Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: engine choice
rob126

posted on 21/10/06 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
engine choice

once again the plans regarding which engine to put in my kit car have changed... plans went from a 1.6 xflow to a mazda 13b and now 2 new plans:
plan1: bike engine (hayabusa/r1)
plan2: rover v8 (3.5 or 3.9)

(plan3: still got 1.6 xflow in garage lying around)

being a street car which one would you have? i personally prefer the v8 because of the noise and for styling (having exhausts on both sides). but on the other hand no1 ever did a bike engined locost locally.. (there are only 5 kitcars)

so... would you chose a v8 over a bike engine just for those 2 reasons?

p.s. v8 is cheaper but heavier but still both in my budget.

first time building something this big!!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mandbsheldon

posted on 21/10/06 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Bike engine.
because 1. the car handles much lighter and corners much better.
2. The sequential gearbox-fantastic.
3. Better braking -without spending big money.
4. 12000rpm

The list goes on, but I'll let Hellfire have a say

Leigh

JoelP

posted on 21/10/06 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rob126

does that include two exhausts and everything needed to get it running?

If you want a more relaxing drive pick the v8. Im not implying theyre slow, maybe even quicker than a BEC, but its very hard to drive the bec slowly. The revs and the gearbox conspire against your license. Ideal for track use and lunatic road driving, but if you intend to take the kids and wife out, id pick a v8 all day long.

RazMan

posted on 21/10/06 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
I don't see how you can choose between those options - far too diverse. It really depends what you want out of the car - track day screamer or daily driver?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rob126

posted on 21/10/06 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JoelP
quote:
Originally posted by rob126

does that include two exhausts and everything needed to get it running?

If you want a more relaxing drive pick the v8. Im not implying theyre slow, maybe even quicker than a BEC, but its very hard to drive the bec slowly. The revs and the gearbox conspire against your license. Ideal for track use and lunatic road driving, but if you intend to take the kids and wife out, id pick a v8 all day long.

yes that includes everything. since i would need to import the bike engine... cheapest i found was approx 2500 notes!!

rob126

posted on 21/10/06 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
cannot do track days def. since the only 4 tracks we have in malta are:
1. 1/4 mile
2. dirt track (destruction and that stuff)
3. 2 karting tracks.

so track days are out of the question.

sammy

posted on 21/10/06 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
I was originally going to go bike engine but changed my mind and have started doing a build with a rover v8. I want it more for the road than the track, and think a revvy bike engine would probably encourage me drive like a loony (like I sometimes do when I'm on my bike!)

I've always wanted a V8 sports car, love the noise and want that low down power that pulls from nothing. I ride/race motorbikes all the time so I already get the buzz from bike engines in my bikes!

However, I am still at the frame building stage and there are a lot of problems getting the rover to fit in. I am building a +4 inch wide chassis, and the although the engine itself just about fits in ok, the large bellhousing means things are very tight in the footwells even on a +4 chassis!

This is my first build, and although I'll be made up when it's finished, at the moment I wish I'd gone for a decent bike engine. The SD1 carbs need replacing, and by the time I've added up the cost of all the engine/gearbox bits I could have got a fairly new R1 motor instead.

Still, I'll plod on because I cant wait to hear the v8 rumble (if I ever get that far!).

Build diaries...

Danozeman

posted on 21/10/06 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
V8 definatley if ur not planning track days. The noise alone would swing me.

I love V8's and i love bike engines but personally i think bike engines are for bikes.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

rob126

posted on 21/10/06 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
good to know that i have to plan 4" more. thats a bit of a f**k-up but.. the nose cone then must be made to fit. there aren't any ready with that size, i assume!

DIY Si

posted on 21/10/06 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
If you want a nice evening cruiser type car then get a V8. If, like me, Hellfire and others, you wish to drive like a loon (and it's very very hard not to in a bec) then get a bike engine. Becs are generally quicker due to a lower weight and possibly having power curves more suited to a light weight (race) car. The sequentail box is a fantastic extra and changing at 12,000 is a right laugh, but I'm still amazed I've not got any points yet. Having said all that, my next project is a big V8 powered canam/lmp, which I should be able to use a little more as an "everyday" car.
Oh, if you can find a local bike engine, they can be much cheaper than you think. IIRC, JoelP has his fitted and a spare at roughly £450 for each engine.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

JUD

posted on 21/10/06 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman

I love V8's and i love bike engines but personally i think bike engines are for bikes.

Oooooo - thats gonna get a reaction... stand back.

