Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: viento sva fail
Johnny T

posted on 8/11/06 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
viento sva fail

Hi, Viento V8 failed SVA yesterday on 3 points: 1, engine number, we had a V8 built by some one else who put there own number on, and for the emmissions they need to age the engine which is basically 1980 SD1 but beacause there's no number they can relate to give it a cat test which it failed! We are having to change the engine so we have an old engine no.
2, front suspension, the alloy top ball joint holder that is clamped in the hub requires some other bracket to stop it from coming out, as other than the clamp has nothing else holding it in, where the sierra had a lug on the bottom of the strut which went through the pinch bolt.
3, Dash, I did know about this one but forgot, bottom of dash did not put big enough protector (1.9mm ), also the strengthening bar further under the dash also needs some padding or protection from knees.
Otherwise everything else was spot on.
This was at Beverley VOSA.
So take note.
John.

Simon

posted on 8/11/06 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Not a bad fail, can only suggest as follows:

1. Find out who rebuilt and get them to confirm orig engine number. Highly unlikely I reckon!

2. Nonsense - I haven't got anything holding mine in - apart from the clamping of the upright. A friends daughter wrecked her car yesterday, pulling leg from upright. Was a 6 month old Fiesta.

3. Easy

ATB

Simon

Guinness

posted on 8/11/06 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't number 2 what Syd was hinting / threatening at a short while back?

Mike

RichardK

posted on 8/11/06 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Mmm, I heard this come up a few times about number 2, I think I will put a grub screw in the side of my upright to make sure as I will be going to Beverley.

Thanks for the info, very useful

Regards

Rich

[Edited on 8/11/06 by RichardK]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevec

posted on 8/11/06 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Just the engine number will be a bit of a pain I suppose,Guess what I am going to do before next Tuesday? Do you guys reckon 6mm grub will do it for us all.?
Steve

[Edited on 8/11/06 by stevec]

[Edited on 8/11/06 by stevec]

wilkingj

posted on 8/11/06 at 10:57 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a scrap engine and use the number off that. Trash the block or keep it as a spare... Saves changing the whole engine.
Oh... smear some oil over the number to dull it a bit

A bit naughty, but if you have the old block, you will know its not duplicated on their database.

Edit. I would drill through the housing and the boss, then put a M5 or M6 nut and bolt through, use a nyloc nut
I am not sure a screw would be what they really meant.

PS... got Nowt on mine, and they passed SVA earlier this year.

[Edited on 8/11/2006 by wilkingj]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 9/11/06 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
RE enginge number see U2u

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

Dave J

posted on 9/11/06 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Regards No2, mine got through without modification. I've seen Viento's with a 6mm grub screw locked in place with a locknut.
I would consider using a 8mm grubscrew and turn down the end to form a plain spiggot. Pre drill the hub and flange together the dia of the spiggot on the grubber. Remove the top hat ball joint holder and drill the hub and tap M8.
Put it all back together, the spiggott on the grub screw will nicely locate in the top hat ball joint holder and the locknut will lock it up nicely. Use a nyloc nut or shake proof washer for belt and braces effect
Best of luck with the retest.

cheers

Dave

Johnny T

posted on 9/11/06 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
sva fail

thanks for all the input. We have another V8 block with a number which we will discard after putting the number on our new engine, the original number has already magically disappeared and we are waiting for some stamps to arrive.
As for 2 we have put a strap all the way round with a pinch bolt at the bottom this seems to be OK but possibly a bit bulky. I'll look in to the grub screw way. The guy at Beverley said that this had only just come to light.
Thanks again, John

chrisj

posted on 18/11/06 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
Re 2

I've got a 8mm nut and bolt through mine to prevent lift out. Satisfied the examiner.

Re 3

They had me over because they could feel the edge of the dash through the rubber. I had to put a radius on it and fit the rubber again. Not sure about the strengthening bar fail though.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.