Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What 'basic' software do you use?
Jasper

posted on 28/10/06 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
What 'basic' software do you use?

So I'm gonna be building my new PC next week. I want good protection from nasties. Here's the list of what I intend to install:

Adaware Pro
AVG free
Peer Guardian - so they can't see me

I'm going through a router so presumableably will be firewalled behind that as well.

Anything else I should be using or doing?

Catpuss

posted on 28/10/06 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
I've used the following where other s/w has failed to stop virus attacks:

Computer Associates Anti Virus (use the windows security advisor to go the to site and you get 12 months free).

MS Defender as its free.

Don't know about peer to peer protection. MS Firewall will stop the PC presenting itself on the net.

If you want IE go IE7 its got a few nice extra features.

Other than that what you are doing will more than suffice.

Russ-Turner

posted on 28/10/06 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
What's Peer Guardian when it's at home?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Confused but excited.

posted on 28/10/06 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Originally I had;
Adaware
Pop-Up Cop
Norton Internet Security.

Still got spy ware and the odd virus.

Norton is crap!
After installing their Internet security, I took their test ont' web. It told me that I had no security against attack and recommended their software. When I e-mailed them to query this I got no reply.

Now I have Symantec Corporate Client installed (compliments of a friend in the IT industry). It's brilliant, nothing gets past it. Not had a problem since. Even when the bride logs on to game sites .

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

mangogrooveworkshop

posted on 28/10/06 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
Just ditch all that MS C**P and get Linux, UBANTU is the easy one to go with......
never looked back and if you have a windows program you cant do with out you run it under WINE. NO NASTIES AND DONT NEED A HEAP OF STRAPONS TO MAKE IT WORK.
PRICE OPEN SOURCE FREE

David Jenkins

posted on 28/10/06 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
Yep - with linux the only security risk is hacking, and that's quite hard to do if you're behind a router.

Viruses are not impossible, but any virus writer is going to have to write something aimed at a specific operating system (Ubuntu, Mandriva, etc) so it's not too likely while Microsnot is such an easy target)

David

JackNco

posted on 28/10/06 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
Zone alarm is the only security i use www.zonelabs.com free for home use. all i ever use n i very rarely get viruses

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
BKLOCO

posted on 28/10/06 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
If you are serious about security then go HERE and read the information on this site.
It shows Windoze up for what a bag of "leaky" shite it is.
It contains some useful utils for shutting your system Ducks ass like....

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

Peteff

posted on 28/10/06 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Get Open Office while you're downloading stuff. It's a good alternative to Word and it's free. AVG and Adaware/Spybot to keep the spammers at bay as well.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

chockymonster

posted on 28/10/06 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BKLOCO
If you are serious about security then go HERE and read the information on this site.
It shows Windoze up for what a bag of "leaky" shite it is.
It contains some useful utils for shutting your system Ducks ass like....

[rant]No, it shows that steve gibson is a neurotic trumpet blower that doesn't actually have a clue what he is doing.
A lot of the free software he has written is scareware. The so called security expert has never shown his head on any security forum apart from his own money making one.

Check out http://www.grcsucks.com/ for a real expert view on Mr Gibson
[/rant]

Back to the subject, I use XP as a client and Network Associates VirusScan.
I don't use an anti spyware thing and don't rely on a software firewall and my pc is always up to date with patches.
I've never had spyware and never had a virus, be sensible and things just don't get you.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

Peteff

posted on 28/10/06 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
UBANTU is the easy one to go with

UBUNTU is a doddle as is Mepis and they both install easily and detect your hardware quite well but they are a big jump if you are running windows and will need a lot of work to run as an entertainment centre type PC which is what I think Jasper is aiming for.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

givemethebighammer

posted on 28/10/06 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
You can turn off half the windows XP operating system with no ill effects. Disabling everything except TCP/IP on the network interface, disabling all unnecessary services and installing a hardware firewall will give you a secure machine (and probably a faster one too). Add and keep updated as good anti virus package such as AVG, ditch internet explorer and outlook express for firefox and thunderbird; and you're pretty much there. For the really paranoid add a software firewall too such as Kerio (but you do have to know when to click yes allow ... application to connect to... etc) Rescued attachment secure XP network interface.JPG
Rescued attachment secure XP network interface.JPG

givemethebighammer

posted on 28/10/06 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
more info
joneh

posted on 28/10/06 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
I use a great bit of software called Linux. Prevents all virus's, doesn't need defragging and best of all its free!

givemethebighammer

posted on 28/10/06 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joneh
I use a great bit of software called Linux. Prevents all virus's, doesn't need defragging and best of all its free!

So do I, but I have to use Windows on various machines due to stuff to do with work. What I am trying to say is you can make Windows much more secure and not loose much functionality. Oh, and their are Linux viruses out their just not as many as ones designed for Windows. All round Linux is a great environment (and free to boot), but any computer system is only as secure as the way it was setup and the software that has been installed on it. You can still get a root kit into a Linux bot the same as you can a Windows one. Unless you are compiling all the software you install on your linux box, how can you be sure what you are getting (open source = easily tampered with and redistributed). In the same way that if you installed anything on a Windows box without knowing it's origin you are taking a risk.

The face of IT security has changed over the last few years. Getting hacked or infected with a computer virus used to mean inconvenience and perhaps lost or corrupt data. Now it often means you get you identity stolen and lose the contents of your bank account.

I don't want to turn this thread into a Linux v's Windows argument (I work in the IT industry and have to put up with that all the time). The only way to remain fully secure is to learn more about the systems you run so you know when something isn't right.

So chose the operating system that suits your needs, make sure you secure it properly and control what you install on it.

</seminar over>

Jasper

posted on 29/10/06 at 08:49 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps, very useful....
donut

posted on 29/10/06 at 09:46 AM Reply With Quote
WINPATROL

Askes before letting any program install itself.

Or how about a MAC?

[Edited on 29/10/06 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

David Jenkins

posted on 29/10/06 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
Linux v. Windoze

Although I am a dedicated Linux user (Ubuntu and Mandriva) I have to concede that it can be a total PITA when things go wrong! A whole new core knowledge is required...
...it's not a beginner's system, as some people would claim, although Ubuntu gets close.

David

[Edited on 29/10/06 by David Jenkins]

Jasper

posted on 30/10/06 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by givemethebighammer
more info

Re: stopping various XP services

That's really useful, cheers - Am I right in saying you deselect these in msconfig? It says here there is a setting for 'manual' and 'automatic', but I can't find these in Services.

[Edited on 30/10/06 by Jasper]

givemethebighammer

posted on 30/10/06 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
find the services icon in the control panel > administrative tools or start > run > then type services.msc.

You'll then get a list of all the services, double click on on and you'll see wher you can set the startup type (automatic / manual / disabled)

BKLOCO

posted on 31/10/06 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote

[rant]No, it shows that steve gibson is a neurotic trumpet blower that doesn't actually have a clue what he is doing.
A lot of the free software he has written is scareware. The so called security expert has never shown his head on any security forum apart from his own money making one.

Check out http://www.grcsucks.com/ for a real expert view on Mr Gibson
[/rant]

All IN YOUR HUMBLE OPINION of course.

I personally think that the contributors of grcsucks.com are a bunch of egotistical twats.... or worse
But then were all entitled to our opinions arn't we?

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.