Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: High Performance Coatings
sweston

posted on 28/5/03 at 04:40 AM Reply With Quote
High Performance Coatings

Any one experiance with the following ? Do you have it in the UK ?

http://www.hpcoatings.com/

timf

posted on 28/5/03 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
i used something like this on an exhaust manifold for a subaru imprezza.

they do reduce the heat in the bonnet area but de aware that heat has to go somewhere in my case it melted the underbody coating where the stuff ended. in the case of a locost if it's only on the manifold then the silencer will get bloody hot and burn your / your passengers legs.

Jon Bradbury

posted on 30/5/03 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
How about...

I considered something like this and realised the problem with the heat going to the silencer... not nice. Plus, the manifold would get very, very hot inside its covering, maybe cherry red?

I thought that it might be in order to fit a sort of cowl around the exhaust manifold (under the bonnet) with an inlet / outlet so that in motion air from outside the engine bay would pass the manifold, thus cooling it.

Bit pie in the sky, perhaps, but...

ned

posted on 30/5/03 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
I presume that exhaust wrap does the same job as this coating!?! don't know if there are advantages between the two though....

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
timf

posted on 30/5/03 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
the wrap does the same thing but tends to finish just inside the engine bay which means all the heat is 'dumped' where the xorst comes thru the body work. ok if you have unpainted ali sides, painted will tend to blister, grp has in some cases caught alight.

also some of the wraps are covered with a stuff which hardens and if the wrap is not tightly wrapped will breakdown and start to rattle about. yes you can hear it over the noise of the engine.

ned

posted on 30/5/03 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
timf,

presumably you could just continue the wrap outside the engine bay if so desired, though granted it might not have the preffered aesthetic affect!!

Ned.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
timf

posted on 30/5/03 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
as you said it looks poo added to that mr sva won't like the band clamp used to fix the end
ned

posted on 30/5/03 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to go on, but you could use some self adhesive exhaust paste could you not? (like the stuff used to fix holes oin exhausts?)

Though I wouldn't do it, just being hypothetical.

Ned.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.