M

Johnmor

posted on 21/10/06 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Engien choice

If theres no track, and even if there was I would go V8 or V6.
Huge torque lots of power and fantastic noise.

And you have a reverse gear for parking, save the red face when you have to push the car away fromthe kerb!!

And of course , down the line you can easily get 250-300HP and still drive slowly when you want.

DIY Si

posted on 21/10/06 at 10:51 AM Reply With Quote
Also, if using the +4 McSorley plans, I think the front end is the same size as standard. If not, I thought GTS made a +4 nose cone these days? If not GTS, I seem to remeber someone making one.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

NS Dev

posted on 21/10/06 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
I'd go for the 13B rotary myself!!!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

mookaloid

posted on 21/10/06 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
If you have no tracks you cannot possibly use the car to it's full abilities anywhere on the roads even with the 1600 crossflow.

So it's really a question of how much overkill do you want?

cheers

Mark

rob126

posted on 21/10/06 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
Also, if using the +4 McSorley plans, I think the front end is the same size as standard. If not, I thought GTS made a +4 nose cone these days? If not GTS, I seem to remeber someone making one.

u got their website? couldn't find it
cheers

tweek

posted on 21/10/06 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
how about something from VAG, tiger sportscars have started producing a Type 9 bellhousing for them - www.bellhousings.eu

Not necessarily the cheapest option, but theres a wide range, the 1.8T give 150 - 225 stock and can be easily tuned to closer to 300, then theres the 4.2L V8.

Something to consider anyway.

cheers

"oh dear..." said god,
"I hadn't thought of that"
and promptly vanishes in a puff of logic

Hellfire

posted on 21/10/06 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Bike engine everytime, even if you have no tracks. BEC's can be driven sedately, it's all down to your right foot I've just come back from a ride out with my young daughter who told me in no uncertain terms was I to go above number 4 (x1,000 rpm) and we had a very leisurely ride out. I agree that bike engines are good in bikes, trouble is, they don't go round corners anywhere near as quick as BEC's and therefore they're twice as much fun in a seven. I feel far safer in a bright coloured car than I ever did on a motorbike.

Six speed sequential gearbox, 0-60 at the bat of an eyelid (if you so wish), 12,000rpm and a soundtrack to die for..................... no contest. BEC wins everytime.

Phil

[Edited on 21-10-06 by Hellfire]

JUD

posted on 21/10/06 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire

Six speed sequential gearbox, 0-60 at the bat of an eyelid (if you so wish), 12,000rpm and a soundtrack to die for..................... no contest.

Eloquently put - completely agree

Hellfire

posted on 21/10/06 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JUD
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire

Six speed sequential gearbox, 0-60 at the bat of an eyelid (if you so wish), 12,000rpm and a soundtrack to die for..................... no contest. BEC wins everytime.

Eloquently put - completely agree

Thankyou

Ivan

posted on 21/10/06 at 04:39 PM Reply With Quote
I know this doesn't answere your question directly but I have been thinking seriously about a 1900 cc Volvo T4 turbo motor - light weight, cheap as chips second hand, easy to fit, tons of torque and easy to extract 250 hp from.

jimmyjoebob

posted on 21/10/06 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
I disagree that bec 7s are better for their sound track.

Bike engines, like modern f1 engines, sound crap compared to big capacity car engines.

How is that for bait?

If at first you don't succeed, hide all evidence you ever tried!

ch1ll1

posted on 21/10/06 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
well in i the middle of building my next car
was going for a zetec
but went out this afternoon in my bec and the sound track i heard has made me think twice now !
picture it, a sleepy Saturday afternoon,
10,000 revs going through my sleep village ( well its nearly winter and this place shuts down !)
and you here the noise of a bec coming of the walls and doors,
you just carnt beat it !

in fact i went to pick up some seats today
and heard a 12,000 rpm sound track, went past its was a 7 ( in green) ( maldon way ! )
what a sexy noise that is !
so bec all day for me
but what about my new build ?

got the zetec now but am i wasting my time with it !!

[Edited on 21/10/06 by ch1ll1]

Johnmor

posted on 21/10/06 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Sond track.

Got to say, I wouldnt swap my sound track for a 4 cylinder , bike or othewise.

A V8 may sound pretty good though.

All in all its down to personnel choice, but its nice to know i can pull away in fourth and it just keeps on going.

JoelP

posted on 21/10/06 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Johnmor
but its nice to know i can pull away in fourth and it just keeps on going.

i managed to set off in 3rd with my zx9 locost when the gear shifter broke Admittedly it did smoke somewhat!

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.