covered you can't understand a word!.
A very good example how important seeing the face and mouth is as to how words are spoken and pronounced.

Althought the veil is an issue it was her capacity as a teacher that was in question and the Local authority was cleared of the charges of unfair dismisal weren't they?

DIY Si

posted on 20/10/06 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
In general, I couldn't give a balls either way, but if it affects what your doing, and in this case I believe it does, then it should be removed.
As another related point, does anyone with a veil have to remove it at the Bluewater (?) Centre, just as those with hoodies do?

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

JoelP

posted on 20/10/06 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
my wifes favourite memory is being taught bangladesh in her first year at school just because it was a foreign teacher and half the class was foreign. Fuggin incompetence, let the parents teach what they want, the teachers should stick to the curriculum (sp?).

As for the veil, it is rude to wear one IMHO, we dont want to be england with a few corners of whatever, its england through and through. Plus its insulting, as it implys that men are all perverts oogling women. Ahem....

Alan B

posted on 20/10/06 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
...........it implys that men are all perverts oogling women. Ahem....

And we aren't?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
alister667

posted on 20/10/06 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
OK it's fair enough where it directly affects a job or an ability to perform a function, however I was under the impression we were talking about "when in Rome" ie, when in Britian, as opposed to specific workplace rules.

In general I have a *slight* preference to talk to a woman without a veil, however if she prefers to wear one, I'm not bothered.

Same with bras really

Confused but excited.

posted on 20/10/06 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alister667

She can wear a toilet seat over her head for all I care!! And good luck to her!

While you were asleep, British Nationals were stopped from wearing baseball caps in most pubs, banks and some shops.
If your child went to that school, wouldn't you want positive identification of any adult entering the premises never mind positive ID of teachers. Or aren't schools potential targets for perverts and terrorists?
Persinally I cannot think of anything more terrifying than finding out that some scumbag has taken my kids hostage.!

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

alister667

posted on 20/10/06 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
I think you missed the 'Hang the paedo's' bit of your speech.

Won't somebody think of the children?

David Jenkins

posted on 20/10/06 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
I just wish that there could be some flexibility on BOTH sides - she could appreciate that wearing a veil isn't appropriate when teaching children, others could appreciate that she has the right to do what she wants when it IS appropriate.

02GF74

posted on 20/10/06 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alister667

well you must have been sleeping; ther was someon in the news recentlly that was protesting by wearing a diving mask in a shopping cnetre and he was arrested.

This veil wearingting is something that has happened recently - muslims have been in this country since 50s/60s - my own opiniton is that a lot of this is just to stir up trouble. mainly b y those born in UK, then call in the religious/race card.

Some of the muslim africans do by tradition wear the full caboodle though.

[Edited on 20/10/06 by 02GF74]

DIY Si

posted on 20/10/06 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
Do Muslims get asked to remove them in pubs etc in towns? I've seen people asked to remove caps.
Is this a recent issue, ie have Mulsim woman "recently" started wearing the veil more, as they feel more able to/accepted now than in the 50/60's? I can't really remember seeing anyone wearing a veil as a kid, but see people wearing them more and more often now.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

lexi

posted on 20/10/06 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
In all honesty we are being led like little doggys into ALL these arguements by the PRESS. It`s more frustrating trying to find an Englishmen in an Arsenal shirtT
Alex

joneh

posted on 20/10/06 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
I love b3ta.com

If that doesn't work clicky

RazMan

posted on 20/10/06 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
The media is mainly to blame for most of these ott situations imo. Common sense has taken a back seat and they would rather think up sensational headlines than report on real news.
Just look at the McCartney divorce rubbish over the last couple of days - everybody speculating on hearsay and lies. Why can't they wait until the factual truth comes out?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Simon

posted on 20/10/06 at 11:16 PM Reply With Quote
I think it's rude if someone talking to me is wearing mirror shades, so I won't respond. If anyone tries with a veil, I'll have to get meself a balaclava (and mirrored shades). Human communication is done as much with mouth and with facial expression. How many misunderstandings have there been on here, because someone forgot a smilie!

Letter in the Mail today points out that the veil is not to be worn in any places with security issues, tourist areas, universities, resorts and beaches. That is Egyptian government enforcement!!!!!

ATB

Simon

alister667

posted on 21/10/06 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
Lexi and Razman I agree with whole heartedly. The tabloid media just do their level best to stir up these arguments to sell papers. A pinch of salt is the best cure.

Tell me, does anyone think it's a good thing that folks have been asked to remove baseball caps when walking around a town (apart from the obvious anti-chav sentiment)?

I've grown up through the troubles in Northern Ireland, through the 70s and 80s and no amount of baseball cap bans will help if someone really, really wants to blow somewhere up.
Dungannon was the most bombed town centre in NI and had unbelievable (and intrusive) security, still didn't help much. What you will find is that the more intrusive security measures are put in place the more of a propaganda victory you're handing the terrorists.

That said, if you did try to buy a balaclava and mirrored shades on this side of the Irish sea you'd get a lot more than offended!!

I'd warn against comparing our laws with those of Egypt. Why? Take a read of Amnesty International's Egypt Report 2005. That makes Northern Ireland's internment look like a holiday camp.

As I said, perhaps I'm too easy going, but if someone wants to wear a veil when I'm chatting to them I'm really not that bothered.

Also, just to make it clear I'm not out to offend or upset anyone, it's just growing up under a campaign of terrorism and seeing how it was brought to an end - it's pretty obvious it's through bridge building and compromise. We wound up with a convicted terrorist as our minister of education for a few years and a load of convicted nutters out on early release!!

DorsetStrider

posted on 21/10/06 at 01:11 AM Reply With Quote
Check out this thread.

Oh and in case anyone is wondering... yes I'm DorsetStrider on there too.

http://www.freedating.co.uk/engine.php?action=forum.posts&thread_id=7674

Who the f**K tightened this up!

skydivepaul

posted on 21/10/06 at 01:22 AM Reply With Quote
its all a load of media hype crap. i listened to the news on the radio on Tuesday and every single story had some muslim connection, surely to stir up some more hate. I pick up a paper and the same hype is in that on the first three or four front pages.

You have to dig hard to find the real news.

Sure there are those among us hiding, ready to blow us up when they get the chance..................what's changed?? the IRA were doing that for the last 30 odd years.

personally I think she should be sacked for gross misconduct or apologise remove the veil and get on with her job. WTF should we as taxpayers pay her wage to sit about moaning when she should be getting on with teaching...end of rant

[Edited on 21/10/06 by skydivepaul]

http://www.smartideasuk.com
http://www.smartmapping.co.uk
HD CCTV
3D design solutions and integration
IP security systems
access control systems

JackNco

posted on 21/10/06 at 01:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7
From what I've seen that woman has a massive sack of spuds on her shoulder! telling the PM to "shut up" oooh how grown up, glad she isin't teaching any of my realtives with that attitude.

As for her teaching capacity, whilst wearing the veil it would be severely comprimised.

People in industry may well have noticed whilst wearing ear defenders you can understand a conversation suprisingly well,,,, but should 1 of the people have their face covered you can't understand a word!.
A very good example how important seeing the face and mouth is as to how words are spoken and pronounced.

Althought the veil is an issue it was her capacity as a teacher that was in question and the Local authority was cleared of the charges of unfair dismisal weren't they?

She only wore the ski mask thingy in between classes and when there was a male teacher in the room........ which i personaly think is even worse, what kind of message does that send out to kids

*oh no, i wear this because i cant trust men to control themselves around me*

Or to put it another way, you try going to a mosk in a Muslim country in T-shirt n shorts n see how long u last!

John

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.