Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Warner R4 Build Diary
cloudy

posted on 13/1/07 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
OK, two possible solutions - after some feedback from you guys...

iank

posted on 13/1/07 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'd vote for the second option. Looks less fussy to my eye, and can't obscure vision to the mirror (might just be the angle it's rendered) or the front wheel (nice to see exactly where you are putting it.
Mansfield

posted on 13/1/07 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Second option me definately. I laid out the basics of a midi design in CAD and came up against all the same problems as you. I had to get rid of the files as it was driving me mad. I really admire the work you have done so far.

I can't photoshop it but I quite like removing the top rail as your second picture, replacing it with the bracing as you have from the scuttle back down to the mid (or new top rail) AND similar bracing from the rear down to the mid (or new top rail) at around a 45deg angle. To me it looks better with the extra triangle.

I quit the idea of making my own middy because it took me a year to decide between a +4 and a +442 Locost and I realised I would never build a thing at my rate of descision making.

I am following your progress (and JC's) with immense interest, I wish I had the bottle to go for it as you have. I think your car is fantastic.

cloudy

posted on 13/1/07 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
thanks both of you

I prefer different soluctions depending on the angle viewed, I'll play around with a few more ideas.

Mansfied, i'll give your idea a spin later, just have to avoid introducing the problem again, as anything there is instantly close to the head

James

Dick Bear

posted on 14/1/07 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
James,

I haven't kept up with your thread in a while but did my usual backwards reading of it today. It is great to see the progress and the suggestions at each stage in your design process. Brings the best out in everyone! The result so far is a great looking and a promising solution to an original build... keep it goin'!

I wish you had picked up the moon rover just once so we could see its' camparable size. Pushing the barrel up the hill was the only time that a perspective of size could be judged.

I'm sending the clip to my son in California who is an active DP (Director od Photography), thought perhaps he would be interested in its use in filming from angles and environments not suitable for current rails, slides or other contraptions.

Now if you can only make the little monster clean up the junk in your yard.... you'd really have something!
Kidding, of course!

Dick Bear

www.marketpointproductions.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cloudy

posted on 14/1/07 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
I'm baffled by your last 3 paragraphs?

James

Dick Bear

posted on 14/1/07 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
I'ms sorry James that was a bit of a curve ball but wasn't meant to be.

I was refering to the link you posted on page 5 of this thread and the video of the RC car. That's what i get for reading things backwords. The first intallments are thought of as the most recent and sometimes I forget that what is news to me is old news to those who do things more conventionally.

http://www.digital-car.co.uk/video/trials.wmv

I hope this makes sense to you now.

Dick Bear

www.marketpointproductions.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
cloudy

posted on 14/1/07 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
ah right with you now. It was way too big and heavy for the usages I require - so it's currently being scaled down. Going back to tracked drive to allow it to use stairs...
tadltd

posted on 15/1/07 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Put the tank behind the seats, there's plenty of space (so it could be bigger), it's safer, AND it improves weight distribution.

quote:
Originally posted by cloudy

as regards the tank, it fits well where it is, and would be great for a logo, (see latest renders) - any comments on whether this is safe 'enough'

[Edited on 23/12/06 by cloudy]

[Edited on 15/1/07 by tadltd]

Best Regards,

Steve.
www.turnerautosport.com

akumabito

posted on 15/1/07 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Designwise I prefer the first option, although as other have pointed out, the second option is much more practical.
rav

posted on 16/1/07 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
Love it!
Really fresh concept, that front end looks spot on IMO and I think using panels here and there as needed rather than hiding everything in a jelly mould is a very good idea.

I'm a beliver in form follows function so I tried extending the tubes in the second render so they run right back to the roll hoop, which should make the chassis stiffer and probably a bit stronger.
Also added another diagonal bracing the roll hoop. Is it a bit too functional??

Fuel tank in the space behind the seats seems logical to me too - keeps it low and central, and in the part of the car which is best protected in a crash - at lleast you'd hope so if you're going to be strapped in there!

Someone mentioned fitting exhausts in. If space is a problem, they could be run forwards between the seats in a very narrow 'tunnel', which needn't be structural - just folded ali sheet for example. Then exit at the front somewhere, may help with fitting in silencers as well. Its worked pretty well that way on my middy project - see pics.
Not sure how that would work if you had tank behind the seats as well though.

