Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEEN RIPPED OFF HELP NEEDED
Krismc

posted on 5/11/06 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
BEEN RIPPED OFF HELP NEEDED

Went to pick my new audi up today, and girlfriends car was the trade in.

but found out its been a CAT C right off, we didnt know!!!!!!!

its a 54 plate ford Sport ka and in mint condition- and has been repaired by a professional and i couldnt tell.

we have owned it 8 months and we think the guy before us must have repaired it and not told us, police want nothing to do with it.

guy bought it 7 days after it had been written off, how do we find out if he repaired it and didnt tell us or the person before did and didnt tell him!!????

What do i do???
The car was worth (£6400) or £5800 px now ive been offered £2k for it

[Edited on 5/11/06 by Krismc]

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Krismc

posted on 5/11/06 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
original owner bought 12/05, its was CAT C 24/10/05 and he bought it 31/10/05

I bought it june 05.

dont know if he def bought it and done it up up he bought it in good faith same as me, but he only got it 7 days after the right off and the new plate on front of car is from same area he lives- which points the blame. as the original owner lives 100 miles away.

What do i do?? go see him or send a solicitors letter? or neiher im fucked??

police cant deal with it ive already rang them.

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

Ian Pearson

posted on 5/11/06 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
The Log book should state that it's been written off at some point. My Passat was a Cat C (I think) write off, and it mentioned it on the log book. When I changed addresses, I had to have a VIC on the car, to prove it was not ringed. I would've thought that the same would've applied to your new ownership?

Regards, Ian.

Danozeman

posted on 5/11/06 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
TBH sounds like your stuck with it. Especially this far on from when u bought it.

The dishonest way would be just to sell it on private and hope they dont have an HPI done on it.

AS Ian said they are recorded and usually say on the V5 that its been done.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

ch1ll1

posted on 5/11/06 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
i bought a cat c toyota power van 2 months ago,

the log book came back clean as a whistle

bought a cat c rover cab 2 years ago, spent 3 months trying to get the log book, log book came through then a week later another log book came through for it !
bought a few cat c's some state writen off ( insurance) some dont

JackNco

posted on 5/11/06 at 02:31 PM Reply With Quote
Excuse my ignorance but what to the different categories of write off mean?

John

Some people are worried about the difference between right and wrong. I'm worried about the difference between wrong and fun.
O'Rourke, P.J. (1989), Holidays in hell. London (Picador)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Jon Ison

posted on 5/11/06 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
The guy you bought it off, private ? Trade ? is he selling cars on the side ? Can you go see if he as anything for sale at the mo ? Trading standards & tax man may be interested if he's repairing/selling on the side, maybe you could remind him of this ?

Well worth signing up on pistonheads.com & posting in the legal section, you will get the correct advice on there for sure.

Good look, someone as tried too put one over on you, IMHO anyways.

Krismc

posted on 5/11/06 at 03:50 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for all the replys guys,

I did a direct gov check before buying it it came clear!(powered by DVLA) -- got it here thought that would have flagged sumthing up like that!!!

i asked him if it had been in any crashes, he said no and said he had bought it off a girl who could afford the repayments anymore- and he had done no repairs she had it serviced at 6k i bought it at 9 k and now it has 11k he bought it 7 days after it was written off i just need to know how to find out if he has bought it straight or bent????

auzziejim

posted on 5/11/06 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
just sell the car privately, if they ask you are by law supposed to tell them if not then keep quiet

at the end of the day what is the problem with the car being written off? if its repaired well (you said you couldnt tell) it has no reason to be an issue

john_p_b

posted on 5/11/06 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
for him to buy it 7 days after it was declared cat c i'd say he's bought it salvage, repaired it then sold it on? i can't see any body repair shop managing to get a car repaired, back out and then someone selling it all in the space of 7 days!

if you asked the question at the time you bought it and he said it was clean then surely there's some come back on the guy.

built a car, built a home, had a family. lost the family, lost the home, still got the car.

Jon Ison

posted on 5/11/06 at 04:02 PM Reply With Quote
Ask Here

The guys bent.

the_fbi

posted on 5/11/06 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Its always possible the place selling you the Audi are dodgy and the car isn't a Cat C at all, they are just trying to get more money out of you!

