Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gear change switches
davy

posted on 11/11/06 at 12:34 AM Reply With Quote
Gear change switches

Can a steering wheel be purchased with two switches , one for up, and one for down. I have switches, but it means the wires have to turn with the steering wheel. Has anyone made up anything. It is a sierra column. what I would like is that the switches would make contact underneath instead of the wires turning with the wheel. Hope this makes sense.
Chippy

posted on 11/11/06 at 12:57 AM Reply With Quote
You could relocate your horn button to the dash, and use the horn contacts. Don't know if that would work, but worth looking into. Possabley wire the horn into the push stalk for the windscreen washer, if not using for something else. hth, Ray
zetec7

posted on 11/11/06 at 01:25 AM Reply With Quote
You can buy steering wheels with the switches already in - I've seen them somewhere online - I seem to recall them being branded Emerson Fittipaldi...don't know if that helps. I do recall they didn't have external wires, and looked to operate via rotating baseplate contacts. they were intended for track cars, I believe...try this link http://www.speeding.co.uk/acatalog/info_3040.html

Is that what you had in mind?

http://www.freewebs.com/zetec7/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 11/11/06 at 09:22 AM Reply With Quote
The horn contacts will likely just give you one connection as the other will be earth so no help there. You will probably need a curly umbilical wire which will give you enough slack to turn with the wheel (easier with a quick rack) connected to two push button switches installed on the spokes of the wheel.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
davy

posted on 13/11/06 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
steering wheel buttons

Tks. for your help,let you know how I got on. Davy
tks

posted on 14/11/06 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Gearchange

Just buy a esparco steering wheel

its pricey

but it comes with 2 horn buttons on the position of your thumps..

on the back of it you split it up to use 1 contact each..

then you can use every thing from the sierra including the sliding parts etc. etc.

the switches will switch the sierra wire to ground.

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.