Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fooking pinto zorts studs. I'm gonna bin it in a mo
Catpuss

posted on 28/10/06 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
Fooking pinto zorts studs. I'm gonna bin it in a mo

Well tried welding a blob on. Can not do it for the life of me. It just keeps putting blobs around the stud rather than on it.

Tried drilling and bit driver. Got a nice line hole to whacked in a bit good and true. THe sod then bent. Tired a torx. That then sodding sheared off inside.

I'm running out of drill bits now. Fooking engine is making me angry. I may just take the rocker box and shortened sump off and scrap the engine I'm that fed up with it.

I've managed to extract all the other studs at least.

I am probably going to just drill out the whole stud & try and re tap the head. Failing that I may either drill a new hole and tap that for the stuff (providing it doesn't screw the head up).

To round that off I noticed oil around the other side of the head gasket and as a final insult to injury my fooking Xbox 360 gave me 3 red lights last night

nitram38

posted on 28/10/06 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
If you can, take it to someone who can Tig weld. They will have more control over the welder!
I don't recommend drilling it out unless you have done this before. It can cause worse problems!!! (as you have found out).
Last resort is spark erosion....look it up!

[Edited on 28/10/2006 by nitram38]

Catpuss

posted on 28/10/06 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
There isn't anyone round locally that can do it.

I've drilled out broken studs before but usually steel studs in to ally rather than in to cast iron. These seem to come out much easier as the bit of heat expands the ally.

I'm gonna get some new dremmel bits tomorrow and drill a few small holes. This is what I did last time and I was able to collapse the stud from the inside.

The other option is to take the head off.

nitram38

posted on 28/10/06 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
Good luck!!!!!!
lexi

posted on 28/10/06 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried putting a nut right over where the stud should be and fire the mig wire through the nut and back into thread of nut till filled up. Socket on that and it usually comes out.
Alex

David Jenkins

posted on 28/10/06 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
In the worst case, ask if someone can do spark erosion - it'll cost a few quid, but it's one of those jobs that can be set up and left for a few hours, so not too expensive.

The device erodes the core of the stud, so you can pick out the remaining threads.

David

rusty nuts

posted on 28/10/06 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Weld a nut on, the heat from welding and being able to use a spanner on the nut will help shift the stud. If it breaks off weld on another. If you need to drill it out invest in some cobolt drill bits, expensive but worth every penny!
Catpuss

posted on 28/10/06 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lexi
Have you tried putting a nut right over where the stud should be and fire the mig wire through the nut and back into thread of nut till filled up. Socket on that and it usually comes out.
Alex

I'll give it a try. Just got to work out how to keep the nut in place during the welding. I don't think holding it is going to work too well

Catpuss

posted on 29/10/06 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Ah bleep it

The bottom section of the head just below the zorst stud just cracked off. Its the bit below cylinder 2, i.e. not supported by the block.

I've fookin had enough of this engine. I may well bin it and keep the chopped sump and rocker box.

Catpuss

posted on 29/10/06 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
Would you belive it. I managed to extract the stud with my leather working awl. Soddin typical.

Unfortunatly the head bolt behind is a tad worried now and needs replacing and there is no way that hole can ever be used for a stud again.

New head methinks.

NS Dev

posted on 30/10/06 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
bit late now but there are people local to you on here with TIG facilities.........me for one!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.