Check the xx00xxx on the end of this URL to your Ka's reg.

https://www.freevehiclecheck.co.uk/fvcresults.aspx?Registration=xx00xxx

It won't give you the reason why, but if it comes up with a "STOP" in the "Vehicle Total Loss Claim" section then you can be sure there's some history on it.

[Edited on 5/11/06 by the_fbi]

coozer

posted on 5/11/06 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
I bought my much loved Rover at a salvage auction, it was a cat C right off. The V5 didn't show that. T
The only way to know is either a HPI check or a keen eye for the repair...

Lessons learnt??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Peteff

posted on 5/11/06 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
I used to buy them, repair and run them for a few years, then get rid but I always sold them cheap and told the buyer what they were getting. I never had a logbook with anything about them being written off but the police round here do usually come and visit you when you register them in your name to check if you know their history and to make sure they are legit.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

thunderace

posted on 5/11/06 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.usedcarroadshow.co.uk/
car cheaker £3 worth evrey penny .

DEAN C.

posted on 5/11/06 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,it usually takes a couple of months for swansea to register the write off, thats why it would not have shown up so soon after the accident.
I used to have a breakers licence and bought over 400 vehicles over a two year span.
I was always under the impression that if you sold a repaired vehicle you had to tell the buyer it was damaged,but the second owner didn't.
I usually sold any repairable cars to trade or lads repairing on the the side or for themselves,that way they bought in damaged condition to do their own repairs. I always felt uneasy about repairing and selling cars, so I just put £100 or £200 on top and sold for buyers to repair.
I think the bloke that you bought from was selling it illegaly, but getting something done about is practically hopeless unless you have some handy mates that dont mind ruffling a few feathers.
Police are a waste of time and will point blank refuse to get involved,try dodging a speeding ticket though and you'll never get rid of them.

Once I've finished a project why do I start another?

Howlor

posted on 5/11/06 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think you have any comeback unless it was either trade or you can claim from the vehicle check company. I do know that HPI give you a guarantee.

Now you know that it was damaged can you tell? It could have been flood damaged as they virtually always go on a cat C but you can't see any damage.

All you can do is ensure you HPI check everything in the future as it is so easy to get caught out. My brother in law works for a prestige garage in Harrogate and even they get stung nowand again even with HPI check but normally they are cloned.

Steve

owelly

posted on 5/11/06 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
Are you totally sure it's not a ringer? Could he have bought the smashed car and swapped the docs to a stolen one?
HAve you checked for the usual chassis number tampering?

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Krismc

posted on 6/11/06 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
had a check looks ok, but it still has original front wings on (machine spot welded) not bolted and has a new front plate which i found was issued around the time, im confused now.

Krismc

posted on 6/11/06 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
cheers for that link who ever sent it.........

just tried....

Vehicle Details:
Vehicle Registration Number: DN54PHK
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: KA SPORT SE

Vehicle Stolen:
We Currently Hold No Adverse History On This Vehicle

Vehicle Insurance Theft:
We Currently Hold No Adverse History On This Vehicle

Vehicle Total Loss Claim: STOP the vehicle you have checked has adverse history

Aboardman

posted on 6/11/06 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
that free online reg check says a lot of not know registrations including the focus i drive and also says the mini i am restoring has history even though i checked with the text checker.
the_fbi

posted on 6/11/06 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aboardman
that free online reg check says a lot of not know registrations including the focus i drive and also says the mini i am restoring has history even though i checked with the text checker.

Are you saying the focus you drive does have history and the website isn't showing it?

Aboardman

posted on 6/11/06 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
no the web site says no history held for the registration of my focus.
the_fbi

posted on 6/11/06 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aboardman
no the web site says no history held for the registration of my focus.

Thats a good thing

Hellfire

posted on 6/11/06 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
As far as I am aware, there are no internet websites that will give you a FREE HPI check. I would therefore be sceptical of any information I found about a vehicle through one of these free checker things. If I were you, I'd pay for a proper HPI check to be carried out before deciding what to do next.

Phil

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.