Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: conwerting two stroke
Kamikza

posted on 9/11/06 at 04:25 PM Reply With Quote
conwerting two stroke

Is ist posible to conwert two strok 50 cc petrol to two stroke 50 cc diesel ?? How is saw sthat the model plain engen you yust put hiter insted the spark and it works ????true or fals
smart51

posted on 9/11/06 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
You would need to raise the compression ratio quite a lot. You would also need fuel injection for diesel, not a carburettor. You don't need a spark plug but you might be able to fit a glow plug in the same hole.
02GF74

posted on 9/11/06 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kamikza
Is ist posible to conwert two strok 50 cc petrol to two stroke 50 cc diesel ?? How is saw sthat the model plain engen you yust put hiter insted the spark and it works ????true or fals

plain model engines are not same as diesel - they have a glow plug - basically some fancy wire that is very hot that is equivalent of the spark in 4 stroke.

Diesels work by compressing the gas so that is gets so hot that any fuel squirted in ignites.

Now diesels do have glow plugs too that are used when starting when the engines is cold; plus they also (old land rovers anywya) have a hot spot - some metal disc that helps combustion - at whcih point my knowledge of diesels come to an abrupt end.

So don't know if what you are asking is possible.

The US army are running diesel motorbikes - not sure if 4 or 2 stroke.

[Edited on 9/11/06 by 02GF74]

Kamikza

posted on 9/11/06 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
i whas tinking to conwert a 50 cc skuter tipe engen but then i nid a bosch pump to inject the tiesel an no way to get hier compresion ?Tanks any way I sad two stoke so no injectors how il i fitit

[Edited on 9/11/06 by Kamikza]

Kamikza

posted on 9/11/06 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
this is gasoline two stroke Rescued attachment 789036670.jpg
Rescued attachment 789036670.jpg

Kamikza

posted on 9/11/06 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
and this two stroke diesel wher can i get the pump can i use the pump that sprays water on the windsheld?? and how to put it Rescued attachment 2848177971.jpg
Rescued attachment 2848177971.jpg

NS Dev

posted on 9/11/06 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
you won't burn diesel in it, simple fact it will self destruct at the compression ratio required....

however, you could (not that you would want to!!!) burn alcohol/nitro mix in it with no spark plug if you raised the compression a bit and put a decompressor screw on it plus a blowtorch on the head when starting..............

WHY?????????

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

mookaloid

posted on 9/11/06 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kamikza
and this two stroke diesel wher can i get the pump can i use the pump that sprays water on the windsheld?? and how to put it

I would think a screen washer pump would do nicely to pump diesel in

ROFL

and as NS Dev says it would just explode if you raised the CR enough - diesel engines are made a lot stronger than petrol ones to stop them blowing up.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

viatron

posted on 9/11/06 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
I think you would need injectors and a timed pump, doesnt the pump in a diesel also act as the limiter, as i understand it, without a limiter a diesel can rev itself to destruction almost straight away, may be wrong though......

Mac

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
NS Dev

posted on 9/11/06 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
it does, but you can throttle a diesel instead, but its not the best way to control it.

Just think of a diesel engine as a petrol with severe pinking, explains it the easiest!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Kissy

posted on 9/11/06 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
You used to be able to get actual diesel engines for model planes, and yes they had carbs - very basic and cheeeeap.
NS Dev

posted on 9/11/06 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
didn't run on diesel tho, burnt methanol and nitro, just had no plug or glowplug, just a comp screw

gazza285

posted on 9/11/06 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, it has been done. At this years Shell Ecomarathon one competitor, from Denmark I think, ran a converted Puch two stroke engine on diesel. The diesel was injected, using a standard type injector fitted into the spark plug hole, but it was a measured and timed pulse as per a normal direct injection setup (only twice as fast obviously).

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
akumabito

posted on 9/11/06 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
While on the subject of converting engines...

How come you can not run a diesel engine on petrol? The fuel isn't injected until the highest compression is reached anyway, right? So there should be no pinking? And how come there's no high-revving diesels? Surely you can make an oversquare design with a high CR?

Jebus

posted on 9/11/06 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
because of the high compression ratio, the petrol would not want to coperate! plus the massive compresion needed for a diesal means it needs a long stroke and chunky componats these are heavy so it wont want to rev
ed_crouch

posted on 9/11/06 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
Diesels have a long stroke to get the torque, and high RPMs would mean that the piston accelerations would be flipping high, and would probably overload the big ends.

Also, Diesel doesnt burn that quick compared to petrol.

Also, burning petrol in a 20:1 compression engine would blow the f***in' cylinder head to mars!

Ed.

I-iii-iii-iii-ts ME!

Hurrah.

www.wings-and-wheels.net

MikeRJ

posted on 10/11/06 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ed_crouch
Diesels have a long stroke to get the torque

The torque comes from the very high compression, and the extra energy in diesel compared to petrol. Stroke has relatively little effect on torque for a given capacity engine, as the increase in area of the piston as the stroke gets shorter balances it out perfectly, in theory at least.

Kamikza

posted on 10/11/06 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
what is pinking? And can you find the puch page and im tinking of conwerting two stroke tomos or pocket bike engen.
gazza285

posted on 10/11/06 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
I don't know if there was a web page, I was looking at the car in the flesh.

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.