Anyway, just some ideas to add to the pot, keep up the good work! Rescued attachment middy car.jpg
Rescued attachment middy car.jpg

cloudy

posted on 16/1/07 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
I quite like the straight tubes actually, they echo the tube below nicely, I also like the extra bracing on the roll hoop.

have actually welded the roll hoop to the chassis at the weekend, but found despite many measurements sitting in the car - I just dont feel it's high enough to be safe without having a very laid back driving position. Trouble is as soon as I put even just the 8cm rise I calculate will make it safe, it destroys the proportions entirely

I will produce some more updated renders with the revised roll hoop tonight, you guys are always great for fresh idea's

James

cloudy

posted on 16/1/07 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
OK easier to just photoshop the change on, here's it with the revised height. Those rear braces certainly help to avoid it looking like an after thought towering above the chassis.

But it still look a lot less sleek than I'd hoped for. Obviously this is a fixed measurement - any ideas where i might be able to rescale to reduce the apparent height?

James

[Edited on 16/1/07 by cloudy]

[Edited on 16/1/07 by cloudy]

akumabito

posted on 16/1/07 at 01:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hmmm, the high-hoop is definitely less sexy looking, but safety is more important than looks, I guess.

I still like this look best though, it gives a really nice look to the car:

Perhaps you cold try something like that again? With the higher rollbar you just might have enough headroom..

I guess that would make it more similar to this:

Idunno... it may make things easier if you'd ever decide to fit weather gear

cloudy

posted on 16/1/07 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
truth is none of these designs appeal to me like the original one with the complete curves did - it's just starting to look boxy like the first one did again. Might revert to this design and try and again find a solution to the head + visibility problem...

James

sgraber

posted on 16/1/07 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
truth is none of these designs appeal to me like the original one with the complete curves did - it's just starting to look boxy like the first one did again. Might revert to this design and try and again find a solution to the head + visibility problem...

James

[Edited on 1/16/07 by sgraber]

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

cloudy

posted on 16/1/07 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
I hear's you still cannot see any traffic to the left or right though
sgraber

posted on 16/1/07 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
I hear's you still cannot see any traffic to the left or right though

You're right. Visibility in many directions is a huuge issue with your best looking design, even if you can solve the head against the steel tube problem the visibility problem will not go away...

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

Doug68

posted on 17/1/07 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
I feel your pain.
Go back to the beginning keep what you liked ditch the rest and keep going until you get something that works.

And remember whatever you make will be better looking than the thing below Rescued attachment pontiac_aztek_2001_01_b.jpg
Rescued attachment pontiac_aztek_2001_01_b.jpg

gttman

posted on 17/1/07 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
have actually welded the roll hoop to the chassis at the weekend, but found despite many measurements sitting in the car - I just dont feel it's high enough to be safe without having a very laid back driving position. Trouble is as soon as I put even just the 8cm rise I calculate will make it safe, it destroys the proportions entirely

I will produce some more updated renders with the revised roll hoop tonight, you guys are always great for fresh idea's

James

I went through the same thing on the GTT and ended up raising it around 80mm higher than I planned as safety overuled looks.

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

cloudy

posted on 17/1/07 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
looks like that's the magic measurement then!

James

gottabedone

posted on 20/1/07 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Cool Design

James,
your original design is cool but the progressive edits are moving further from what you wanted and closer to many designs that have already been used - Atom etc. etc.
Keeping the reclined seating, are you able to scale up the design slightly and raise the offending top rail and incorporate it as a roof line? Maybe use gullwing doors or Nova styled front hinged roof. You could then keep the original proportions.

regards

Steve

cloudy

posted on 17/2/07 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Working long hours at the moment, so not much progress - but I finally got the correct fuel parts, so I gave the engine a good thrashing. Gives me some inspiration to keep going!

cloudy

posted on 21/2/07 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
With some inspiration I saw on MK engineerings site for a roll bar, I think i've cracked the issue with making a roll bar that's tall enough for safety that also doesn't make it look overly tall

I see you've been working your magic again in the MEV thread Fuoriserie - feel free to experiment on mine too!

Thoughts?

Oh and also - I know you all like videos here's that engine run up from last weekend. Don't worry the engine was up to temp and I was just checking the rev limiter...
http://www.digital-car.co.uk/wr4/r4_engine.wmv

gttman

posted on 21/2/07 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
it certainly ticks the boxs for me

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

<<  2    3    4    5    6    7    8  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.